Folder Lock: How secure?? Anything better?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Sam, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I've recently installed an encryption program called Folder Lock that uses
    256-bit Blowfish and hides files in a "Locker" folder.

    Trouble is the passwords are restricted to about 12-15 characters, they are
    not case-sensitive, and only textual (alphabetic and numeric) charters can
    be used.

    Also, I've read that data can be decrypted simply by moving the Locker
    folder to a new directory and re-installing the program, creating a new
    password and then it will helpfully unencrypted the data previously
    encrypted with a different password.

    Does anyone have any experience using Folder Lock? Just how secure is it?
    Would the severe limit on passwords in relation to their length and non-case
    sensitive, textual characters only mean that someone could easily hack the
    data files and quickly determine the password using another program?

    I'm wanting to secure my laptop in the event of theft, as well as to secure
    files stored on a flash drive. It doesn't have to withstand the most
    sophisticated attacks, but it has to be robust enough so that a computer
    hacker won't gain access.

    Any thoughts on Folder Lock or suggestions for other relatively simple and
    reliable encryption programs would be appreciated.

    Folder Lock has the advantage of a very simple interface and avoids all of
    the PGP sort of complexity etc that you often encounter with encryption
    programs. The thing is, does it work?

    Any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

    Sam

    Sam, Feb 7, 2006

  2. On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:08:08 -0500, Sam <> wrote:

    > I've recently installed an encryption program called Folder Lock that uses
    > 256-bit Blowfish and hides files in a "Locker" folder.

    I've never used Folder Lock. I've previously used, and liked
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    Regards, Dave Hodgins

    David W. Hodgins, Feb 8, 2006

  3. Sam

    Donnie Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > I've recently installed an encryption program called Folder Lock that uses
    > 256-bit Blowfish and hides files in a "Locker" folder.
    >
    > Trouble is the passwords are restricted to about 12-15 characters, they

    are
    > not case-sensitive, and only textual (alphabetic and numeric) charters can
    > be used.
    >
    > Also, I've read that data can be decrypted simply by moving the Locker
    > folder to a new directory and re-installing the program, creating a new
    > password and then it will helpfully unencrypted the data previously
    > encrypted with a different password.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience using Folder Lock? Just how secure is it?
    > Would the severe limit on passwords in relation to their length and

    non-case
    > sensitive, textual characters only mean that someone could easily hack the
    > data files and quickly determine the password using another program?
    >
    > I'm wanting to secure my laptop in the event of theft, as well as to

    secure
    > files stored on a flash drive. It doesn't have to withstand the most
    > sophisticated attacks, but it has to be robust enough so that a computer
    > hacker won't gain access.
    >
    > Any thoughts on Folder Lock or suggestions for other relatively simple and
    > reliable encryption programs would be appreciated.
    >
    > Folder Lock has the advantage of a very simple interface and avoids all of
    > the PGP sort of complexity etc that you often encounter with encryption
    > programs. The thing is, does it work?
    >
    > Any helpful comments would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Sam

    I've never used filder lock but I've always heard good things about
    blowfish. Apparently, there are about 150 other programs that use blowfish
    besides folder lock. You might feel better w/ one of them.
    http://www.schneier.com/blowfish-products.html
    donnie.

    Donnie, Feb 8, 2006
  4. "Sam" <> wrote in

    > I've recently installed an encryption program called Folder Lock
    > that uses 256-bit Blowfish and hides files in a "Locker" folder.
    >
    > Trouble is the passwords are restricted to about 12-15 characters,
    > they are not case-sensitive, and only textual (alphabetic and
    > numeric) charters can be used.

    I'll second David's recommendation for TrueCrypt. It mounts a
    container file as a disk drive and anything written/read to this
    drive is encrypted.
    o It's freeware
    o It has 11 encryption algorithms to choose including Blowfish & AES
    o Maximum password length is 64 characters, case sensitive.
    o It's open-source
    o You can open container files over a network.
    o Easy to use.
    Check it out

    <http://www.truecrypt.org>

    HTH,