    lens? This would seem, to me, a huge shortcoming, since, most often I use
    interchangeable lenses expressly to shoot wide-angle photos, rather than
    telephoto.
    zuuum, Sep 5, 2003

  2. zuuum wrote:
    > Am I missng something, or do dSLR cameras lack the ability to shoot a wide
    > angle shot with anything but a very specialized fish-eye lens? Since the
    > smaller imaging area has the effect of a telephoto-conversion on all lenses.
    > Is there no such animal that will shorten the focal length of an existing
    > lens? This would seem, to me, a huge shortcoming, since, most often I use
    > interchangeable lenses expressly to shoot wide-angle photos, rather than
    > telephoto.

    This is not completely true. The widest that can be had with the Nikon
    digital SLR series is 18mm using their new 12-24 DX lens. With the 1.5x
    on the focal length that's 18-36 in 35mm equivalent. Not too shabby.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 5, 2003

  3. zuuum

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Nikon has a very wide angle lens now and Canon's new digital Rebel has a
    very wide zoom too. Other than that you can only add auxillary lenses to the
    front to make a lens that would be wide on 35mm wide on the small sensor
    DSLRs. There are a couple cameras on the market now with full size sensors
    (24x36mm) but they are not cheap.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 5, 2003
  4. "zuuum" <> wrote in message
    > Am I missng something, or do dSLR cameras lack the ability to shoot a wide
    > angle shot with anything but a very specialized fish-eye lens? Since the
    > smaller imaging area has the effect of a telephoto-conversion on all

    lenses.
    > Is there no such animal that will shorten the focal length of an existing
    > lens? This would seem, to me, a huge shortcoming, since, most often I use
    > interchangeable lenses expressly to shoot wide-angle photos, rather than
    > telephoto.

    Because of the smaller sensor, the lens effect results in a multiplication
    factor of 1.5 on the FujiFilm S2Pro or the Nikon D100, for example. So you
    can buy a 12mm lens, but it will have the effect of being an 18mm lens on
    either of these two cameras. Consumer-affordable dSLRs with full-frame
    sensors is probably about 1.5-2 years away.

    HMc
    Howard McCollister, Sep 5, 2003
  5. zuuum

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    But 28 mm is as wide as most consumer zooms in 35mm.

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Tony Spadaro wrote:

    > But 28 mm is as wide as most consumer zooms in 35mm.

    I guess it just depends on what the original poster meant by "wide angle".

    18mm is certainly wider than 28mm.
    Andrew McDonald, Sep 5, 2003
  7. zuuum

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Or you can add an auxillary lens to an existing lens, or you can continue
    to use a film body for really wide stuff until full frame DSLRs are more
    economical.

    --
    > Tony Spadaro wrote:
    > > That's true - but what is the price of that lens? And what is the price

    of

    Tony Spadaro, Sep 6, 2003
  8. zuuum

    zuuum Guest

    $1000 is reasonable for a digital body, but there is the glaring limitation
    if you are partial to wide-angle compositions. For interior shoots, wide
    angle is more or less essential. Same goes for close and indoor group
    shots, which just about every wedding shoot calls for. This limitation is
    more or less the reason I still haven't purchased a digital body for my
    Canon lenses. Because they no longer can compose as they do for film. It
    is also why I still use film almost exclusively for wedding shoots. My
    Nikon digicam gets little use at weddings, though some, primarily because
    the "ability to instantly review shots leads to too many missed moments
    captured. Too often I was paging through shots, staring at an LCD instead
    on peering through my viewfinder, ready for the next memorable moment. lol
    ..

    zuuum, Sep 6, 2003