    Can someone suggest any alternatives other than having to purchase a new
    floppy drive?

    An ICT Student

    Maurice Boyd, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Maurice Boyd

    Cosmopolite Guest

    Maurice Boyd wrote:

    > It would be fantastic if someone could help me with an ongoing computer
    > hardware problem.
    >
    > This consists of a floppy drive. On my machine this is the letter a:
    >
    > The requirements are thus. On booting my computer the floppy drive is non -
    > functional.
    >
    > I have taken steps previously to remedy this such as looking for new drivers
    > for the disk drive (a:)
    >
    > My thoughts have turned to a failed device in my computer.
    >
    > Can someone suggest any alternatives other than having to purchase a new
    > floppy drive?
    >
    > An ICT Student

    Have you checked the cables ?

    Cosmopolite, Aug 10, 2006

  3. Maurice Boyd

    DC Guest

    Maurice Boyd wrote:
    > It would be fantastic if someone could help me with an ongoing
    > computer hardware problem.
    >
    > This consists of a floppy drive. On my machine this is the letter a:
    >
    > The requirements are thus. On booting my computer the floppy drive
    > is non - functional.
    >
    > I have taken steps previously to remedy this such as looking for new
    > drivers for the disk drive (a:)
    >
    > My thoughts have turned to a failed device in my computer.
    >
    > Can someone suggest any alternatives other than having to purchase a
    > new floppy drive?
    >
    > An ICT Student

    Hello,
    My thoughts have turned to taking steps such as checking the BIOS
    (usually accessed thus: by pressing DEL key soon after switch on) to see
    if it is enabled. If so, my thoughts would then turn to checking the cable.
    Failing that, just swear at it for a few minutes, then go to the pub.
    DC

    DC, Aug 11, 2006
  4. Maurice Boyd

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Maurice Boyd wrote in message
    <8hMCg.64775$>...
    >It would be fantastic if someone could help me with an ongoing computer
    >hardware problem.
    >
    >This consists of a floppy drive. On my machine this is the letter a:
    >
    >The requirements are thus. On booting my computer the floppy drive is

    non -
    >functional.
    >
    >I have taken steps previously to remedy this such as looking for new

    drivers
    >for the disk drive (a:)
    >
    >My thoughts have turned to a failed device in my computer.
    >
    >Can someone suggest any alternatives other than having to purchase a new
    >floppy drive?
    >
    >An ICT Student

    You shouldn't need any drivers for a diskette drive. Check for it in the
    BIOS. If it still doesn't work check the cable. It could have vibrated
    loose. Although this is not likely it is possible especially if it has an
    older edge-style connector. Otherwise it could be a bad drive. But don't
    fret, they are quite cheap now. They retail new for about $20 at most
    stores or you can get one on eBay at a give-away price. Hope this helps,
    good luck.

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 12, 2006