Folders inside Temp folder safe to delete?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm trying to create some more room on C drive and decided to look at
    the Windows temp directory. It was very full! So I'm rid of the files
    there now, but I kept the folders for now. Are these safe to delete?
    How did they get there in the first place? Are they recreated every
    time you reboot? Currently in there now I have:

    tc$15406
    pftF262~TMP
    ~rnsetup
    Captdr73
    Cookies
    EZ Cam
    Temporary Internet Files
    ferretsoft (greyed out0
    History
    {580937cf-4dcf-11d4-9875-00105ace7734}

    I clicked on the last one and there was a connection to ebay and
    registration to for logitech. The heck?

    Anyway, any help on whether to delete these or not is appreciated.
    Jim, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Jim

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Brian H¹© said:

    > In a desperate cry for help Jim said:
    >
    >> I'm trying to create some more room on C drive and decided to look at
    >> the Windows temp directory. It was very full! So I'm rid of the files
    >> there now, but I kept the folders for now. Are these safe to delete?
    >> How did they get there in the first place? Are they recreated every
    >> time you reboot? Currently in there now I have:
    >>
    >> tc$15406
    >> pftF262~TMP
    >> ~rnsetup
    >> Captdr73
    >> Cookies
    >> EZ Cam
    >> Temporary Internet Files
    >> ferretsoft (greyed out0
    >> History
    >> {580937cf-4dcf-11d4-9875-00105ace7734}
    >>
    >> I clicked on the last one and there was a connection to ebay and
    >> registration to for logitech. The heck?
    >>
    >> Anyway, any help on whether to delete these or not is appreciated.

    > If you go to Internet Options | Delete | Include offline content all that

    Internet Options | Delete Files | Include offline content all that

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware
    Brian H¹©, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I think I understand what you're saying, but is it safe to actually
    manually go in and delete those *folders* from Windows: Temp I just
    went into internet options and cleared cookies and deleted all offline
    content. The folders are still there. Do I need to reboot for the
    change to show?

    Jim, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Jim

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Jim said:

    > I think I understand what you're saying, but is it safe to actually
    > manually go in and delete those *folders* from Windows: Temp I just
    > went into internet options and cleared cookies and deleted all offline
    > content. The folders are still there. Do I need to reboot for the
    > change to show?

    The folders should disappear from Temporary Internet Files when you choose the
    Delete Files option.
    But yes, you can delete them manually, but if you do do it manually, make sure
    it is immediately after rebooting.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 10, 2003
  5. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    What operating system? Your Cookies, TIF and History
    folders should not be in the Windows TEMP folder.

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:06:34 -0500, in
    <bek3ac$61571$-berlin.de>
    Jim scrawled:

    >I'm trying to create some more room on C drive and decided to look at
    >the Windows temp directory. It was very full! So I'm rid of the files
    >there now, but I kept the folders for now. Are these safe to delete?
    >How did they get there in the first place? Are they recreated every
    >time you reboot? Currently in there now I have:
    >
    >tc$15406
    >pftF262~TMP
    >~rnsetup
    >Captdr73
    >Cookies
    >EZ Cam
    >Temporary Internet Files
    >ferretsoft (greyed out0
    >History
    >{580937cf-4dcf-11d4-9875-00105ace7734}
    >
    >I clicked on the last one and there was a connection to ebay and
    >registration to for logitech. The heck?
    >
    >Anyway, any help on whether to delete these or not is appreciated.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2003
  6. Jim

    Plato Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > I'm trying to create some more room on C drive and decided to look at
    > the Windows temp directory. It was very full! So I'm rid of the files
    > there now, but I kept the folders for now. Are these safe to delete?

    Delete all the folders as well for best results.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jul 10, 2003
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I have cookies, TIF and History folders outside the TEMP folder as well.
    I don't remember creating these folders in TEMP, but I guess I might
    have.

    Jim, Jul 10, 2003
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Sounds good. Will do. Thanks. :)
    Unk <> wrote in message
    > Yes, but reboot FIRST. Install files sometimes need to reboot to

    finish
    > an installation. Rebooting first, will insure that any installations

    are
    > complete and the files are no longer needed. The same goes for

    "Temporary
    > Internet Files": Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet

    Options,
    > and under "Temporary Internet Files", click the "Delete Files" button,

    check
    > the box, "Delete all offline content", "OK". After it finishes, click

    the
    > "Settings" button and lower the amount of disk space to use to 20 Meg.

    Click
    > "OK", "Apply". That will increase your hard drive space by how much

    was in
    > that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders that big are prone

    > crosslinked files. Clear it weekly, or sooner, especially if IE

    starts

    Jim, Jul 10, 2003
  9. Jim

    Brian H¹© Guest

    In a desperate cry for help Jim said:

    > I have cookies, TIF and History folders outside the TEMP folder as well.
    > I don't remember creating these folders in TEMP, but I guess I might
    > have.

    Go to Internet Options | General | Settings | Move Folder and make sure
    you are pointing to the Temporary Internet Files folder.

    Brian H¹©, Jul 10, 2003
  10. Jim

    Unk Guest

    You're welcome.

    Unk, Jul 10, 2003
  11. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:46:29 GMT, in
    <>
    Unk scrawled:

    >Yes, but reboot FIRST. Install files sometimes need to reboot
    >to finish an installation. Rebooting first, will insure that
    >any installations are complete and the files are no longer needed.
    >The same goes for "Temporary Internet Files":

    A reboot is not necessary for TIFs. Closing the browser is
    sufficient. The only time you would need to reboot for temporary
    internet files is if you wanted to delete the index.dat, or the
    entire folder, from DOS.

    <snip>
    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 10, 2003
  12. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Cool. I'm saving this thread it's chock full of good advice! :)

    Jim, Jul 10, 2003
  13. Jim

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:51:12 -0500, In this world we created "Jim"
    <> wrote :

    >Okay, sorry. Win 98 SE with IE 6.

    The free,"Clearbat" and Son Of clearbat,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    will do the lot.

    HTH :)

    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jul 10, 2003
  14. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    Boot into DOS - do NOT use 'Restart in MS-DOS', but 'Restart'.
    As the computer boots up again, hold the CTRL key until the
    DOS menu appears and choose 'Command Prompt Only'.

    At the DOS prompt type (assuming 'Windows' is where you
    operating system is installed):

    smartdrv
    cd c:\windows
    deltree /y tempor~1
    deltree /y cookies
    deltree /y history
    cd temp
    deltree /y tempor~1
    deltree /y cookies
    deltree /y history

    Now boot back into Windows, open a DOS window and type:

    cd c:\windows\temp
    deltree /y *.*

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:51:12 -0500, in
    <bekgfi$683d5$-berlin.de>
    Jim scrawled:

    >Okay, sorry. Win 98 SE with IE 6.
    >°Mike° <> wrote in message
    >> I'll ask you again. What operating system?
    >>

    >> On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:40:44 -0500, in
    >> <bekcbe$62j4f$-berlin.de>
    >> Jim scrawled:
    >>
    >> >I have cookies, TIF and History folders outside the TEMP
    >> >folder as well.
    >> >I don't remember creating these folders in TEMP, but I
    >> >guess I might have.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance