    booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.

    But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Oct 1, 2004

  2. mark  mandel

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "mark mandel" <> wrote in
    news:hqe7d.135$:

    > Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change
    > the booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes
    > normal.

    Changing the boot order won't 'correct' anything.

    > But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?

    Could be.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 1, 2004

  3. mark  mandel

    Wizard Guest

    Yes, but also loose cable or bad fdd controller.

    --
    "Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the
    statue."

    Wizard, Oct 1, 2004
    :

    --
    I'm out of sick days, so I'm calling in dead.

    Martin O'Brien, Oct 1, 2004
  5. mark  mandel

    colin Guest

    mark mandel <> wrote in message
    > I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
    > says "Floppy fail(40)."
    > Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
    > booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
    >
    > But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    could mean a bad cable or you've got the drive hooked up in the middle of
    the cable instead of after the twist, or you just didn't set any drives in
    the BIOS OR you picked the wrong drive type in the BIOS.

    colin, Oct 1, 2004
  6. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    > I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
    > says "Floppy fail(40)."
    > Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
    > booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
    >
    > But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    Thanks to all for the feedback thus far. Methinks it is *probably* the
    drive itself which has become moody. I do think that running Spinrite 6.0
    last week may have given it some additional "borrowed time" but I know this
    will soon end.

    mark mandel, Oct 1, 2004
  7. mark  mandel

    Volund Guest

    > I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
    > says "Floppy fail(40)."
    > Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change the
    > booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
    >
    > But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
    >
    > Mark Mandell

    Try the cable connector the other way round, sounds like you got it on the
    wrong way.

    Volund, Oct 2, 2004
  8. mark  mandel

    Thor Guest

    "Volund" <> wrote in message

    > "mark mandel" <> wrote in message
    >> I occasionally get this on the screen immediately after the POST(actually
    >> says "Floppy fail(40)."
    >> Then the drive is stuck at this point so I go into the BIOS and change
    >> the
    >> booting order which apparently corrects it since booting goes normal.
    >>
    >> But could this be a sign of a failing drive which I suspect it is?
    >>
    >> Mark Mandell
    >>

    > Try the cable connector the other way round, sounds like you got it on the
    > wrong way.

    This being the relatively important part.

    Thor, Oct 2, 2004