Folders sharing denied

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Gab, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. Gab

    Gab Guest

    Hello everybody,

    I have a new local network (a main desktop, a WiFi router attached to it
    with an Internet modem, and a laptop with a WiFi PC Card). The connectivity
    of the network is OK (everybody pings everybody), Internet is shared without
    any problem, but my file sharing works only one way !

    From the laptop (Windows/XP Home), I access to the folders and files which I
    have declared shared on the desktop.

    But from the desktop(Windows/XP Pro), impossible to access the folders
    shared on the laptop.
    The folders are in the Network Favorites, but if I click them, I get the
    error message (I translate from French) : "GG_hp\Shareddocs is not
    accessible. Maybe you have not the necessary permissions to use this network
    ressource. Contact the administrator of this server to know if you do have
    the access permission." The message includes also a strange extra :"Not
    enough memory on the server to process this command".

    I checked that the folders are indeed shared.
    1) I executed the cacls command in DOS mode, the folder is declared
    "Everybody : (OI)(CI) C" I think that "C" means Full Control.
    2) I viewed the properties of the folder in Windows' safe mode, and, again
    the only group mentionned is "Everybody" and the permissions are Mod, Read,
    Exec, Write, in short quite enough.

    Anybody knows where the problem could be ?

    Gab

    Gab, Sep 29, 2005

  2. Possible IrpStackSize issue - See:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177078

    Note - Norton AntiVirus is not a prerequiste for this error and recommended
    fix.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Oct 1, 2005

  3. Gab

    Gab Guest

    Doug Sherman,

    Thank you, this recepee worked perfectly. It's a good thing I mentionned
    this memory problem, I thought it was a fake message.

    Gab

    message de news: %...

    Gab, Oct 5, 2005
  4. I have a similar problem, but with a major difference. The error message I
    get mentions nothing about memory. It reads:
    "\\Desktop\shareddocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to
    use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permission. Access is denied."
    I AM the adminstrator. This is a laptop running XP Home, and the desktop
    also is running XP Home.
    Interestingly, I created another folder with a different name, and have no
    problem accessing that one!
    Does anyone have any ideas as to why I'm locked out of one and not the
    other? The sharing profiles are identical for the two.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgaW4gT2FrbGFuZA==?=, Dec 9, 2005