    if he has other WinME diskettes or just the one. Does anybody know if
    there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    windows platforms?
    George, Nov 18, 2005

  2. George

    gordon Guest

    George wrote:
    > Does anybody know if there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    > windows platforms?

    yes there can be. Unfortunately I don't have the reference here with me
    - if you can wait for a few hours 'till I get home......

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10, Pan, Evolution and Firefox
    gordon, Nov 18, 2005

  3. George

    gordon Guest

    George wrote:
    > I have a friend that tells me he has a floppy that was formatted using WinME
    > and whatever data is on it can't be opened with WinXP. Does that sound a
    > little hokey? I think he just has a floppy with a glitch that might be from
    > the original copy or just sitting around for a very long time. I don't know
    > if he has other WinME diskettes or just the one. Does anybody know if
    > there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    > windows platforms?

    Have a look here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309623

    and here for a possible solution:

    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=96191

    gordon, Nov 18, 2005
  4. "George" <> wrote in message
    >I have a friend that tells me he has a floppy that was formatted using
    >WinME
    > and whatever data is on it can't be opened with WinXP. Does that sound a
    > little hokey? I think he just has a floppy with a glitch that might be
    > from
    > the original copy or just sitting around for a very long time. I don't
    > know
    > if he has other WinME diskettes or just the one. Does anybody know if
    > there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    > windows platforms?

    Floppy Disks are a great way of destroying your data.
    Think of them as an alternative to shift+delete!

    Don't use floppies. Burn them all. I cannot get through to people who are
    always whinging when they 'know' that they saved something onto a floppy
    disk, and now it's not there, or it's corrupted.
    Hard Drive = good place to keep data,
    CDR/RW = good place to keep data,
    Floppy Disk = good way to never see your data again.

    **SS**
    Secret Squiddle, Nov 18, 2005
  5. George

    Thaqalain Guest

    I have both the Systems ME & XP,how & where can I backup existing
    drivers prior to installing 3mode.zip.
    Thaqalain, Nov 18, 2005
  6. George

    philo Guest

    George wrote:
    > I have a friend that tells me he has a floppy that was formatted using WinME
    > and whatever data is on it can't be opened with WinXP. Does that sound a
    > little hokey? I think he just has a floppy with a glitch that might be from
    > the original copy or just sitting around for a very long time. I don't know
    > if he has other WinME diskettes or just the one. Does anybody know if
    > there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    > windows platforms?

    windows XP should be able to read any floppy from windowsME...
    all the way back to msdos3.
    chances are the floppy just went bad.

    i've got some 20 year old floppies that are still good...
    but i've also seen them die within 2 weeks of purchase.

    if you have an "important" bootable floppy it's best to use a utility
    such as "win image" so you can always keep the image on a cd
    and make a new flopy when needed
    philo, Nov 18, 2005
  7. "Secret Squiddle" <> skrev i meddelandet

    > "George" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a friend that tells me he has a floppy that was formatted using
    >>WinME
    >> and whatever data is on it can't be opened with WinXP. Does that sound a
    >> little hokey? I think he just has a floppy with a glitch that might be
    >> from
    >> the original copy or just sitting around for a very long time. I don't
    >> know
    >> if he has other WinME diskettes or just the one. Does anybody know if
    >> there's a problem with WinXP not being able to read a disk from other
    >> windows platforms?

    > Floppy Disks are a great way of destroying your data.
    > Think of them as an alternative to shift+delete!
    >
    > Don't use floppies. Burn them all. I cannot get through to people who are
    > always whinging when they 'know' that they saved something onto a floppy
    > disk, and now it's not there, or it's corrupted.
    > Hard Drive = good place to keep data,
    > CDR/RW = good place to keep data,
    > Floppy Disk = good way to never see your data again.
    >
    > **SS**

    The wierd thing about this is, that they always used to work perfectly! On
    my Atari ST, floppys was the only way of saving data, and they never failed.

    Why don't they make quality floppys anymore?
    Roger Jansson, Nov 18, 2005