    software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    budget.

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 18, 2011

  2. Deborah Weiner

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:07:45 -0500, Deborah Weiner <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >(FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >
    >What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    >SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    >expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    >to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.
    >
    >I'm looking for a solution that a single person can use on either
    >Linux (Fedora 13) or Windows (Windows 7). I don't mind paying for the
    >software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    >budget.

    I suspect you may find the range of options to be quite limited.

    The problem is that fax usage, having peaked around 20 years ago, has
    been in gradual decline ever since. It was already well into its
    downturn long before VoIP appeared, so a developer would have been
    reluctant to invest in a low-cost product and launch it into a
    declining market with a limited lifespan.

    Emailing scanned attachments has replaced fax for many people because
    its cheaper to send, more reliable, and gives a better quality output,
    especially if detailed colour documents are involved.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Feb 18, 2011

  3. On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:55:50 +0800, Chris Blunt <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:07:45 -0500, Deborah Weiner <>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >>(FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >>accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >>codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >>appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >>
    >>What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    >>SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    >>expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    >>to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.

    >I suspect you may find the range of options to be quite limited.
    >
    >Emailing scanned attachments has replaced fax for many people because
    >its cheaper to send, more reliable, and gives a better quality output,
    >especially if detailed colour documents are involved.
    >
    >Chris

    I realize faxing is archaic at this point, however many government
    agencies refuse to accept emails.

    Does anyone know of a solution that would allow me to fax over a
    SIP/VOIP line?

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 18, 2011
  4. Deborah Weiner

    Chris Blunt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:07:32 -0500, Deborah Weiner <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:55:50 +0800, Chris Blunt <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:07:45 -0500, Deborah Weiner <>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >>>(FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >>>accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >>>codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >>>appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >>>
    >>>What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    >>>SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    >>>expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    >>>to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.

    >>I suspect you may find the range of options to be quite limited.
    >>
    >>Emailing scanned attachments has replaced fax for many people because
    >>its cheaper to send, more reliable, and gives a better quality output,
    >>especially if detailed colour documents are involved.
    >>
    >>Chris

    >I realize faxing is archaic at this point, however many government
    >agencies refuse to accept emails.
    >
    >Does anyone know of a solution that would allow me to fax over a
    >SIP/VOIP line?

    I know this still isn't exactly what you're asking for, but there are
    services such as:

    http://www.faxaway.com/

    and

    http://www.efax.com/

    which allow you to send faxes from a computer.

    Chris
    Chris Blunt, Feb 18, 2011
  5. Deborah Weiner

    Woody Guest

    "Chris Blunt" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 22:07:32 -0500, Deborah Weiner
    > <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 08:55:50 +0800, Chris Blunt
    >><>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:07:45 -0500, Deborah Weiner
    >>><>

    >>>I suspect you may find the range of options to be quite
    >>>limited.
    >>>
    >>>Emailing scanned attachments has replaced fax for many people
    >>>because
    >>>its cheaper to send, more reliable, and gives a better quality
    >>>output,
    >>>especially if detailed colour documents are involved.
    >>>
    >>>Chris

    >>I realize faxing is archaic at this point, however many
    >>government
    >>agencies refuse to accept emails.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a solution that would allow me to fax over
    >>SIP/VOIP line?

    > I know this still isn't exactly what you're asking for, but
    > there are
    > services such as:
    >
    > http://www.faxaway.com/
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.efax.com/
    >
    > which allow you to send faxes from a computer.
    >
    > Chris

    Or even
    http://www.faxtastic.co.uk/

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
    Woody, Feb 18, 2011
  6. In message <>, Deborah Weiner
    <> writes

    >I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >(FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >
    >What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    >SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    >expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    >to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.
    >
    >I'm looking for a solution that a single person can use on either
    >Linux (Fedora 13) or Windows (Windows 7). I don't mind paying for the
    >software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    >budget.

    Having read the follow ups to this I guess I'm missing something!

    I have an HP Officejet 6500 printer/fax on a VOIP number from
    www.voip.co.uk Outgoing calls are via one of several Betamax companies,
    which one is determined by dialling rules to give the lowest cost
    routing.

    I send and receive faxes from all over the world without a problem. I
    can also fax direct from Word by selecting the Officejet fax function as
    the printer.

    What am I missing?

    Malcolm
    Malcolm Loades, Feb 18, 2011
  7. Deborah Weiner wrote:
    > I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    > (FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    > accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    > codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the

    Actually, done properly, they don't use codecs at all over the VoIP leg.
    The fax data is demodulated, or never modulated, at the source, and is
    sent as the raw digital stream, only being modulated if it breaks out
    onto a 3.1kHz audio channel. There may be some error correction added,
    I guess.

    > appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.

    If you are going to send fax without doing it properly, you simply need
    G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not in North America) all the way to the
    circuit switched network break out. The difficulty is that you need no
    dropped packets and no jitter buffer re-alignments for it to work reliably.
    David Woolley, Feb 18, 2011
  8. David Woolley wrote:

    >If you are going to send fax without doing it properly, you simply need
    >G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not in North America) all the way to the
    >circuit switched network break out. The difficulty is that you need no
    >dropped packets and no jitter buffer re-alignments for it to work reliably.

    Experience suggests that fax-over-SIP works for some people until it
    suddenly stops working for no apparent reason.

    Doing "proper" fax over IP requires T.38, but implementation seems to be
    spotty and inconsistent.
    Roger Burton West, Feb 18, 2011
  9. Deborah Weiner

    Roger Mills Guest

    On 18/02/2011 00:07, Deborah Weiner wrote:

    > I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    > (FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    > accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    > codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    > appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >
    > What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    > SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    > expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    > to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.
    >
    > I'm looking for a solution that a single person can use on either
    > Linux (Fedora 13) or Windows (Windows 7). I don't mind paying for the
    > software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    > budget.
    >
    > Deb

    Are you already using VoIP for voice calls, with an ordinary analog
    telephone plugged into an ATA or into a router which has built-in VoIP
    support?

    If so, you should be able to send and receive faxes by plugging a fax
    machine[1] into one channel of your ATA instead of a phone - I certainly
    can. You would, of course, have to print the document first and then
    feed it into the fax machine.

    If you want to send it direct from the computer, I don't see why you
    can't use a fax/modem connected to an ATA. Most fax/modems come bundled
    with software which looks like a printer driver to the OpSys (Windows
    anyway - don't know about Linux)- so you simply 'print' outgoing faxes
    to this device.

    [1] Since the use of faxes is going out of fashion big time, lots of fax
    machines are given away on the likes of Freecycle, so you can probably
    pick one up for free if you haven't already got one. Or, as others have
    said, some 'all-in-one' machines can send faxes directly - and I've seen
    quite a few of those offered on Freecycle/Freegle too.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger
    Roger Mills, Feb 18, 2011
  10. Deborah Weiner

    Graham. Guest

    "Deborah Weiner" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    > (FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    > accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    > codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    > appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >
    > What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    > SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    > expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    > to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.
    >
    > I'm looking for a solution that a single person can use on either
    > Linux (Fedora 13) or Windows (Windows 7). I don't mind paying for the
    > software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    > budget.
    >
    > Deb

    Have you tried sending a fax over the existing hardware you are using for voice?
    I occasionally send faxes via smartvoip and they seem to be received OK, I just sent
    a two page fax from Microsoft Fax with a lot of graphics to myself via a fax to email service, and I received it
    flawlessly.

    For the record the hardware is a Lynksys PAP2 ATA which I think is negotiating
    a G711u codec with Smartvoip. All echo cancellation is enabled incidently, if
    I had a problem sending faxes, the first thing I would do is disable those settings.

    The Fax to email service I use for incoming faxes is from ukddi.com, free, and a normal
    geographic number.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Feb 19, 2011
  11. Roger Burton West <> wrote:
    > David Woolley wrote:
    >
    > >If you are going to send fax without doing it properly, you simply need
    > >G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not in North America) all the way to the
    > >circuit switched network break out. The difficulty is that you need no
    > >dropped packets and no jitter buffer re-alignments for it to work reliably.

    > Experience suggests that fax-over-SIP works for some people until it
    > suddenly stops working for no apparent reason.

    If you route through a commodity provider (eg Betamax), the routing can
    change based on the phase of the moon, or whether the current time is
    divisible by 3. So it works sometimes, and then doesn't work when you try a
    minute later. Particularly if you're going to international destinations.

    > Doing "proper" fax over IP requires T.38, but implementation seems to be
    > spotty and inconsistent.

    I haven't found any consumer VOIP provider that supports T.38 in any case.

    Fax2email and web2fax services are probably your best bet. But you don't
    get to have a portable number (as you would with SIP): if your F2E provider
    stops working you need to get a new number.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Feb 19, 2011
  12. On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 00:33:32 -0000, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >"Deborah Weiner" <> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >> (FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >> accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >> codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >> appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.
    >>
    >> What I need help finding is a FOIP server that can interface with a
    >> SIP/VOIP connection. When I google for servers, I either come up with
    >> expensive professional software meant for large businesses, or links
    >> to the free fax service providers. Neither of those is good for me.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a solution that a single person can use on either
    >> Linux (Fedora 13) or Windows (Windows 7). I don't mind paying for the
    >> software, but $1000+ commercial options are obviously not within my
    >> budget.
    >>
    >> Deb

    >Have you tried sending a fax over the existing hardware you are using for voice?

    I realize I was inadvertently vague.

    My existing voice "hardware" is my cell phone. My VOIP solution is via
    soft phones clients on my cellphone and my laptop.

    I'm interested in a pure software solution. What I would like to do is
    send a fax over a VOIP softphone connected over wifi.

    I would think "in theory" this is possible, as long as I use a
    softphone with the correct codec. In practice it may not be possible.
    There may not be a clear way to push the fax signal to the softphone,
    instead of the physical fax-modem port on the computer.

    >I occasionally send faxes via smartvoip and they seem to be received OK, I just sent
    >a two page fax from Microsoft Fax with a lot of graphics to myself via a fax to email service, and I received it
    >flawlessly.
    >
    >For the record the hardware is a Lynksys PAP2 ATA which I think is negotiating
    >a G711u codec with Smartvoip. All echo cancellation is enabled incidently, if
    >I had a problem sending faxes, the first thing I would do is disable those settings.
    >
    >The Fax to email service I use for incoming faxes is from ukddi.com, free, and a normal
    >geographic number.

    Someone had said to use this codec: G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not
    in North America). I see from googling that A-Law is in Europe and
    U-Law is in the US. I'll be backpacking through Oceana (AU, NZ, PNG)
    and some parts of SE Asia for about six months. I already know I'm
    going to have to do a reasonable amount of faxing. When I'm not
    travelling I'm in the US and would like to use my home wifi
    connection.

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 19, 2011
  13. Deborah Weiner

    alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings, Deborah Weiner
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > I'm interested in a pure software solution. What I would like to do is
    > send a fax over a VOIP softphone connected over wifi.
    >
    > I would think "in theory" this is possible, as long as I use a
    > softphone with the correct codec. In practice it may not be possible.

    In some circumstances the wifi could end up being the most lossy/jittery
    link in the chain, so if it doesn't work you could try connecting with an
    ethernet cable instead.

    > Someone had said to use this codec: G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not
    > in North America). I see from googling that A-Law is in Europe and
    > U-Law is in the US. I'll be backpacking through Oceana (AU, NZ, PNG)
    > and some parts of SE Asia for about six months.

    It's where your SIP provider breaks out to the PSTN that the codec matters
    for, not where your SIP client is.

    > I already know I'm going to have to do a reasonable amount of faxing. When
    > I'm not travelling I'm in the US and would like to use my home wifi
    > connection.

    A faxing holiday? Takes all sorts, I suppose...

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    -- Andrew Crossley, ACS:Law, 13 August 2010
    alexd, Feb 19, 2011

  14. >> I would think "in theory" this is possible, as long as I use a
    >> softphone with the correct codec. In practice it may not be possible.

    >In some circumstances the wifi could end up being the most lossy/jittery
    >link in the chain, so if it doesn't work you could try connecting with an
    >ethernet cable instead.

    Point taken.

    >> Someone had said to use this codec: G.711 A-Law (assuming you are not
    >> in North America). I see from googling that A-Law is in Europe and
    >> U-Law is in the US. I'll be backpacking through Oceana (AU, NZ, PNG)
    >> and some parts of SE Asia for about six months.

    >It's where your SIP provider breaks out to the PSTN that the codec matters
    >for, not where your SIP client is.

    Okay, well my SIP providers will all be in the US, in that case I'll
    assume U-Law until I learn otherwise.

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 19, 2011
  15. On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 19:07:45 -0500, Deborah Weiner <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for information on sending faxes on a small scale over IP.
    >(FOIP). In particular I'd like to make use of one of my many SIP
    >accounts to transmit the fax information. I know they need special
    >codecs and I'll figure out which of my SIP accounts support the
    >appropriate fax codecs once I have a server I want to use.

    I made a little progress by searcing for "Fax over SIP" instead of
    "Fax over VOIP".

    A plugin for Microsoft Fax:
    http://www.faxback.com/transfer/msFaxPluginDownload.aspx

    Kapanga, a softphone with fax support/codecs:
    http://www.kapanga.net/IP/home.cfm

    Kapanga looks like it may be a bit of a sneak as the forums indicate
    the fax codec needs special licensing.

    I'm using Linux as my OS but I'll try them when I boot back into
    Windows.

    Does anyone else know of any other options to use a broadband SIP
    softphone connection to send faxes that does NOT involve using a 3rd
    party web/email service?

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 20, 2011
  16. Deborah Weiner wrote:

    > My existing voice "hardware" is my cell phone. My VOIP solution is via
    > soft phones clients on my cellphone and my laptop.

    I would think the chances of anything but T.38 working from a cell phone
    are rather low, as you are asking for better than cellphone voice
    quality, i.e. you are asking for low jitter, low delay, low loss
    transmission at more than six times the GSM full rate bit rate.

    Generally mobile phone companies support IP on a best effort basis,
    giving priority to non-IP speech.

    What I didn't mention before is that the other problem you may get with
    VoIP is delay. Some modems will fail to train up initially if the delay
    is excessive. I'm not sure if this applies to any fax modems, but it
    was certainly of concern to BT with 21CN (which uses a VoIP backbone) as
    it will prevent some older modems working on the PSTN.

    Cellphones have quite a significant processing delay.

    I don't know what connection quality T.38 needs. Unless it buffers
    whole pages, it may suffer with poor connections, as well.
    David Woolley, Feb 20, 2011
  17. On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:14:55 +0000, David Woolley
    <> wrote:

    >Deborah Weiner wrote:
    >

    >> My existing voice "hardware" is my cell phone. My VOIP solution is via
    >> soft phones clients on my cellphone and my laptop.
    >>

    >I would think the chances of anything but T.38 working from a cell phone
    >are rather low, as you are asking for better than cellphone voice
    >quality, i.e. you are asking for low jitter, low delay, low loss
    >transmission at more than six times the GSM full rate bit rate.

    I don't want to fax over my cell phone. The reason why I'm looking for
    a softpfax solution is that my only "phone" line is cellular. I don't
    have a POTS line.

    I would like to send faxes over a SIP softphone connection installed
    on my laptop. That connection will be over broadband - either DSL or
    cable modem, or public wifi access points.

    Deb
    Deborah Weiner, Feb 20, 2011
  18. Deborah Weiner <> wrote:
    > I would like to send faxes over a SIP softphone connection installed
    > on my laptop. That connection will be over broadband - either DSL or
    > cable modem, or public wifi access points.

    Is the main reason you want to use a softphone so that you aren't tied to a
    particular fax provider? I don't really see the difference between paying a
    tenner (or whatever) to a VOIP provider who gives you X mins of calls and
    paying the same tenner to a webfax provider who gives you Y pages of fax.
    Or is there another reason?

    I sometimes do quite a lot of faxing. I've tried fax over VOIP, from a fax
    modem, using a fax service on the web, and an old-fashioned fax machine over
    both cheap phone companies (that use VOIP for transit) and BT. The only
    ones that worked reliably (to UK, Europe and Africa) were the web service,
    and the fax machine on BT.

    For the web service I used
    http://www.popfax.com/

    Not the cheapest, but it's user friendly and it works.

    These days I just keep the old fax machine and drag it out for the occasions
    when it's necessary, making sure I route calls via BT.

    IMO messing about with fax over SIP is going to cause you a significant
    amount of pain. Do you really want to spend hours retrying, telling your
    callers to ring back, getting pages halfway printed before the connection
    gives up, etc etc?

    Now Africa is probably an extreme case (though one where fax is still
    well-used) but IME fax on VOIP Just Doesn't Work. YMMV of course.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Feb 20, 2011
  19. On 19/2/11 11:38, Theo Markettos wrote:
    > Roger Burton West<> wrote:
    >> David Woolley wrote:

    >> Doing "proper" fax over IP requires T.38, but implementation seems to be
    >> spotty and inconsistent.

    > I haven't found any consumer VOIP provider that supports T.38 in any case.

    http://www.t38faxing.com/ are a consumer VOIP provider that supports
    (outgoing) T.38, for incoming you can use just about any fax2email
    provider. (most voip providers do it nowadays)

    Thomas Kenyon, Feb 22, 2011
  20. Thomas Kenyon <> wrote:
    > http://www.t38faxing.com/ are a consumer VOIP provider that supports
    > (outgoing) T.38, for incoming you can use just about any fax2email
    > provider. (most voip providers do it nowadays)

    Thanks, that's useful. It may be time to retire the fax machine...

    Though T.38 is also useful for incoming calls, as it means number
    portability. If your fax2email provider decides to do silly things (like
    putting your faxes in a format that can only be read with a proprietary
    Windows program, hint hint eFax) you can't separate the number from the
    reception service. So you'd have to advertise a new number to all your
    contacts.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Feb 23, 2011