    ability, just enough to do an 8 by 10 print, or blowing up an image two or
    three times.

    Paul Riemerman

    Paul Riemerman, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Paul Riemerman

    Mark Grady Guest

    Hello Paul,
    I can't make a specific camera recommendation. However, I do suggest you
    check the reviews at www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreview.com you can
    find camera specific forums for user feedback as well as seemingly good
    reviews for a lot of cameras.

    "Paul Riemerman" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a long-time user of SLR and rangefinder cameras. Recently I inherited

    > Fujifilm Finepix A200. I've decided I like digital, but this particular
    > camera is fixed focus, meaning focus is really good at the macro setting

    (3
    > to 6 inches or so) and barely acceptable at 2.5 feet to infinity at the
    > normal setting. What is a decent quality focusing digital camera that is
    > economical? I would like to find something akin to an old Canon

    rangefinder.
    > I would also appreciate it if someone could mention a general price

    range --

    Mark Grady, Dec 28, 2003

  3. megapixels equals print size - generally speaking you will need 200 or
    more DPI per inch of printed picutre - so a 3 megapixel camera does
    about 2000 on the long side, so you can get a (barely) acceptable 8x10
    from that size. If you crop the pic to remove something or to compose
    it better, then you will either have to print 5x7 or get a 4 or 5 or 6
    Mp camera.

    as to budget..you can spend $100 and up. Check ebay and check on
    'remanufactured' or 'refurbished' cameras. I have bought all my
    digital cameras that way and have had no problems and saved big bucks.

    Do you want pocket sized or more traditional camera size?
    what memory format do you prefer, or do you care?
    What features are important to you? to show the pics on a tv, manual
    modes, external flash, etc, etc.

    once you have an idea of what your budget will buy, and what megapixel
    size you need, then you can start reading reviews and get an idea of
    what you want.

    I am not impressed at all by HP or Kodak camera pictures.
    Fuji and Canon and Nikon do well. I have seen very few Minolta pics,
    but they are a good company so their cameras should be fine.

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 28, 2003