Floppy runs on XP boot & computer freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Christie Wagner, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Operating System Version: Windows XP SP-1
    Problem Application Name & Version: Freezing - any application; floppy
    runs on startup of Windows

    Problem Hardware Make & Model: Mitsumi Floppy Drive

    Error Messages: For Floppy - every time I boot up the computer, the floppy
    runs and runs. You have to put a floppy in the drive to get it to quiet
    down, but then it constantly scans the floppy and slows down the computer.
    First I replaced the floppy (twice), then the floppy cable (3 times). Mind
    you that this computer has all brand new parts in it - everything has been
    recently replaced. I thought that Norton Auto-protect was the problem, so i
    disabled that. That worked for 2 weeks but now it is doing it again. I am
    going to completely uninstall Norton Systemworks to see if it goes away, but
    I am not sure if that will help at all. I also did a regclean. If anyone has
    any other thoughts, that would be great.

    Also, if the computer is not used for a while it will freeze up while in
    the screensaver or it will freeze up while opening a program. The video card
    was replaced with a totally different card and the latest drivers are
    installed, so I am not sure if that is related to the other problem or not.
    There is a second compute rin the house that is exactly the same and it does
    not have these problems. Any thoughts would be great! I have a P4 2.4 GHz
    processor with an 80GB HD and 512MB RAM. Thank you!
    Christie Wagner, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Christie Wagner

    Rifleman Guest

    "Christie Wagner" <> wrote in message
    > Operating System Version: Windows XP SP-1
    > Problem Application Name & Version: Freezing - any application; floppy
    > runs on startup of Windows
    >
    > Problem Hardware Make & Model: Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >
    > Error Messages: For Floppy - every time I boot up the computer, the

    floppy
    > runs and runs. You have to put a floppy in the drive to get it to quiet
    > down, but then it constantly scans the floppy and slows down the computer.
    > First I replaced the floppy (twice), then the floppy cable (3 times). Mind
    > you that this computer has all brand new parts in it -

    if it's that new, do you really NEED a floppy?
    Rifleman, Feb 18, 2004