folder problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gordon, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Hi
    a few weeks ago I installed a new hard drive before doing so I copied
    all my documents and my wife's documents to our external hard drive. all
    seemed to go well, but now if I try to open my wife's docs to put them back
    on the C drive, the folder opens but the PC hangs for ages, also if I check
    in the task manager I notice that explorer is using all the CPU, even if I
    shut the folder again then explorer is still using all the CPU, so I shut
    explorer down and restart it from task manager and all is well. all the
    other files and photos, I backed up work well.
    I took the folder and copied it to my own desk top and it does the same,
    causing explorer to use the CPU and the PC too hang.

    All other folders on the PC work fine.

    The folder actually works if I wait 2 or 3 mins for each picture to open, or
    word doc.

    any ideas?

    I am using Windows XP Media centre SP2, 2 gig mem, Athlon X64 3700

    thanks

    Gordon
    Gordon, Dec 30, 2006

  2. Gordon

    beenthere Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > a few weeks ago I installed a new hard drive before doing so I copied
    > all my documents and my wife's documents to our external hard drive. all
    > seemed to go well, but now if I try to open my wife's docs to put them
    > back on the C drive, the folder opens but the PC hangs for ages, also if I
    > check in the task manager I notice that explorer is using all the CPU,
    > even if I shut the folder again then explorer is still using all the CPU,
    > so I shut explorer down and restart it from task manager and all is well.
    > all the other files and photos, I backed up work well.
    > I took the folder and copied it to my own desk top and it does the same,
    > causing explorer to use the CPU and the PC too hang.
    >
    > All other folders on the PC work fine.
    >
    > The folder actually works if I wait 2 or 3 mins for each picture to open,
    > or word doc.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Media centre SP2, 2 gig mem, Athlon X64 3700

    Try going directly to the folder and opening it, rather than
    through Explorer.

    Could be that there is too much in the folder.
    Try a re-organise.

    bw..OJ
    beenthere, Dec 30, 2006

  3. Gordon wrote:

    > Hi
    > a few weeks ago I installed a new hard drive before doing so I copied
    > all my documents and my wife's documents to our external hard drive. all
    > seemed to go well, but now if I try to open my wife's docs to put them
    > back on the C drive, the folder opens but the PC hangs for ages, also if I
    > check in the task manager I notice that explorer is using all the CPU,
    > even if I shut the folder again then explorer is still using all the CPU,
    > so I shut explorer down and restart it from task manager and all is well.
    > all the other files and photos, I backed up work well.
    > I took the folder and copied it to my own desk top and it does the same,
    > causing explorer to use the CPU and the PC too hang.
    >
    > All other folders on the PC work fine.
    >
    > The folder actually works if I wait 2 or 3 mins for each picture to open,
    > or word doc.

    You have a resident (on-access) virus scanner, and that folder contains a
    huge amount of files that will be scanned on open (for showing preview
    pictures or whatever)?

    Walter Mautner, Dec 30, 2006
  4. Gordon

    Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    > a few weeks ago I installed a new hard drive before doing so I copied
    >all my documents and my wife's documents to our external hard drive. all
    >seemed to go well, but now if I try to open my wife's docs to put them back
    >on the C drive, the folder opens but the PC hangs for ages, also if I check
    >in the task manager I notice that explorer is using all the CPU, even if I
    >shut the folder again then explorer is still using all the CPU, so I shut
    >explorer down and restart it from task manager and all is well. all the
    >other files and photos, I backed up work well.
    >I took the folder and copied it to my own desk top and it does the same,
    >causing explorer to use the CPU and the PC too hang.

    An .AVI file in that folder can cause this.

    Start | Run <type in>
    regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
    <enter> (reboot)
    Will disable the problem

    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    to toggle it back on, if it's not an AVI file problem.

    --
    The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006
    http://tinyurl.com/y5nnks