    a floppy it states that the disk isnt formatted the cables seem ok we even
    swapped for another drive with the same result, any ideas would be welcome,
    thanks in advance.
    pete, Oct 17, 2004

  2. pete

    Conor Guest

    In article <cku5dn$at$>, pete says...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i have just been to see a friends pc that is running XP but when he installs
    > a floppy it states that the disk isnt formatted the cables seem ok we even
    > swapped for another drive with the same result, any ideas would be welcome,
    > thanks in advance.

    Dead floppy drive either through dirt on the heads or misaligned heads.

    --
    Conor

    Opinions personal, facts suspect.
    Conor, Oct 17, 2004

  3. Two dead drives in a row, I doubt that...

    Lonely Planet Boy, Oct 17, 2004
  4. Is this when you put a blank floppy in , or before?

    Lonely Planet Boy, Oct 17, 2004
  5. pete

    John Holmes Guest

    pete came up with this:

    What the **** do you mean "when he installs a floppy"??

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Oct 17, 2004
  6. pete

    Trent SC Guest

    > i have just been to see a friends pc that is running XP but when he
    installs
    > a floppy it states that the disk isnt formatted the cables seem ok we even
    > swapped for another drive with the same result, any ideas would be

    welcome,
    > thanks in advance.

    There are known issues with floppies created on non-XP machines. Search the
    Microsoft Knowledgebase for more information.
    Trent SC, Oct 17, 2004
  7. pete

    ~Brian~ Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i have just been to see a friends pc that is running XP but when he
    > installs
    > a floppy it states that the disk isnt formatted the cables seem ok we even
    > swapped for another drive with the same result, any ideas would be
    > welcome,
    > thanks in advance.

    Ive had lots of false errors when trying to use the floppy drive with XP. I
    have uaually found that several retrys, can make it work OK.
    I first noticed it when I was making some rescue discs for my AV.
    ~Brian~, Oct 17, 2004
  8. pete

    pete Guest

    Thanks will try a proven drive, we did try another but wasnt previously in
    use, many thanks

    pete, Oct 17, 2004
  9. pete

    DC Guest

    pete wrote:
    > Hi all,

    > i have just been to see a friends pc that is running XP but when he installs
    > a floppy it states that the disk isnt formatted the cables seem ok we even
    > swapped for another drive with the same result, any ideas would be welcome,
    > thanks in advance.

    So, format the disk. Duh. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
    DC, Oct 17, 2004
  10. pete

    pete Guest

    information is on the disk, besides it wont format a disk either, thanks for
    the info.

    pete, Oct 18, 2004