Folders in OE6 lock up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by vascat, Nov 30, 2004.

  1. vascat

    vascat Guest

    Running XP home on one computer and XP pro on another, with OE6 on both.
    Some 15 folders on each and message rules to divert incoming messages to
    them.

    Everything went well for months until a few weeks ago and now messages go to
    folders with no logic at all and folders become inaccessible from time to
    time (although indicating - rightly - that they have new messages): click
    on one and it will lock up; only way out is control, alt, delete and start
    again.

    Same if I go via right click and then open.

    Can find messages by using find and guessing at addresses, so they are
    there.

    Seems to have started after I installed SP 2, on each computer, but this
    seems a ridiculous connection.

    All advice very welcome - please reply to group.

    vascat

    ---

    vascat, Nov 30, 2004

  2. vascat

    Richard Guest

    vascat wrote:

    > Running XP home on one computer and XP pro on another, with OE6 on both.
    > Some 15 folders on each and message rules to divert incoming messages to
    > them.

    > Everything went well for months until a few weeks ago and now messages go
    > to folders with no logic at all and folders become inaccessible from time
    > to time (although indicating - rightly - that they have new messages):
    > click on one and it will lock up; only way out is control, alt, delete
    > and start again.

    > Same if I go via right click and then open.

    > Can find messages by using find and guessing at addresses, so they are
    > there.

    > Seems to have started after I installed SP 2, on each computer, but this
    > seems a ridiculous connection.

    > All advice very welcome - please reply to group.

    > vascat

    Scandisk may repair some minor faults, run it.
    Not sure with XP, but you may try cleaning out your folders using the
    "properties>>local files"
    route.
    OE has had an issue with some folders once they become to large and it winds
    up crashing.
    If you're into binary groups, do not save the media bodies, instead, save
    only the bare basics. The bodies just take up space and waste your drive.

    If the folders are for e-mail, create another storage area outside of OE.
    A program call dbxtract will seperate the individual mails from the dbx file
    and you can save them as text files.

    Also, spyware will wreck havoc with OE.
    Clean house and get rid of all the spyware.

    Richard, Nov 30, 2004