    from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to filter
    it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?

    Kev
    Kev, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Kev

    philo Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    news:ToGmj.33580$...
    > After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that

    > light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL connection.
    >
    > Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity supply
    > from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to filter
    > it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?
    >
    > Kev

    There is no way I'm going to tell you to get rid of your full spectrum
    lighting...
    that stuff is great.

    However is the light box properly grounded?
    Check that first.

    The filter both your ADSL and the light box with ferrite beads...
    They can probably be gotten from any electronics supplier

    http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=ferrite beads snap sleeve&um=1&ie=UTF-8
    philo, Jan 26, 2008

  3. Kev

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:16:35 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:

    >After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that a
    >light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL connection.
    >
    >Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity supply
    >from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to filter
    >it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?
    >
    >Kev

    Are they on the same plug? The same circuit?
    Try moving one to another plug and circuit and see what happens.
    Outside of beads, try a "faraday shield". Just a small brass mesh put
    around the adsl box.
    richard, Jan 26, 2008
  4. Kev

    Kev Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > There is no way I'm going to tell you to get rid of your full spectrum
    > lighting...
    > that stuff is great.
    >
    > However is the light box properly grounded?
    > Check that first.
    >
    > The filter both your ADSL and the light box with ferrite beads...
    > They can probably be gotten from any electronics supplier
    >

    > http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=ferrite beads snap sleeve&um=1&ie=UTF-8

    Thanks, philo - checked the grounding and it seems fine, will check out the
    ferrite beads.

    Do you think that a modern product should produce this kind of interference?
    (the light box is new - perhaps it should go back!)
    Kev, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message

    > Are they on the same plug? The same circuit?
    > Try moving one to another plug and circuit and see what happens.
    > Outside of beads, try a "faraday shield". Just a small brass mesh put
    > around the adsl box.

    Different plug, only have one circuit (old house, needs modernising!). It
    knocks out the router connection everytime I switch it on from anywhere, and
    reduces connection speed from 1200kbps to 160kbps, noise margin down 6 :-(.

    Thinking of replacing the light box ...

    Thanks

    Kev
    Kev, Jan 26, 2008
  6. Kev

    philo Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > > There is no way I'm going to tell you to get rid of your full spectrum
    > > lighting...
    > > that stuff is great.
    > >
    > > However is the light box properly grounded?
    > > Check that first.
    > >
    > > The filter both your ADSL and the light box with ferrite beads...
    > > They can probably be gotten from any electronics supplier

    http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=ferrite beads snap sleeve&um=1&ie=UTF-8

    > Thanks, philo - checked the grounding and it seems fine, will check out

    the
    > ferrite beads.
    >
    > Do you think that a modern product should produce this kind of

    interference?
    > (the light box is new - perhaps it should go back!)

    Yes...any devices in current production should be free or RF interference...
    but are probably not doint such a great job of it.

    My GF has problems with SAD so I took out the standard fluoresecent tubes
    and replaced them with the full spectrum type.
    The lighting is great and they do not cause any intererence with our DSL
    connection.

    I was even surprised that when I went into work...they replaced the lighting
    there in went with full spectrum ligting.
    The first time they've done anything intelligent since the day they hired me
    <G> !
    philo, Jan 26, 2008
  7. On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:49:54 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:

    >Do you think that a modern product should produce this kind of interference?
    >(the light box is new - perhaps it should go back!)

    The full spectrum light unit that I made a few years ago did not
    interfere with anything. Is yours one of those modern high frequency
    types? Ask the manufacturer for a spec. The interference must be
    bending some regulation.

    Steve

    --
    Stephen Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

    http://www.easynn.com
    Steve Wolstenholme, Jan 26, 2008
  8. Kev

    olfart Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that
    > a light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL
    > connection.
    >
    > Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity supply
    > from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to filter
    > it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?
    >
    > Kev

    Don't switch off the light...your pot plants will die
    olfart, Jan 26, 2008
  9. Kev

    philo Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > > After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found

    that
    > > a light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity

    supply
    > > from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to

    filter
    > > it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?
    > >
    > > Kev
    > >

    > Don't switch off the light...your pot plants will die

    LOL!!!!!
    philo, Jan 26, 2008
  10. Kev

    Kev Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> > There is no way I'm going to tell you to get rid of your full spectrum
    >> > lighting...
    >> > that stuff is great.
    >> >
    >> > However is the light box properly grounded?
    >> > Check that first.
    >> >
    >> > The filter both your ADSL and the light box with ferrite beads...
    >> > They can probably be gotten from any electronics supplier
    >> >

    > http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=ferrite beads snap sleeve&um=1&ie=UTF-8
    >> >

    >> Thanks, philo - checked the grounding and it seems fine, will check out

    > the
    >> ferrite beads.
    >>
    >> Do you think that a modern product should produce this kind of

    > interference?
    >> (the light box is new - perhaps it should go back!)
    >>

    > Yes...any devices in current production should be free or RF
    > interference...
    > but are probably not doint such a great job of it.
    >
    > My GF has problems with SAD so I took out the standard fluoresecent tubes
    > and replaced them with the full spectrum type.
    > The lighting is great and they do not cause any intererence with our DSL
    > connection.
    >
    > I was even surprised that when I went into work...they replaced the
    > lighting
    > there in went with full spectrum ligting.
    > The first time they've done anything intelligent since the day they hired
    > me
    > <G> !

    We only have standard screw/bayonet lights in the house, but must look at
    what's available for them now - perhaps I won't need the light box!

    An intelligent employer indeed - I can recall being looked at blankely when
    I asked for the old, flickering tubes to be replaced - after all, "they
    work"! - employer shall remain unamed!
    Kev, Jan 26, 2008
  11. Kev

    Kev Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >> After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that
    >> a light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL
    >> connection.
    >>
    >> Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity
    >> supply from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do
    >> to filter it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?
    >>
    >> Kev
    >>

    > Don't switch off the light...your pot plants will die

    What a choice, dead plants or no internet :-( ... mmmm ....

    ..... never liked green things anyway ;-)
    Kev, Jan 26, 2008
  12. Kev

    philo Guest

    > >> Thanks, philo - checked the grounding and it seems fine, will check out

    > > the
    > >> ferrite beads.
    > >>
    > >> Do you think that a modern product should produce this kind of

    > > interference?
    > >> (the light box is new - perhaps it should go back!)
    > >>

    > > Yes...any devices in current production should be free or RF
    > > interference...
    > > but are probably not doint such a great job of it.
    > >
    > > My GF has problems with SAD so I took out the standard fluoresecent

    tubes
    > > and replaced them with the full spectrum type.
    > > The lighting is great and they do not cause any intererence with our DSL
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > I was even surprised that when I went into work...they replaced the
    > > lighting
    > > there in went with full spectrum ligting.
    > > The first time they've done anything intelligent since the day they

    hired
    > > me
    > > <G> !

    > We only have standard screw/bayonet lights in the house, but must look at
    > what's available for them now - perhaps I won't need the light box!
    >
    > An intelligent employer indeed - I can recall being looked at blankely

    when
    > I asked for the old, flickering tubes to be replaced - after all, "they
    > work"! - employer shall remain unamed!

    Well maybe you should see if you can get a refund on your light.
    All you have to do is go to a harware store and purchase a standard
    fluorescent light-base
    and use full spectrum tubes.
    I think the price has come down from when I bought them a few years back
    philo, Jan 26, 2008
  13. Kev

    richard Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:53:48 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:

    >"richard" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Are they on the same plug? The same circuit?
    >> Try moving one to another plug and circuit and see what happens.
    >> Outside of beads, try a "faraday shield". Just a small brass mesh put
    >> around the adsl box.

    >Different plug, only have one circuit (old house, needs modernising!). It
    >knocks out the router connection everytime I switch it on from anywhere, and
    >reduces connection speed from 1200kbps to 160kbps, noise margin down 6 :-(.
    >
    >Thinking of replacing the light box ...
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Kev

    How old? Like before 1960 or so?
    Then what you need to do is to revamp the entire house with shielded 3
    wire circuits.
    Draw out a rough sketch of the wiring in the house.
    Divide the rooms onto it's own circuit.
    A friend of mine went even better and put each plug on it's own
    circuit breaker. Because his mother was constantly overloading them.

    Get a circuit breaker box big enough for the numerous circuits.
    And the breakers of course. Then get the wiring needed.
    If you get all that stuff before the electrician comes in, it should
    be a lot cheaper. Some of the wiring you can lay out beforehand like
    in the attic and places easy to get to. Leave the rest for the
    electrician.

    Another thing you should check, is the ground. Sometimes if the ground
    wire is corroded, worn out,will cause interference. a new one might
    resolve the problem.
    richard, Jan 26, 2008
  14. Kev

    olfart Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:53:48 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:
    >

    > How old? Like before 1960 or so?
    > Then what you need to do is to revamp the entire house with shielded 3
    > wire circuits.

    shielded circuits???WTF is that

    > Draw out a rough sketch of the wiring in the house.
    > Divide the rooms onto it's own circuit.
    > A friend of mine went even better and put each plug on it's own
    > circuit breaker. Because his mother was constantly overloading them.

    Not to code. If you use a 20a breaker for each outlet then 10 outlets will
    take up all of a 200amp service. Then you have no capacity left to connect
    lighting, water heater. furnace AC, etc

    > Get a circuit breaker box big enough for the numerous circuits.
    > And the breakers of course. Then get the wiring needed.
    > If you get all that stuff before the electrician comes in, it should
    > be a lot cheaper. Some of the wiring you can lay out beforehand like
    > in the attic and places easy to get to. Leave the rest for the
    > electrician.

    the electricain will love to come redo the mess you made running wiring.
    Also since he makes a profit on the materials he will probably charge double
    for just labor

    > Another thing you should check, is the ground. Sometimes if the ground
    > wire is corroded, worn out,will cause interference. a new one might
    > resolve the problem.

    the only thing you have said that makes any sense

    olfart, Jan 26, 2008
  15. Kev

    Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote:

    >After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that a
    >light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL connection.
    >
    >Presumably the interference is running back through the electricity supply
    >from the light box and messing things up? Is there anything I do to filter
    >it out (other than the obvious of switch off the light box!)?

    Came across this once installing a phone/network system.

    One line was running besides the Fluorescent light fixture, could not
    get that wire far enough away from it within the space available, and
    had to accept the fact it would be a bad connection.

    So maybe reroute your phone line.
    --

    The Wonderful World of Early Computing
    www.neatorama.com/2008/01/25/the-wonderful-world-of-early-computing/
  16. Kev

    Shel-hed Guest

    Another option is a quality UPS, but it would be more expensive than just
    getting an old flourescent fixture with old style non-electronic ballasts.
    Compact flourescents can interfere with ADSL too. They suck!

    PS- Ignore the kook named Richard. He is one of those nuts that love negative
    attention, and will say anything to get it.

    Shel-hed, Jan 26, 2008
  17. Kev

    nobody > Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:53:48 GMT, "Kev" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "richard" <> wrote in message
    >>> Are they on the same plug? The same circuit?
    >>> Try moving one to another plug and circuit and see what happens.
    >>> Outside of beads, try a "faraday shield". Just a small brass mesh put
    >>> around the adsl box.

    >> Different plug, only have one circuit (old house, needs modernising!). It
    >> knocks out the router connection everytime I switch it on from anywhere, and
    >> reduces connection speed from 1200kbps to 160kbps, noise margin down 6 :-(.
    >>
    >> Thinking of replacing the light box ...
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Kev
    >>

    > How old? Like before 1960 or so?
    > Then what you need to do is to revamp the entire house with shielded 3
    > wire circuits.

    RtS.. you must shop at a Very Special Home Depot to find that shielded
    romex. Even Graybar doesn't stock it. That's what conduit is for, and
    trust me you ain't gonna put conduit in an old house without doing a
    frame-out remodel.

    Trying to add bad electrical advice to your already long list of failures?
    nobody >, Jan 26, 2008
  18. Kev

    G. Morgan Guest

    Kev wrote:

    >After a few days head scratching and general bug hunting, I've found that a
    >light box I have for SAD is severely interfering with my ADSL connection.

    What the heck is SAD?

    --

    -G
    G. Morgan, Jan 26, 2008