    but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004

  2. ~misfit~

    Genius Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
    > disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
    but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
    try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
    run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!
    Genius, Sep 10, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
    > disks
    > but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
    > --

    Total long shot, but........

    Try talking to MS. Since you have legit copies and only require replacement
    media - then they may be able to point you in the right direction.

    Of course, given that its the weekend, your stuck until Monday (unless
    someone else has a solution).

    Like I said, a long shot, but sometimes the answer can reside in the most
    unlikely place :)
    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 10, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Genius" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    > > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of

    wanting
    > > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    > > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    > > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
    > > disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    > looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
    > but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
    > try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
    > run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

    More than likely the disks will be stuffed. The surface doesn't age well.
    CDs should last longer as their surface aren't exposed to the air.
    I've had the same problem when trying re-install some old games on a 486 I
    gave away. It was a bugger to find most the disks wouldn't read properly
    considering what the buggers cost.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 10, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    Warwick Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:21:59 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
    > but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    You are not alone in this.
    Dunno if it was the new machine (Athlon 1800) I bought 3 years ago or OS
    (xp). 2 in 3 are fucked - XP says the disk requires formatting, however I
    can throw them into my old p2 and they work fine.
    The reason I suspect the OS is that the Athlon is dual boot, and floppys
    that fail in XP can be read under linux. Go figure.

    I have call for dos as well, I did see some set up cd images for free
    online, which I downloaded but have not tried yet.

    cheers.
    Warwick, Sep 10, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    Collector_NZ Guest

    ~misfit~ said the following on 10/09/2004 17:21:

    > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
    > but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Are you sure they are 1.44 and not 720k ?
    :cool:

    --
    Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
    governed by those who are dumber.
    Collector_NZ, Sep 10, 2004
  7. In article <GQa0d.891$>,
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    >floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    >to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    >checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable.

    Floppy disks were never very reliable, even when they were popular.
    That's why I always made backups of all of mine.

    Then when I got my first CD writer (which was a while ago), I used it to
    save backups of the floppies in the form of image files.

    Lawrence
    veteran of failures of every single data-storage format I've ever owned
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > veteran of failures of every single data-storage format I've ever owned

    Oh, thank god!

    I thought I was the only one to experience failures on every media.

    The manufacturers claim that floppys, cd, tape, usb, etc, etc........

    .........are foolproof.......

    My personal favourite is the claims that CD-R will last for 100 years. Of
    course, will we be here in 100 years to prove them wrong?
    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 10, 2004
  9. In article <GQa0d.891$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    >floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of wanting
    >to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    >checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    >unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
    >but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    You may on need the first install disk to upgrade from

    Try trademe.
    Else I might be able to help, Ive got DOS6 & Win3.1 on CD
    Steve Robertson, Sep 10, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    Charlie G. Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message

    > My personal favourite is the claims that CD-R will last for 100 years. Of
    > course, will we be here in 100 years to prove them wrong?

    Or if they only last 10 years, will we ever be able to find that 100 year
    guarantee in the box with the 15 - 20 other media types we've had to
    contend with since we bought it!

    Charlie
    Charlie G., Sep 10, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    Genius Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > "Genius" <> wrote in message
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11 on
    >> > floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of

    > wanting
    >> > to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot, tried
    >> > checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do? I have
    >> > unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade on 3.5"
    >> > disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    >> looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
    >> but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
    >> try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
    >> run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

    > More than likely the disks will be stuffed. The surface doesn't age well.
    > CDs should last longer as their surface aren't exposed to the air.
    > I've had the same problem when trying re-install some old games on a 486 I
    > gave away. It was a bugger to find most the disks wouldn't read properly
    > considering what the buggers cost.

    best to back all floppies, or anything you value for that matter, to cd.
    and make two copies while you are at it.
    and store one copy off-site (eg in garage).
    Genius, Sep 10, 2004
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    >> on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position
    >> of wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are
    >> shot, tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a
    >> man to do? I have unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 -
    >> 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks
    >> but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to upgrade.
    >> --

    > Total long shot, but........
    >
    > Try talking to MS. Since you have legit copies and only require
    > replacement media - then they may be able to point you in the right
    > direction.
    >
    > Of course, given that its the weekend, your stuck until Monday (unless
    > someone else has a solution).
    >
    > Like I said, a long shot, but sometimes the answer can reside in the
    > most unlikely place :)

    Not a bad idea I guess. I may give it a try.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <GQa0d.891$>,
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    >> on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position
    >> of wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are
    >> shot, tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable.

    > Floppy disks were never very reliable, even when they were popular.
    > That's why I always made backups of all of mine.
    >
    > Then when I got my first CD writer (which was a while ago), I used it
    > to save backups of the floppies in the form of image files.

    I don't suppose you have DOS 6.2 and Win 3.11 image files and somewhere I
    can D/L them from do you? :)

    I can send you a pic of my disks to prove I actually have them.
    --
    ~misfit~ (Without the ~'s and with an @ and an orcon.net.nz becomes my addy)
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:
    > ~misfit~ said the following on 10/09/2004 17:21:
    >
    >> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    >> on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position
    >> of wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are
    >> shot, tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a
    >> man to do? I have unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 -
    >> 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I
    >> don't have 3.1 to upgrade. --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > Are you sure they are 1.44 and not 720k ?
    > :cool:

    :) Yep, they're not *that* old.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Warwick wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:21:59 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    >> on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position
    >> of wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are
    >> shot, tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a
    >> man to do? I have unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 -
    >> 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I
    >> don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    > You are not alone in this.
    > Dunno if it was the new machine (Athlon 1800) I bought 3 years ago or
    > OS (xp). 2 in 3 are fucked - XP says the disk requires formatting,
    > however I can throw them into my old p2 and they work fine.
    > The reason I suspect the OS is that the Athlon is dual boot, and
    > floppys that fail in XP can be read under linux. Go figure.

    I don't currently have a linux installation so I can't check that. However
    neither XP or 98SE can read them.

    > I have call for dos as well, I did see some set up cd images for free
    > online, which I downloaded but have not tried yet.

    Hmmm, might have to have a look.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Genius wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    >> on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position
    >> of wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are
    >> shot, tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a
    >> man to do? I have unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 -
    >> 3.11 upgrade on 3.5" disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I
    >> don't have 3.1 to upgrade.

    > looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
    > but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?

    I've checked them in several drives with several OS's

    > try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
    > run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

    Yeah, the disks are shot I think.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Genius wrote:
    > *sling wrote:
    >

    >> "Genius" <> wrote in message

    >>> looks like you will have to get some good disks from somewhere.
    >>> but have you checked that your floppy drive isn't borked?
    >>> try another disk drive - and never write enable the floppies or
    >>> run checkdisk on them except in read-only mode!

    >> More than likely the disks will be stuffed. The surface doesn't age
    >> well. CDs should last longer as their surface aren't exposed to the
    >> air.
    >> I've had the same problem when trying re-install some old games on a
    >> 486 I gave away. It was a bugger to find most the disks wouldn't
    >> read properly considering what the buggers cost.
    >>

    > best to back all floppies, or anything you value for that matter, to
    > cd. and make two copies while you are at it.
    > and store one copy off-site (eg in garage).

    I actaullt did back these disks up once upon a time but I knew nothing of
    images then and just copied the complete contents of each disk to a folder.
    No good though ay? I even think I still have them.

    LOL, I just checked, I do have them, must have copied them from one machine
    to another for a few machines in my 'Data" folder. Not images though so I
    don't think I can use them for installing? I'd have to go buy a bunch of
    floppies too to copy them to.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Sep 10, 2004
  18. ~misfit~

    Genius Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Genius wrote:
    >> *sling wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Genius" <> wrote in message

    >>> More than likely the disks will be stuffed. The surface doesn't age
    >>> well. CDs should last longer as their surface aren't exposed to the
    >>> air.
    >>> I've had the same problem when trying re-install some old games on a
    >>> 486 I gave away. It was a bugger to find most the disks wouldn't
    >>> read properly considering what the buggers cost.
    >>>

    >> best to back all floppies, or anything you value for that matter, to
    >> cd. and make two copies while you are at it.
    >> and store one copy off-site (eg in garage).

    > I actaullt did back these disks up once upon a time but I knew nothing of
    > images then and just copied the complete contents of each disk to a
    > folder. No good though ay? I even think I still have them.
    >
    > LOL, I just checked, I do have them, must have copied them from one
    > machine
    > to another for a few machines in my 'Data" folder. Not images though so I
    > don't think I can use them for installing? I'd have to go buy a bunch of
    > floppies too to copy them to.

    old versions of windows will probably install from a plain copy.
    it wasnt until windows 95 that ms started putting an extra track
    on the floppy (track 81) containing secret information
    Genius, Sep 10, 2004
  19. ~misfit~

    Justin Sim Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:39:52 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't suppose you have DOS 6.2 and Win 3.11 image files and somewhere I
    >can D/L them from do you? :)
    >
    >I can send you a pic of my disks to prove I actually have them.

    I have a working set of these which you could copy or borrow
    for install purposes. What city do you live in?
    Justin Sim, Sep 10, 2004
  20. ~misfit~

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > I hate floppy disks. I have a legit copy of DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.11
    > on floppy and, amazing as it may seem, find myself in the position of
    > wanting to install it. Not a chance, virtually all the disks are shot,
    > tried checkdisk on 'em and most are unrecoverable. What's a man to do?
    > I have unopened boxes containing DOS 5 and Windows 3.1 - 3.11 upgrade
    > on 3.5" disks but I doubt they'll do me any good. I don't have 3.1 to
    > upgrade. --
    > ~misfit~

    Use google? Is looking for install disk sets on a cd from somewhere else
    for floppies you already own illegal? I leave that up to you to decide,
    but I have seen CD's with those very disks burnt onto them already.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 10, 2004