Flying with camera - Heathrow to US

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Basiltoo, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Basiltoo

    RK Guest

    Sad thing is that if you read the fine print photographic equipment
    stolen from checked baggage will not be replaced. I think this is true
    for laptops and other electronic equipment as well. I read recently
    that a person who had her electronic gear stolen from a BA flight which
    would not let her carry it on was challenging the rule by going to
    court. She had no choice as to what she could do when returning to the
    US after a long trip. Apparently, pilfering is a significant problem
    when a flight originates in some 'developing' countries. Heck, when I
    did some work in Nigeria they were stealing the whole plane!

    RK, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Basiltoo

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:30:51 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <>
    wrote:

    >My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    >baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    Hmmmmm...
    If my stuff is stolen, I'm out the stuff.
    If someone blows up the plane, I'm dead.
    Lemme think about this....
    Lose stuff <---> die.
    Hard one to decide...
    I think I'd rather lose stuff than die.
    Not that I *want* to lose stuff, but given the choice...
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Basiltoo

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    >"Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message

    >>>Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel
    >>>baby
    >>>nappies!

    >> What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    >> on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    >> mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    >> in the hold.
    >>
    >> My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    >> baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    >Along the same line, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to not
    >steal, how can they be trusted to not put a bomb in with the rest of
    >the baggage?

    Exactly.

    >Obviously security is severely screwed up if a handler can walk out
    >with $10,000 worth of photo gear and not get asked about it.

    I've wondered about that.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 21, 2006
  4. Basiltoo

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >Basiltoo wrote:
    > Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
    > Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.

    This was just posted today on the BBC, as of Friday Sept 22 they are
    allowing one normal sized carry-on again ...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5367096.stm

    Bill Hilton, Sep 21, 2006
  5. Basiltoo

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 03:25:23 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <>
    wrote:

    >Bill <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message

    >>> What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    >>> on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    >>> mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    >>> in the hold.
    >>>
    >>> My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    >>> baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    >>Along the same line, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to not
    >>steal, how can they be trusted to not put a bomb in with the rest of
    >>the baggage?

    >Exactly.
    >
    >>Obviously security is severely screwed up if a handler can walk out
    >>with $10,000 worth of photo gear and not get asked about it.

    >I've wondered about that.
    >
    > ---- Paul J. Gans

    It's much easier to walk out with a trunk that it is to walk in with a
    small bomb. :)
    Honest, these people are screened before they enter the work area.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 21, 2006
  6. Basiltoo

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Bill Funk <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 03:25:23 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans <>
    >wrote:

    >>Bill <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message

    >>>Along the same line, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to not
    >>>steal, how can they be trusted to not put a bomb in with the rest of
    >>>the baggage?

    >>Exactly.
    >>
    >>>Obviously security is severely screwed up if a handler can walk out
    >>>with $10,000 worth of photo gear and not get asked about it.

    >>I've wondered about that.
    >>
    >> ---- Paul J. Gans

    >It's much easier to walk out with a trunk that it is to walk in with a
    >small bomb. :)
    >Honest, these people are screened before they enter the work area.

    Let's fire the executive in charge.

    Screen them *every* time they enter or leave the work area. That's
    what they do to me if I leave the security area when I'm flying.

    And they check my hand baggage again too.

    Heck, even a video camera watching the handlers would help.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 22, 2006
  7. Basiltoo

    NoSpam Guest

    On 20-Sep-2006, "RK" <> wrote:

    > Apparently, pilfering is a significant problem
    > when a flight originates in some 'developing' countries. Heck, when I
    > did some work in Nigeria they were stealing the whole plane!

    It's not just developing countries you need worry about.
    Heathrow and Gatwick are full of thieves.
    Between the aircraft and the baggage carousel a lot can happen.

    I simply will not travel with expensive unsecured equipment in the hold ; I
    would rather miss the flight!
    Put nothing in your suitcases that you can't afford to lose.

    NoSpam, Sep 22, 2006