    photo lab that made my original test prints clearly used 720x720 mode and
    the results weren't very good.

    So... Now all I have to do is wait until January for my 4000!

    Big D, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Big D

    gsum Guest

    The 4000 looks good and doubtless it will sell by
    the shipload but one point - I would do a careful
    comparison of ink and paper costs as the 4000
    might cost more to run than the 7600. The 4000
    price is not much below that of the 7600 if my
    information is correct (about £1400 for the 4000
    and £2000 for the 7600).

    Graham

    "Big D" <> wrote in message
    > Hey there. A special thanks to Bob Hatch who made a couple test prints

    for

    gsum, Nov 19, 2003

  3. Big D

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:26:39 -0000, "gsum" <> wrote:

    >The 4000 looks good and doubtless it will sell by
    >the shipload but one point - I would do a careful
    >comparison of ink and paper costs as the 4000
    >might cost more to run than the 7600. The 4000
    >price is not much below that of the 7600 if my
    >information is correct (about £1400 for the 4000
    >and £2000 for the 7600).

    Since the 4000 uses the same carts as its larger
    brethren (the 7600 and 9600) how would the print
    costs be any different?

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Nov 19, 2003
  4. Big D

    Steve Young Guest

    "Rafe B." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 13:26:39 -0000, "gsum" <> wrote:
    >
    > >The 4000 looks good and doubtless it will sell by
    > >the shipload but one point - I would do a careful
    > >comparison of ink and paper costs as the 4000
    > >might cost more to run than the 7600. The 4000
    > >price is not much below that of the 7600 if my
    > >information is correct (about £1400 for the 4000
    > >and £2000 for the 7600).

    > Since the 4000 uses the same carts as its larger
    > brethren (the 7600 and 9600) how would the print
    > costs be any different?

    and too, you don't have to change black carts
    no penalty

    Steve Young, Nov 19, 2003
  5. Big D

    gsum Guest

    I didn't know that the cartridges were the same - haven't
    seen the spec. yet. I was just saying the costs should
    be considered.
    The comment stands for paper costs though.

    Graham

    gsum, Nov 19, 2003
  6. Big D

    Big D Guest

    "gsum" <> wrote in news:3fbb7f45$1
    @baen1673807.greenlnk.net:

    > I didn't know that the cartridges were the same - haven't
    > seen the spec. yet. I was just saying the costs should
    > be considered.
    > The comment stands for paper costs tho

    What's up with Epson's paper pricing, by the way? I need to look at some
    retailers, but their MSRP on paper is a little odd...

    They offer luster paper at 10", 20", 24", 36", 44" in 100' rolls that boil
    down to like .5 cents per square inch, but then they also have these rolls
    that are 8.3" and 13" that boil down to about 1.4 cents per square inch.

    Obviously, the only cheap size that the 4000 supports right now is 10", but
    one has to imagine that they'll release a 16" or 17" roll to match the
    4000's 17" width, and based on the logic I can sort of find in their
    pricing scheme, it'll be offered at the cheaper rate.

    Big D, Nov 19, 2003
  7. Big D

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Big D" <> wrote in message
    > Hey there. A special thanks to Bob Hatch who made a couple test prints

    for
    > me using his 7600 that came out beautifully, especially the 16x24! The
    > photo lab that made my original test prints clearly used 720x720 mode and
    > the results weren't very good.
    >
    > So... Now all I have to do is wait until January for my 4000!

    Hey, thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the prints but you must be
    mistaken on the 16x24, or you haven't been paying attention here. Digital
    will not print out that large, well it will, but you have to stand at the
    end of a football field to look at it. :)

    BTW, the UV spray that I use on my prints is:
    ClearJet
    Type A2000
    Semi-Gloss
    http://www.clearstarcorp.com/clearjet.asp

    2 or 3 light coats and any bronzing will disappear and the print will
    *smooth* out.

    --
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and
    religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the

    Bob Hatch, Nov 19, 2003
  8. Big D

    Jim Waggener Guest

    > Hey, thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the prints but you must be
    > mistaken on the 16x24, or you haven't been paying attention here. Digital
    > will not print out that large, well it will, but you have to stand at the
    > end of a football field to look at it. :)

    Roger that Bob. Of course using a FILM camera with Fujichrome 100F and a
    scanner WILL easily get you a great 16x24 print...even at arms length :)

    Jim Waggener, Nov 19, 2003
  9. Big D

    Bob Hatch Guest

    "Jim Waggener" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey, thanks for the kind words. Glad you liked the prints but you must

    be
    > > mistaken on the 16x24, or you haven't been paying attention here.

    Digital
    > > will not print out that large, well it will, but you have to stand at

    the
    > > end of a football field to look at it. :)

    > Roger that Bob. Of course using a FILM camera with Fujichrome 100F and a
    > scanner WILL easily get you a great 16x24 print...even at arms length :)

    Yup and the grain effect adds interest to the image.
    --
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power
    is inherent in the people; ...that it is their right and duty to be

    Bob Hatch, Nov 19, 2003