    Lumagen Vision processor that will upconvert the signal to 840p for display
    via an Electrohome Marquee 8000 crt projector. Any help would be
    appreciated. Thanks.

    Mike, Jul 27, 2006

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am looking for recommendations for a basic DVD player that will produce
    >very high quality video signal. I don't need (or want) the latest and
    >greatest model - I don't need HDMI or 1080p output - all I need is
    >component video output of an artifact free 480i format. I will be feeding
    >this into a Lumagen Vision processor that will upconvert the signal to 840p
    >for display via an Electrohome Marquee 8000 crt projector. Any help would
    >be appreciated. Thanks.

    ======================

    Mike, I had need of a DVD source to dub segments from DVD's for opera
    program presentations to an opera appreciation group. I had a good quality
    computer with good DVD burners and I also had a high end Panasonic DVD
    stand-alone recorder/player. The thing was how to get the DVD signal in. I'd
    never thought of it until some mentioned "portable DVD player."

    Out of curiosity I went to Costco's and got an 8" Mintek portable DVD
    player. You know that that thing did so well that I later went and got the
    10" Mintek portable DVD player ($199 at Costcos right now) for another
    setup. The two big things for me are I can connect it to the front of pieces
    temporarily only when I need it, and the little unit plays EVERYTHING. Some
    discs play even when sophisticated full-time machines will not play them.

    For copy-protected stuff I pass the video signal through a Sima SCC-2
    enhancer, On the computer the Canopus ADVC-100 takes Macrovision out
    automatically. Denzil.

    Denzil Hathway, Jul 27, 2006

  3. Denzil Hathway wrote:
    > Mike, I had need of a DVD source to dub segments from DVD's for opera
    > program presentations to an opera appreciation group. I had a good quality
    > computer with good DVD burners and I also had a high end Panasonic DVD
    > stand-alone recorder/player. The thing was how to get the DVD signal in. I'd
    > never thought of it until some mentioned "portable DVD player."
    >
    > Out of curiosity I went to Costco's and got an 8" Mintek portable DVD
    > player. You know that that thing did so well that I later went and got the
    > 10" Mintek portable DVD player ($199 at Costcos right now) for another
    > setup. The two big things for me are I can connect it to the front of pieces
    > temporarily only when I need it, and the little unit plays EVERYTHING. Some
    > discs play even when sophisticated full-time machines will not play them.
    >
    > For copy-protected stuff I pass the video signal through a Sima SCC-2
    > enhancer, On the computer the Canopus ADVC-100 takes Macrovision out
    > automatically. Denzil.

    If quality was so vital to your cause, why didn't you take the digital
    video straight from the disc onto the computer? By decoding it from the
    digital source into the analogue realm, running it through a MacroVision
    decoder, and re-encoding it back to digital again you're dropping the
    quality massively.

    Simply put the disc in the drive and run something like 'DVD Decrypter'.
    Minutes later you'll have a perfect digital copy of exactly what's on
    the disc.

    Improved quality. Saves money. Can't see a downside, here.

    --
    Gareth Halfacree http://gareth.halfacree.co.uk
    "If Ace Books ever came out with an edition of The Bible, both books

    Gareth R Halfacree, Jul 31, 2006