    I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a site
    where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?

    I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    LEICA, Jan 17, 2005

  2. LEICA

    Jeremy Guest

    "LEICA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a

    site
    > where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    Not sure such a chart would be valid, because there are different-sized
    chips in use. So an equivalent focal length for one camera might not
    necessarily be the same for another.

    You would need to know what sized chip your camera uses in order to
    calculate the 35mm equivalent correctly.

    Jeremy, Jan 17, 2005

  3. (LEICA) writes:

    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a site
    > where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?

    They're not all the same.

    The consumer digicams, however, cite "35mm equivalent focal lengths",
    which for angle of view purposes are directly comparable to 35mm
    lenses.

    The DSLRs cite a "cropping factor" (the Nikons are all 1.5x, the
    cheaper Canons are 1.6x, and so forth), which can be applied to the
    actual focal length of a lens mounted on them to get the focal length
    which would have the same angle of view on a 35mm film camera.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 17, 2005
  4. LEICA

    Jim Townsend Guest

    LEICA wrote:

    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a site
    > where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?

    Most digital camera makers and digital camera reviewers quote focal
    lengths in 35mm lens equivalents..

    Actually, it's uncommon to see otherwise. Focal lengths don't mean
    much until you know the size of the sensor behind the lens.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 17, 2005
  5. LEICA

    George Guest

    "LEICA" <> wrote in message
    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a

    site
    > where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    I answered this for the D70 in the "Newbie Lens/Focal Length Question"
    thread.
    One thing I forgot to say in that thread was that in order to calculate the
    diagonal
    you square both of the sensor dimensions, add them together, then take the
    square
    root.

    HTH,
    George

    George, Jan 17, 2005
  6. LEICA

    Darrell Guest

    "LEICA" <> wrote in message
    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there a

    site
    > where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    Depends on the sensor size, most dSLR that use a Sony sensor APS-C/DX
    (Minolta, Pentax and Nikon) you use a 1.5 factor. With Canon dSLR you would
    use 1x, 1.3X or 1.6X depending on which camera you have.

    Darrell, Jan 17, 2005
  7. LEICA

    LEICA Guest

    >One thing I forgot to say in that thread was that in order to calculate the
    >diagonal
    >you square both of the sensor dimensions, add them together, then take the
    >square
    >root.
    >
    >HTH,
    >George

    Sorry George , you lost me. Guess I'll just start using me extra Canon lenses
    on the Digital Rebel and learn about changes in focal length as I go.

    I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    LEICA, Jan 18, 2005
  8. LEICA

    George Guest

    "LEICA" <> wrote in message
    > >One thing I forgot to say in that thread was that in order to calculate

    the
    > >diagonal
    > >you square both of the sensor dimensions, add them together, then take

    the
    > >square
    > >root.
    > >
    > >HTH,
    > >George
    > >

    > Sorry George , you lost me. Guess I'll just start using me extra Canon

    lenses
    > on the Digital Rebel and learn about changes in focal length as I go.
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    Sorry if I confused the issue. If you like, for your Digital Rebel what you
    want to
    do if you are used to thinking in terms of 35mm focal lengths:

    Take the 35mm focal length lens you'd use and divide it by 1.6 to figure out
    what
    focal length would be equivalent for your Digital Rebel sensor, for example:

    35mm camera lens Digital Rebel lens
    20mm 12.5mm
    24mm 15mm
    28mm 17.5mm
    35mm 22mm
    50mm 31mm
    85mm 53mm
    100mm 62.5mm
    200mm 125mm
    300mm 187.5mm
    400mm 250mm

    The way to read this, is if you'd use a 400mm lens on your 35mm camera,
    you'd choose a 250mm lens on your Digital Rebel.

    George

    George, Jan 18, 2005
  9. LEICA

    Jon Pike Guest

    (LEICA) wrote in

    > I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there
    > a site where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    They're exactly the same.

    --
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

    Jon Pike, Jan 18, 2005
  10. LEICA

    Jon Pike Guest

    (LEICA) wrote in

    >>One thing I forgot to say in that thread was that in order to
    >>calculate the diagonal
    >>you square both of the sensor dimensions, add them together, then take
    >>the square
    >>root.
    >>
    >>HTH,
    >>George
    >>

    > Sorry George , you lost me. Guess I'll just start using me extra Canon
    > lenses on the Digital Rebel and learn about changes in focal length as
    > I go.
    > I haven't taken my best picture yet.

    There are -no- changes in focal length.

    --
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

    Jon Pike, Jan 18, 2005
  11. Jon Pike wrote:
    > (LEICA) wrote in
    >

    >>I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there
    >>a site where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >>
    >>I haven't taken my best picture yet.
    >>

    > They're exactly the same.

    Ignore the troll.

    The pedants and trolls have a field day with this one. It really doesn't
    matter what you call it, cropping, focal length, etc. Most reasonable
    people grasp what the core is.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jan 18, 2005
  12. LEICA

    Jon Pike Guest

    John McWilliams <> wrote in news:U-udnZvZXawlqnDcRVn-
    :

    > Jon Pike wrote:
    >> (LEICA) wrote in
    >>

    >>>I am familiar with the lens focal lengths for a film camera. Is there
    >>>a site where I can find comparison with digital focal lengths?
    >>>
    >>>I haven't taken my best picture yet.
    >>>

    >> They're exactly the same.
    >>

    > Ignore the troll.
    >
    > The pedants and trolls have a field day with this one. It really doesn't
    > matter what you call it, cropping, focal length, etc. Most reasonable
    > people grasp what the core is.

    actually, it does matter. cropping an image is entirely different from
    changing the focal length of a lense.

    --
    http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?username=moosespet

    Jon Pike, Jan 20, 2005