    Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.

    Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 7, 2003

  2. John A. Stovall

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, John A Stovall wrote:

    > This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    > Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    > Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    > be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    I was on a plane a week or two ago. They had me take the camera out of
    its bag and turn it on so they could see the LCD light up and show
    something. They also got excited about my battery charger. They ran the
    whole ball 'o wax through the x-ray machine. No problems. It didn't affect
    the stuff stored on my smartmedia cards at all.

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>

    Mike Graham, Sep 8, 2003

  3. John A. Stovall

    Paul Heslop Guest

    I prefer planes, they seem to work so much better

    :O)
    --
    Paul. (I wish I had the wings to fly away from here)
    Not what it seems...

    Paul Heslop, Sep 8, 2003
  4. "John A. Stovall" <> wrote in message
    > This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    > Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    > Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    > be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    The airport x-rays won't hurt a laptop or a digicam. Relax and enjoy your
    flight.

    Marvin Margoshes, Sep 8, 2003
  5. John A. Stovall

    George Guest

    It is actually thought to be good for the ICs...it is called radiation
    hardening and the government does it to military electronics...supposed to
    make semiconductors less vulnerable to a nuclear attack.

    George, Sep 8, 2003
  6. >>>>>> Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    Good luck getting your laptop through without being x-rayed! In Europe, at
    least, they let you leave your laptop in a larger carry-on bag. In the
    U.S. they make you place your laptop separately in a tray. They even make
    you take it out of a light protective sleeve, which is totally absurd,
    because x-rays certainly don't care about a quater inch of fabric.

    Just let them x-ray your laptop, digicam, and cf cards. It will not hurt
    them.

    Douglas W. Hoyt, Sep 8, 2003
  7. John A. Stovall

    Wah-hoo! Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > It is actually thought to be good for the ICs...it is called radiation
    > hardening and the government does it to military electronics...supposed to
    > make semiconductors less vulnerable to a nuclear attack.

    Ummm, no... the other way around. You don't shoot X-rays through a chip to
    make it radiation hardend; you make the chip rad-hardend in the first place
    so that you can shoot more radiation through it before it fails! (These are
    not your usual semiconductors)

    But the dose your equipment gets at the airport shouldn't be much concern.
    Of course there's always a slight possibility you may lose a bit value, just
    like from a cosmic ray passing through... at anytime, anyplace... Same as
    for brain cells ;-)

    - Wah

    Wah-hoo!, Sep 8, 2003
  8. John A. Stovall

    JRadford Guest

    What about the effects on a magnetic mechanical hard drive, such as an IBM
    Microdrive?

    JRadford, Sep 8, 2003
  9. John A. Stovall

    FOR7b Guest

    >This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    >Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    >Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    >be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    X-Ray is not going to harm either.

    FOR7b, Sep 8, 2003
  10. John A. Stovall

    FOR7b Guest

    >It is actually thought to be good for the ICs...it is called radiation
    >hardening and the government does it to military electronics...supposed to
    >make semiconductors less vulnerable to a nuclear attack.

    Wishful thinking. A nuclear attack will destroy most modern electronics. Vacuum
    tibes are apparently ok :)

    FOR7b, Sep 8, 2003
  11. John A. Stovall

    FOR7b Guest

    >What about the effects on a magnetic mechanical hard drive, such as an IBM
    >Microdrive?

    No effects.

    FOR7b, Sep 8, 2003
  12. John A. Stovall

    Ron Hunter Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:

    > This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    > Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    > Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    > be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    The checkin baggage scanner will NOT damage your camera, or flash cards.
    You should always have batteries in it, or available since you may be
    asked to take it out and turn it on.

    When flying, always carry your camera and flash cards in your carry-on
    bags since there are many different types of new baggage scanners in use
    and the jury isn't in on them yet, and one never REALLY knows where his
    bags are going after they are checked and you WILL want your camera
    going where YOU go.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 8, 2003
  13. John A. Stovall <> wrote:

    >This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    >Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    >Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    >be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    John,

    there's another advantage of digital over film---X rays don't
    harm digital cameras or computers.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 8, 2003
  14. John A. Stovall

    Paul Cordes Guest

    > This spring I'll be fly for the first time in 3 years and taking my
    > Nikon 4100. I'm planing on taking in as carry on in my brief case.
    >
    > Will they want to X-Ray it or just what? I would never let my Laptop
    > be X-Rayed and assume the same should be true for my camera.

    You and your camera are going to get a lot more radiation during the flight
    at altitude than the X-ray machine at the carry-on counter will give it.

    Paul Cordes, Sep 8, 2003