    Thanks,

    Thufir

    , Dec 2, 2005

  2. Guest

    Tobias Erichsen wrote:
    > If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
    > (www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
    > SIP-link.

    this looks interesting. I also came across

    "FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange
    things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can
    occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare
    and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol,
    such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP
    networks."
    <http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html>

    -Thufir

    , Dec 2, 2005

  3. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >I came across <http://www.tpc.int/verify.html>, which claims that it's
    > possible to send a FAX by e-mail, for free, which sounds very cool.
    >
    > In terms of VoIP and FoIP:
    > "More generally though, faxing over IP is possible, but has to be
    > specifically supported. Many VoIP providers do not support faxing,
    > purely because it adds more overheads to their network, and the
    > benefits of FoIP are not as obvious as VoIP (namely, because there is
    > no compression, and because faxing does not usually involve long phone
    > calls, the savings are not as large)."
    > <http://ozvoip.com/faq.php#foip>
    >
    > What are some common ways of doing this from a soft phone setup? While
    > I've yet to make a skype call to a person, I've tested skype and it
    > seems to work fine. I was surprised to not find a plug-in of some sort
    > enabling FoIP.

    If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
    (www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
    SIP-link.

    It is possible to use both T.38 and T.30 (softfax using a G.711 transparent
    link). When using T.30 the ip-connection to your provider should be rather
    good (latency/jitter/packetloss) as the modem-modulation of T.30 is a bit
    less resilient against bad line-conditions as T.38...

    Tobias

    Tobias Erichsen, Dec 2, 2005
  4. <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Tobias Erichsen wrote:
    > ..
    > > If you have a CAPI-compliant fax-application, you can use the XCAPI
    > > (www.xcapi.com) to send and receive fax-documents over a H.323 or
    > > SIP-link.

    > ..
    >
    > this looks interesting. I also came across
    >
    > "FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange
    > things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can
    > occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare
    > and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol,
    > such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP
    > networks."
    > <http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html>

    Actually they are right - you need a really good connection with low
    latency,
    low jitter and low (better zero ;-) packet-loss.

    So on a normal WAN-link (isdn or dsl) lot's of times this won't be easy to
    achieve - and it is exactly the reason why T.38 was invented. But even for
    T.38 too much packet-loss and bad latency are not really helpful.

    The softfax (T.30) mode in XCAPI was really implemented for use within
    LANs. Because there is quite a bit of environments where T.38 is not viable
    (very depending on the voip-infrastructure in place), in that case T.30
    over a G.711 link can be a good solution to pile of problematic
    configurations....

    Tobias

    Tobias Erichsen, Dec 2, 2005