FM presets/memory in receiver problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Feb 2, 2007.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    I have a 15 y.o. Sony all-in-one stereo and the memory on the
    AM/FM presets has crapped out. It used to work fine until just
    recently. The double cassette unit has grown a little "mossy"
    and the belts I think have almost totally disintegrated, so I
    never use it (but amazingly enough, I have another Sony mini
    system of about the same age, but much better quality, and the
    cassette drives (with Dolby C!) still work great).

    Sorry for the sidetrack.

    Anyway, as you can imagine, it is annoying as hell to go the
    factory presets which in most cases do not even correspond to a
    local station let alone a listenable one.

    Is it a basically non-replaceable electronic component that
    stores the data or is it a tiny lithium battery I can find if I
    open the thing up?

    Any info would be appreciated.

    thanatoid, Feb 2, 2007

  2. thanatoid

    JANA Guest

    Depending on the model of receiver, some use a small lithium battery. In
    some models, the battery is a solder in type, while in others, it slips in
    between some contacts.

    There are some models that use what they call a gold leaf capacitor. This
    capacitor is soldered to the circuit board. Most of the time, they are rated
    at about 0.47 F (Farad) at 5.5 Volts.

    Most electronic parts suppliers, or the Sony parts service rep for your area
    can supply the parts. If you are not experienced at servicing electronic
    equipment, I would not suggest you try to service this yourself.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 2, 2007

  3. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "JANA" <> wrote in

    > Depending on the model of receiver, some use a small
    > lithium battery. In some models, the battery is a solder in
    > type, while in others, it slips in between some contacts.
    >
    > There are some models that use what they call a gold leaf
    > capacitor. This capacitor is soldered to the circuit board.
    > Most of the time, they are rated at about 0.47 F (Farad) at
    > 5.5 Volts.
    >
    > Most electronic parts suppliers, or the Sony parts service
    > rep for your area can supply the parts. If you are not
    > experienced at servicing electronic equipment, I would not
    > suggest you try to service this yourself.

    Thank you very much for your answer. Sounds like it's worth
    opening the thing up... If it's a battery, soldered or not, no
    problem.

    I can probably manage to replace a small capacitor... I've done
    some stuff like that... Is there ANY way of identifying it, like
    which of the (presumably) several circuit boards would it be
    found on, etc.?

    While I know there are millions of those things and none of them
    have any consistent and complete identification (well, resistors
    do to some extent I guess), possibly any numbers or letters?

    Thanks again.
    t.

    thanatoid, Feb 2, 2007
  4. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "Gary G. Taylor" <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:15:48 +0000, thanatoid wrote:
    >
    >> I can probably manage to replace a small capacitor... I've
    >> done some stuff like that... Is there ANY way of
    >> identifying it, like which of the (presumably) several
    >> circuit boards would it be found on, etc.?

    > Try Sony's web site or call their tech support to obtain a
    > shop manual for the beast.

    Logical suggestion - unless you happen to live in a country
    where there is no single Usenet provider, the electricity goes
    out at least once a day and half the mail gets stolen... And 8xx
    numbers get charged at the regular rate of a dollar and half a
    minute....

    But I may try their web site(s) anyway... Unfortunately, IIRC,
    it's now basically aimed at 15 year-olds.

    Thanks.

    thanatoid, Feb 4, 2007