    Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie Mabel
    in Oz?

    Ben

    Ben Clay, Jun 18, 2005

  2. In article <42b4937b$0$23714$>,
    "Ben Clay" <> writes:
    > Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie Mabel
    > in Oz?

    There was (and may still be) a scheme based on DNS to route faxes
    across the internet, and send them from modem local to the
    recipient. Demon were the local sender for the whole UK some 10
    years ago. I'm racking my brains, but I can't remember what it
    was called, which makes it difficult to see if it's still running.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel

    Andrew Gabriel, Jun 18, 2005

  3. Ben Clay

    George Guest

    "Ben Clay" <> wrote in message
    > Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie
    > Mabel in Oz?
    >
    > Ben

    I might be wrong. I think it happened once before....But, as far as I'm
    aware, connecting a fax machine to an ATA using a normal VOIP sevice
    would work. Although, there are some issues with compression codecs, so
    G711 is recommended, as this is uncompressed PCM. As I said, I might be
    wrong, so feel free to correct me.

    Geo

    George, Jun 18, 2005
  4. Ben Clay

    John Guest

    In article <42b4968d$0$38043$>, Andrew Gabriel
    <> writes
    > Demon were the local sender for the whole UK some 10
    >years ago. I'm racking my brains, but I can't remember what it
    >was called, which makes it difficult to see if it's still running.

    DFax, I think.
    --
    Hugh Janus Constipation is the thief of time, but diaorrehia waits
    for no man!!

    John, Jun 19, 2005
  5. Ben Clay

    Guest

    George wrote:
    > "Ben Clay" <> wrote in message
    > > Just a thought: is there a Fax Over IP offerring - so I can fax Auntie
    > > Mabel in Oz?
    > >
    > > Ben

    > I might be wrong. I think it happened once before....But, as far as I'm
    > aware, connecting a fax machine to an ATA using a normal VOIP sevice
    > would work. Although, there are some issues with compression codecs, so
    > G711 is recommended, as this is uncompressed PCM. As I said, I might be
    > wrong, so feel free to correct me.

    Uncompressed PCM is of course perfectly adequate for FAX, and G711 is
    that quality codec, but.. You won't be guaranteed 64k PCM end to end if
    you are using an IP leg which traverses the public Internet.
    It IS the weakest link.

    -- The PG --

    , Jun 21, 2005