    tell me there are disks in the drives even though they are empty.

    --
    NS
    =?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWwgUw==?=, Aug 29, 2006

  2. Yup - a crossed cable. Is the light always on? A sure sign that the floppy
    drive connector is plugged in backwards. It won't cause any harm, but it
    makes the floppy not work. And those things are never "keyed" so that they
    can only go in the right way.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Oh, I never knew that, Charlie. I've just learned to look at the colored
    edge of the cable (lead nr. 1), and most drives today have a symbolic
    drawing engraved in the back if you're ever in doubt. As they fall into
    oblivion the time intervals can have you wonder. But the crossed cable,
    syndrome. . .thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWwgUw==?=

    VWWall Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Yup - a crossed cable. Is the light always on? A sure sign that the floppy
    > drive connector is plugged in backwards. It won't cause any harm, but it
    > makes the floppy not work. And those things are never "keyed" so that they
    > can only go in the right way.

    Several years ago I bought a floppy drive whose cable was "keyed" to go
    in the wrong way. I had to file the key off the connector to get it to
    plug in correctly. As usual, the constant "on" LED provided the clue.

    --
    Virg Wall, P.E.
    VWWall, Aug 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWwgUw==?=

    M. Murcek Guest

    Some day the fate of the Universe will hang upon someone finding an old
    floppy drive to read a diskette with "the answer to everything" on it. And,
    no, the answer is NOT "42..."

    M. Murcek, Aug 29, 2006
  6. of course it isn't "42". :) -- it's "64". :D

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006
  7. LOL. Figures, doesn't it?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Ha! - Very good, M.M.

    There is a bit of circular logic in there I am affraid, though. If someone
    finds such a diskette, it must be documentation compiled by someone who can
    only know what 'everything' is if that has already happened, and that makes
    the fate a known fact and thus the Universe's fate will not be dependent on
    it, and the uncovering of a drive to read the diskette - while a meaningfull
    mission, won't change anything.

    Truely sorry!

    But I agree that proprietary fileformats (among other things) isn't
    providing the generations to come with any substantial benefit.

    Tony. . .

    "M. Murcek" <> wrote in message
    > Some day the fate of the Universe will hang upon someone finding an old
    > floppy drive to read a diskette with "the answer to everything" on it.

    And,
    > no, the answer is NOT "42..."
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > > Oh, I never knew that, Charlie. I've just learned to look at the colored
    > > edge of the cable (lead nr. 1), and most drives today have a symbolic
    > > drawing engraved in the back if you're ever in doubt. As they fall into
    > > oblivion the time intervals can have you wonder. But the crossed cable,
    > > syndrome. . .thanks!
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Aug 29, 2006
  9. the real answer to life the universe and everything.. one day.. god sneezed..

    =?Utf-8?B?ZGZlaWZlcg==?=, Aug 30, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TmlnZWwgUw==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:46:02 -0700, dfeifer
    <> wrote:

    >the real answer to life the universe and everything.. one day.. god sneezed..

    Sorry, but the answer to that question is 42!

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 30, 2006
  11. Yes - perhaps there is even a bit of circular logic in 'everyhing'?

    Hmmm.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Aug 31, 2006