    open. When I try to create one it says that it is already in use by file type
    bmpfile but I cannot find any .bmp extension listed in my file types. How do
    I proceed to open the attachment and create the proper association?

    Bob H, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Bob H

    Boomer Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I received a .bmp attachment to E-Mail. It says I need a file
    > association to open. When I try to create one it says that it is
    > already in use by file type bmpfile but I cannot find any .bmp
    > extension listed in my file types. How do I proceed to open the
    > attachment and create the proper association?

    Hi
    In Explorer, click on the file, then hold down the "shift" key,
    right click the file and choose "open with".
    Browse to the application you want to open the file with. Like MSPaint
    or IE or Irfanview etc.

    If you 'always' want to open that type of file with that app,
    check the box "Always Open With. Click OK.

    I hope this helps.

    Boomer, Apr 12, 2004

  3. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    That worked fine Boomer but it brings up another question. It turns out to be
    a rather simple picture but it takes up 1 MB. It seems to me that I recall
    something about being able to convert to an image of less file size. Any
    ideas on that?

    Bob H, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Bob H

    Boomer Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in

    > That worked fine Boomer but it brings up another question. It
    > turns out to be a rather simple picture but it takes up 1 MB. It
    > seems to me that I recall something about being able to convert to
    > an image of less file size. Any ideas on that?

    Hi

    What graphics editor do you use? If you don't have one, try Irfanview
    at http://www.irfanview.com.

    Save your huge .bmp as a .jpg and resize the .jpg if needed.
    Or have the other person do this and have them resend it.

    Good freeware at these sites:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html
    http://www.freewarehome.com/
    http://www.pricelessware.org/