Following a Path In XP ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 8, 2008.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Running XP and Firefox.

    Did some spyware and virus scans, and would like to ask a question regarding
    what was found. Several instances similar to the following example:

    C:\Documents and
    Settings\Steve\Cookies\[1].txt:\ad.yieldmanager.com.539b0606;"Found
    Tracking cookie.Yieldmanager";"Potentially dangerous object"

    What I don't understand is that when I go to to C:\Documents and
    Settings\Steve
    there is no Folder or File labeled Cookies.

    I have also changed the Folders settings to show all hidden files, but
    "Cookies", and what is after it, still doesn't show in Steve\.

    Not interested in asking now re the virus or whatever it found, but am
    interested in how XP organizes things, etc.

    So, just to learn something, and consider it of academic interest, what
    might be some reasons that a scan found something, gave the path to it quite
    exactly apparently, but I cannot find what it found when I try to follow it
    ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 8, 2008

  2. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Did some spyware and virus scans, and would like to ask a question regarding
    >what was found. Several instances similar to the following example:
    >
    >C:\Documents and
    >Settings\Steve\Cookies\[1].txt:\ad.yieldmanager.com.539b0606;"Found
    >Tracking cookie.Yieldmanager";"Potentially dangerous object"
    >
    >What I don't understand is that when I go to to C:\Documents and
    >Settings\Steve
    >there is no Folder or File labeled Cookies.

    I'm running 3.0 and I do have a cookies directory at that spot.

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060622113129AAihjcT
    says that firefox cookies are deeper in.
    "Go to Documents and settings>application data>mozilla> From there
    choose your user and then navigate to the cookies folder."

    If all else fails Run: "C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Cookies\"

    If there is a anything at that path it will open in explorer. Nothing
    will run just be shown.

    One other way is to use the FIND command and look for cookie

    And finally make sure everything is unhidden
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

    --

    Ahmadinejad's wife is much hotter than Palin!
    photobucket.com/albums/d57/b_gardenia/iran/Ahmadinejad_Wife.jpg

    , Nov 8, 2008