    perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze still reserve A and B
    drive letters for floppies or will it allow me to use those how I please?
    (ie make optical drives A and B)
    picopir8, Jan 15, 2004

  2. picopir8

    Night_Seer Guest

    picopir8 wrote:
    > I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
    > writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
    > still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me
    > to use those how I please? (ie make optical drives A and B)

    A and B is for floppies...

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 15, 2004

  3. picopir8

    Livewire Guest

    In article <>, "Night_Seer"
    <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> says...
    > picopir8 wrote:
    > > I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
    > > writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
    > > still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me
    > > to use those how I please? (ie make optical drives A and B)

    > A and B is for floppies...

    If you don't have a floppy, it might be worth downloa useful freeware
    Ultimate Boot CD.

    It contains lots of programs - eg diagnostics, partition tools etc --
    that usually need a floppy to load from.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Livewire, Jan 15, 2004
  4. picopir8

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "picopir8" <> wrote in

    > I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD writer
    > (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze still
    > reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow me to use
    > those how I please?

    Drives A: and B: are reserved for floppy disks, no exceptions.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Jan 15, 2004
  5. I one time tried to assign a memory card slot drive letter B: (using
    diskpart from the command line). It worked okay sometimes, other times not
    at all, and other times it would call it a floppy but read from the memory
    card. It was really screwy. This was using XP Home.

    Andrew Watiker, Jan 16, 2004
  6. picopir8

    Night_Seer Guest

    Andrew Watiker wrote:
    > I one time tried to assign a memory card slot drive letter B: (using
    > diskpart from the command line). It worked okay sometimes, other
    > times not at all, and other times it would call it a floppy but read
    > from the memory card. It was really screwy. This was using XP Home.
    > "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    >> "picopir8" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I dont want to put a floppy in my next PC. I want simply a DVD
    >>> writer (and perhaps a DVD-ROM) and one or more HDDs. Will windoze
    >>> still reserve A and B drive letters for floppies or will it allow
    >>> me to use those how I please?

    >> Drives A: and B: are reserved for floppy disks, no exceptions.
    >>
    >> --
    >> AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    >> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    >> website: under construction
    >> Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    >> email/IM for rates/services

    I had the same problem with a ZIp drive on an IDE. It showed up as a
    floppy (B) and always acted strange, even though it worked fine as a
    zip.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Jan 16, 2004