    it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
    as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.

    Thank you.
    Johnny 5, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Johnny 5

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Johnny 5 said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my desktop? I
    > have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and looked at the
    > selection in windows but is there any way to download pictures and be able
    > to use those as icons instead of the windows ones? I've tried to do it but
    > when I click browse to chhose the picture of my choice the picture doesnt
    > show up, it seems like it has to be an icon file but I dont know how to do
    > it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
    > as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
    >
    > Thank you.

    You already have many hundreds of icons scattered all over your system
    exe's contains them, and so do some dll's
    Take a look in a file called moricons that is somewhere inside your Windows
    folder for a fair selection.
    Brian H¹©, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Johnny 5

    °Mike° Guest

    http://www.iconbazaar.com/index.html

    http://www.iconfactory.com/

    http://www.entity.cc/

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:19:46 -0000, in
    <%kqCb.44829$>
    Johnny 5 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Johnny 5

    Harrison Guest

    Windows themes is one way to do it.
    You can download them or you can make your own.
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/expertzone/columns/sawyer/03june30.asp

    Harrison, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Johnny 5

    °Mike° Guest

    Well, DUH, Brain! What part of "I dont want to use desktop
    themes either" don't you understand?

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:40:28 -0500, in
    <>
    Harrison scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Johnny 5

    trout Guest

    Johnny 5 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my
    > desktop? I have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and
    > looked at the selection in windows but is there any way to download
    > pictures and be able to use those as icons instead of the windows
    > ones? I've tried to do it but when I click browse to chhose the
    > picture of my choice the picture doesnt show up, it seems like it has
    > to be an icon file but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone here
    > know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either as that
    > changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
    >
    > Thank you.

    I use the program called (oddly enough) ChangeIcon:
    http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/ChangeIcon_e.html
    There are tons of free icons on the net for downloading. An example
    of a Google search, using Icons + free + download:
    http://tinyurl.com/z018
    You can put them wherever you want, and use the ChangeIcon (or
    similar) program to navigate to it; to change any folder icon you wish
    (except System folders).
    --
    "Great fun."
    trout, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Johnny 5

    Harrison Guest

    Also see
    http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=icons&tg=dl-2001

    Harrison, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Johnny 5

    trout Guest

    Johnny 5 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my
    > desktop? I have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and
    > looked at the selection in windows but is there any way to download
    > pictures and be able to use those as icons instead of the windows
    > ones? I've tried to do it but when I click browse to chhose the
    > picture of my choice the picture doesnt show up, it seems like it has
    > to be an icon file but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone here
    > know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either as that
    > changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
    like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a right-click
    menu with Irfanview (free):
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    --
    "Get all the plug-ins at the site."
    trout, Dec 12, 2003
  9. Johnny 5

    Liz Guest

    "trout" wrote:

    > Johnny 5 wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > "Get all the plug-ins at the site."

    More input, Stephanie!
    Liz, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Johnny 5

    Johnny 5 Guest

    Thanks guys, I just love these Newsgroups. There's plenty there to bo going
    on with.

    Johnny 5, Dec 12, 2003
  11. Johnny 5

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Liz said:

    > "trout" wrote:
    >
    >> Johnny 5 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,

    >> "Get all the plug-ins at the site."

    > More input, Stephanie!

    LMAO
    Brian H¹©, Dec 12, 2003
  12. Johnny 5

    Milow Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Johnny 5 wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my
    >> desktop? I have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and
    >> looked at the selection in windows but is there any way to download
    >> pictures and be able to use those as icons instead of the windows
    >> ones? I've tried to do it but when I click browse to chhose the
    >> picture of my choice the picture doesnt show up, it seems like it has
    >> to be an icon file but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone here
    >> know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either as that
    >> changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
    > like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a right-click
    > menu with Irfanview (free):
    > http://www.irfanview.com/

    trout,
    I thought you might like to know that I have found that you can succesfully use (a large picture) and save it as an .ico file
    (using irfanview) by first loading the picture with irfanview (meaning: click on it !), then clicking on: image, Resize/Resample,
    then keep clicking on: Half, untill you get the picture about the size of an Icon, then click on: Image/Sharpen untill the smaller
    picture looks clear enough to you (the higher the quality of the original image helps)

    (This gets around the problem of a large picture just blacking out when saved as an .ico file when using irfanview)

    Milow
    Milow, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Johnny 5

    trout Guest

    Milow wrote:

    > trout wrote:

    <snip>

    >> Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
    >> like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a
    >> right-click
    >> menu with Irfanview (free):
    >> http://www.irfanview.com/

    > trout,
    > I thought you might like to know that I have found that you can
    > succesfully use (a large picture) and save it as an .ico file (using
    > irfanview) by first loading the picture with irfanview (meaning:
    > click on it !), then clicking on: image, Resize/Resample, then keep
    > clicking on: Half, untill you get the picture about the size of an
    > Icon, then click on: Image/Sharpen untill the smaller picture looks
    > clear enough to you (the higher the quality of the original image
    > helps)
    >
    > (This gets around the problem of a large picture just blacking out
    > when saved as an .ico file when using irfanview)
    >
    > Milow

    Yes; that *is* true, if you have the patience. And a picture you
    really like. Now that you mention it, though; I think I *do* have a
    folder with a half-dozen or so images that I've been meaning to try to
    convert (mostly 'personalized' icons that I sometimes do for friends).
    Thanks. Maybe your reminder will give me the impetus I needed to
    finally get around to it.
    --
    "Something constructive to do; the next time the dumb arguments break
    out."
    trout, Dec 13, 2003
  14. Johnny 5

    gangle Guest

    "trout" wrote
    > Milow wrote:
    >
    > > trout wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
    > >> like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a
    > >> right-click
    > >> menu with Irfanview (free):
    > >> http://www.irfanview.com/

    > > trout,
    > > I thought you might like to know that I have found that you can
    > > succesfully use (a large picture) and save it as an .ico file (using
    > > irfanview) by first loading the picture with irfanview (meaning:
    > > click on it !), then clicking on: image, Resize/Resample, then keep
    > > clicking on: Half, untill you get the picture about the size of an
    > > Icon, then click on: Image/Sharpen untill the smaller picture looks
    > > clear enough to you (the higher the quality of the original image
    > > helps)
    > >
    > > (This gets around the problem of a large picture just blacking out
    > > when saved as an .ico file when using irfanview)
    > >
    > > Milow

    > Yes; that *is* true, if you have the patience. And a picture you
    > really like. Now that you mention it, though; I think I *do* have a
    > folder with a half-dozen or so images that I've been meaning to try to
    > convert (mostly 'personalized' icons that I sometimes do for friends).

    Friends??? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah!

    gangle, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Johnny 5

    trout Guest

    gangle wrote:

    > "trout" wrote

    <snip>

    >> Now that you mention it, though; I think I *do* have a
    >> folder with a half-dozen or so images that I've been meaning to try
    >> to convert (mostly 'personalized' icons that I sometimes do for
    >> friends).

    > Friends??? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah!

    I'll try to explain the concept to you. Think of the two
    hitch-hikers and the aunt that you keep in the freezer; and occasionally
    pose for your 'tea-parties'.
    Sort of like *that*; without breaking any laws.
    --
    "Of governments, or nature."
    trout, Dec 13, 2003
  16. Johnny 5

    gangle Guest

    "trout" wrote
    > gangle wrote:
    >
    > > "trout" wrote

    > <snip>
    >
    > >> Now that you mention it, though; I think I *do* have a
    > >> folder with a half-dozen or so images that I've been meaning to try
    > >> to convert (mostly 'personalized' icons that I sometimes do for
    > >> friends).

    > > Friends??? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahah!

    > I'll try to explain the concept to you. Think of the two
    > hitch-hikers and the aunt that you keep in the freezer; and occasionally
    > pose for your 'tea-parties'.

    You are, as usual, clueless: I don't have an aunt, and there is only
    one hitchhiker in the freezer. Jesus H. Christ.

    --
    If You Eat Shit, You Will Eventually Shit Ultra-Shit
    gangle, Dec 13, 2003
  17. Johnny 5

    Milow Guest

    trout wrote:
    > Milow wrote:
    >
    >> trout wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
    >>> like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a
    >>> right-click
    >>> menu with Irfanview (free):
    >>> http://www.irfanview.com/

    >> trout,
    >> I thought you might like to know that I have found that you can
    >> succesfully use (a large picture) and save it as an .ico file (using
    >> irfanview) by first loading the picture with irfanview (meaning:
    >> click on it !), then clicking on: image, Resize/Resample, then keep
    >> clicking on: Half, untill you get the picture about the size of an
    >> Icon, then click on: Image/Sharpen untill the smaller picture looks
    >> clear enough to you (the higher the quality of the original image
    >> helps)
    >>
    >> (This gets around the problem of a large picture just blacking out
    >> when saved as an .ico file when using irfanview)
    >>
    >> Milow

    > Yes; that *is* true, if you have the patience. And a picture you
    > really like. Now that you mention it, though; I think I *do* have a
    > folder with a half-dozen or so images that I've been meaning to try to
    > convert (mostly 'personalized' icons that I sometimes do for friends).
    > Thanks. Maybe your reminder will give me the impetus I needed to
    > finally get around to it.

    I just got around to creating a couple more myself since the subject came up.

    Is there a way to change icons for folders other then the My Documents folder in Windows98se ?
    if so how ?.

    Have a happy iconering enginering day !

    Milow
    Milow, Dec 13, 2003
  18. Johnny 5

    Tom Miller Guest

    I believe I just read someplace that the .ico file needs to be 16 x 16
    pixels to use it without problems.
    Tom

    +++++++++++
    Onsite Tech support and remote Website Design at www.bluecollarcc.com
    Need a dos file? I have 100,000's online at www.chatnfiles.com
    Excellent Free Website training on the Web at: www.w3schools.com
    Tom Miller, Dec 13, 2003
  19. Johnny 5

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 11:21:39 -0000, in
    <bret10$2h0nl$-berlin.de>
    Milow scrawled:

    <snip>

    >I just got around to creating a couple more myself since the subject came up.
    >
    >Is there a way to change icons for folders other then the My Documents folder in Windows98se ?
    >if so how ?.
    >
    >Have a happy iconering enginering day !
    >
    >Milow

    Please change your line wrap to 72 characters. Thanks.

    Regarding the icons, is it system icons that you wish to change?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 13, 2003
  20. Johnny 5

    trout Guest

    Milow wrote:
    <snip>

    > I just got around to creating a couple more myself since the subject
    > came up.
    >
    > Is there a way to change icons for folders other then the My
    > Documents folder in Windows98se ? if so how ?.
    >
    > Have a happy iconering enginering day !
    >
    > Milow

    The *system* folder icons can be changed from the Control Panel;
    Display; Effects tab. For other folder icons, I use "ChangeIcon".
    --
    "As mentioned in my *first* post in this thread."
    trout, Dec 14, 2003