    --
    Regards,
    Baz
    Basiltoo, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Basiltoo

    NoSpam Guest

    On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <> wrote:

    > Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
    > Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
    >
    > TIA

    It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
    Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full details
    NoSpam, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Basiltoo

    jav Guest

    About 2 weeks ago my wife and I flew from Heathrow to the US. I had to go
    through
    the typical screening at the entrance to the gate area(take off shoes for
    XRay, metal
    detector, checking of my prescription medication label against my passport).
    When
    we got to the actual gate, another individual checked our boarding pass
    against our
    passports and then directed us to two tables in front of the gate door.
    There I had to
    empty out my carryon bag which contained a Canon G6 digital camera, iPod
    Nano and
    Motorola Razr phone. I had to activate each of the items to demonstrate they
    actually
    worked as designed.

    Don't bring anything liquid or gel in carryon, not even a ChapStick.

    jav, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Basiltoo

    Basiltoo Guest

    "NoSpam" <> wrote in

    > On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage
    >> from Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
    > Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full
    > details

    Many thanks for responding. Very helpful.

    --
    Regards,
    Baz
    Basiltoo, Sep 17, 2006
  5. On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 21:34:38 GMT, "NoSpam" <>
    wrote:

    >On 17-Sep-2006, Basiltoo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
    >> Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA

    >It's OK now provided you carry medium sized handluggage.
    >Go to the BAA website/Heathrow and follow the security link for full details

    Better yet, wait a few days and check again, especially if you are
    thinking about buying a bag for the purpose since few current bags are
    that slim. The media in the UK were recently reporting that carry-on
    baggage sizes might be relaxed again following a meeting on Monday,
    with a probable implementation date of 23rd September.

    Andy
    Andy Blanchard, Sep 18, 2006
  6. Basiltoo

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "jav" <> wrote:

    > About 2 weeks ago my wife and I flew from Heathrow to the US. I had to go
    > through
    > the typical screening at the entrance to the gate area(take off shoes for
    > XRay, metal
    > detector, checking of my prescription medication label against my passport).
    > When
    > we got to the actual gate, another individual checked our boarding pass
    > against our
    > passports and then directed us to two tables in front of the gate door.
    > There I had to
    > empty out my carryon bag which contained a Canon G6 digital camera, iPod
    > Nano and
    > Motorola Razr phone. I had to activate each of the items to demonstrate they
    > actually
    > worked as designed.
    >
    > Don't bring anything liquid or gel in carryon, not even a ChapStick.
    >
    > "Basiltoo" <> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone recently carried photographic equipment in hand luggage from
    > > Heathrow to the US? Any advice appreciated.

    Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.
    Stewy, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Basiltoo

    Guest

    He sure will figure something out, in the meantime let's be positive
    and do good to everyone around us. If we all did, much of this nonsense
    would start losing its momentum.

    Dan

    Enjoy some free artwork: http://freevisualart.blogspot.com

    Stewy wrote:

    > Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    > nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.
    , Sep 18, 2006
  8. Basiltoo

    poddys Guest

    I flew Heathrow to Miami last week - no problems.

    They checked my Canon A620, I had to power it on for them.
    Minor inspection of the rest of the case and they didn't ask me to
    power on my MP3 player.

    If carrying a larger amount of camera gear, be aware of the size
    restrictions on hand baggage. The new size allowed is pretty small -
    actually smaller going to USA than outbound so beware.

    I took a smaller bag on the way out, but seeing as a lot of people had
    larger bags, I used my regular carry-on bag on the way back (had been
    packed empty in my checked luggage on way out). They did check this at
    check-in for size and it was supposed to fit in a miniscule wooden box.
    It would fit if I squashed it, and since it's not a hard sided bag I
    can always do that, but watch out if you have an oversize hard bag.

    You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
    bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...

    Good luck.........
    poddys, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Basiltoo

    Brian Guest

    On 18 Sep 2006 05:35:56 -0700, "poddys" <> mentioned:
    <snip>

    >You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
    >bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...

    Oh no it's not! The size restriction is because of what the security
    people are prepared to monitor, not what the airline is prepared to
    carry. Just hope today's meeting is positive, the airlines want
    bigger carry on bags, the airport authority doesn't. Early this year,
    well before the last episode the airport authority changed what they
    were prepared to monitor and restricted carry on bags without
    reference to the airlines. It's cheaper to bugger about the customers
    than buy more equipment and employ more staff.
    Brian, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Basiltoo

    poddys Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > On 18 Sep 2006 05:35:56 -0700, "poddys" <> mentioned:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > >You may be able to get away with telling them you are going to put the
    > >bag under your seat. Worth a try if they get stroppy...
    > >

    > Oh no it's not! The size restriction is because of what the security
    > people are prepared to monitor, not what the airline is prepared to
    > carry. Just hope today's meeting is positive, the airlines want
    > bigger carry on bags, the airport authority doesn't. Early this year,
    > well before the last episode the airport authority changed what they
    > were prepared to monitor and restricted carry on bags without
    > reference to the airlines. It's cheaper to bugger about the customers
    > than buy more equipment and employ more staff.

    Point taken Brian.
    Having done a lot of travel within the USA in the past year and seen
    more and more flights take off 100% full, and at the same time more
    people trying to get away with ridiculously large carry-ons that ought
    to be stowed in the hold, it's actually nice to see some restriction on
    the amount of carry-on baggage, however the current limit from the UK
    is too restrictive for those who need to carry a notebook as well as a
    camera. Neither ought to travel in the hold, and many of us need to
    take both of these on the trip with us, so they do need to relax the
    limits to allow for this. After all women are usually allowed to carry
    a handbag in addition........... or used to be.......
    poddys, Sep 18, 2006
  11. Basiltoo

    wilt Guest

    > Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    > nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

    Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel baby
    nappies!
    wilt, Sep 18, 2006
  12. Basiltoo

    Paul J Gans Guest

    wilt <> wrote:

    >> Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    >> nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

    >Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel baby
    >nappies!

    What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    in the hold.

    Does this suggest that our major concern ought not to be
    focussed on bars of soap?

    My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    ----- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Sep 19, 2006
  13. Basiltoo

    Bill Guest

    "Paul J Gans" <> wrote in message
    > wilt <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with
    >>> babies
    >>> nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people
    >>> too.

    >>Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel
    >>baby
    >>nappies!

    > What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    > on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    > mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    > in the hold.
    >
    > My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    > baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    Along the same line, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to not
    steal, how can they be trusted to not put a bomb in with the rest of
    the baggage?

    Obviously security is severely screwed up if a handler can walk out
    with $10,000 worth of photo gear and not get asked about it.
    Bill, Sep 19, 2006
  14. Basiltoo

    Stewy Guest

    In article <eepnib$3un$>,
    Paul J Gans <> wrote:

    > wilt <> wrote:
    >

    > >> Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    > >> nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

    > >Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel baby
    > >nappies!

    > What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    > on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    > mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    > in the hold.
    >
    > Does this suggest that our major concern ought not to be
    > focussed on bars of soap?
    >
    > My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    > baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.

    Lots of people travel coach with designer baggage. Perhaps Chanel,
    Hunting World etc should stencil "steal me" on the front.
    Stewy, Sep 20, 2006
  15. Basiltoo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paul J Gans wrote:
    > wilt <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Osama must be laughing his ass off. Next time he'll try it with babies
    >>> nappies, toothpaste tubes, bars of soap and maybe inside people too.

    >> Toothpaste already banned, so the next step is the explosive gel baby
    >> nappies!

    > What is humorous are the two subthreads. One is focussed
    > on the problem of hand-carrying cameras and lenses, the other
    > mentions the problems of the gear being stolen if carried
    > in the hold.
    >
    > Does this suggest that our major concern ought not to be
    > focussed on bars of soap?
    >
    > My heritical notion is that we ought not to be worried about
    > baby oil until we can trust the baggage handlers.
    >
    > ----- Paul J. Gans

    ?? Baggage handlers stealing things from baggage is an annoying
    problem, and should be dealt with, but it is a far cry from being as
    much of a problem as terrorists, or merely demented people, who seek to
    blow up airplanes full of people. A missing camera can be replaced,
    dead people are ....dead.
    Ron Hunter, Sep 20, 2006
  16. Basiltoo

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:47:40 -0500, Ron Hunter, our man in Houston
    wrote:

    > ?? Baggage handlers stealing things from baggage is an annoying
    > problem, and should be dealt with, but it is a far cry from being as
    > much of a problem as terrorists, or merely demented people, who seek to
    > blow up airplanes full of people. A missing camera can be replaced,
    > dead people are ....dead.

    It's not the theft of property that could be dangerous. Our gov't
    and military have long acted on the principle that anyone that
    deviates in any way from being a model citizen (problems with booze,
    drugs, sex, gambling, finance) is a security risk and may be coerced
    or convinced into taking actions such as (...fill in the blanks...).
    Would you argue that baggage handling thieves can't be tempted by
    offers, even those of the "can't be refused" variety? If so, a
    little LeCarré, Puzo or even a dash of Graham Greene might provide a
    useful tonic. :)
    ASAAR, Sep 20, 2006
  17. Basiltoo

    Paul Rubin Guest

    ASAAR <> writes:
    > Would you argue that baggage handling thieves can't be tempted by
    > offers, even those of the "can't be refused" variety? If so, a
    > little LeCarré, Puzo or even a dash of Graham Greene might provide a
    > useful tonic. :)

    I hear they especially like good inkjet paper:

    http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=1254
    Paul Rubin, Sep 20, 2006
  18. Basiltoo

    ASAAR Guest

    On 19 Sep 2006 22:05:49 -0700, Paul Rubin
    <http://> wrote:

    >> Would you argue that baggage handling thieves can't be tempted by
    >> offers, even those of the "can't be refused" variety? If so, a
    >> little LeCarré, Puzo or even a dash of Graham Greene might provide a
    >> useful tonic. :)

    > I hear they especially like good inkjet paper:

    Maigny could have used it to produce his own passport and assorted
    papers. They would have passed muster with that woozy border guard,
    and he (Maigny) would have been ahead by at least 4 of the 5 packs.
    I've used those HP 4"x6" papers, and a trimmer really needs to be
    used to eliminate the slightly ragged perf'ed edge. If the papers
    aren't neatly trimmed, one runs the risk of changing Il Duce to
    something other than el come dulce.
    ASAAR, Sep 20, 2006
  19. In article <>,
    says...

    > Along the same line, if the baggage handlers can't be trusted to not
    > steal, how can they be trusted to not put a bomb in with the rest of
    > the baggage?
    >
    > Obviously security is severely screwed up if a handler can walk out
    > with $10,000 worth of photo gear and not get asked about it.

    Not realy, just suggests that they are searched one the way INTO the
    'office', not on the way out..

    They should , of course, be searched both ways..

    T.

    Tony Gartshore, Sep 20, 2006
  20. Basiltoo

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:47:40 -0500, Ron Hunter, our man in Houston
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ?? Baggage handlers stealing things from baggage is an annoying
    >> problem, and should be dealt with, but it is a far cry from being as
    >> much of a problem as terrorists, or merely demented people, who seek to
    >> blow up airplanes full of people. A missing camera can be replaced,
    >> dead people are ....dead.

    > It's not the theft of property that could be dangerous. Our gov't
    > and military have long acted on the principle that anyone that
    > deviates in any way from being a model citizen (problems with booze,
    > drugs, sex, gambling, finance) is a security risk and may be coerced
    > or convinced into taking actions such as (...fill in the blanks...).
    > Would you argue that baggage handling thieves can't be tempted by
    > offers, even those of the "can't be refused" variety? If so, a
    > little LeCarré, Puzo or even a dash of Graham Greene might provide a
    > useful tonic. :)

    I don't know how it works at other airports, but employees coming to
    work at DFW go through the same security screening as passengers do. It
    seems that leaving they don't have to do that. More's the pity. Seems
    no one wonders why someone comes to work with a small paper bag and
    leaves with a duffle....
    Ron Hunter, Sep 20, 2006