    flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable as both
    A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as the A:
    drive. Still works as being recognized as the B: drive. But it would be much
    better if it were the A: drive. The inoperative A: drive was disconnected so
    if there is a software solution ... ? This on a Dell box running the
    (eccch..) M$ ME O/S.

    Fred Kasner, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Fred Kasner

    strand Guest

    i cant offer a solution but
    1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts drive letter
    allocations

    --
    xx
    "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    > I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a short
    > while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all. Light

    was
    > always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are indexed and
    > that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a boot

    disk

    strand, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    strand <> wrote:
    > i cant offer a solution but
    > 1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    > 2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts drive letter
    > allocations

    > --
    > xx
    > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    >> I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a short
    >> while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all. Light

    > was
    >> always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are indexed and
    >> that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a boot

    > disk
    >> for the CD drive so that kind of impotence is avoided. Bought an external
    >> flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable as

    > both
    >> A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as the A:
    >> drive. Still works as being recognized as the B: drive. But it would be

    > much
    >> better if it were the A: drive. The inoperative A: drive was disconnected

    > so
    >> if there is a software solution ... ? This on a Dell box running the
    >> (eccch..) M$ ME O/S.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

    Note I pointed out that I made the CD drive capable of booting the puter.
    That means I went through the BIOS to make the necessary changes. If there
    were a means to boot from the B: drive I would have changed to it. As for the
    properties that might be in the O/S to change it, that is why I posted the
    question. Thanks for telling me what I might do when I clearly have already
    done so.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Fred Kasner

    hushia Guest

    > strand <> wrote:
    > > i cant offer a solution but
    > > 1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    > > 2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts

    drive letter
    > > allocations

    > > --
    > > xx
    > > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    > >> I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a

    short
    > >> while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all.

    Light
    > > was
    > >> always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are

    indexed and
    > >> that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a

    boot
    > > disk
    > >> for the CD drive so that kind of impotence is avoided. Bought an

    external
    > >> flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable

    as
    > > both
    > >> A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as

    the A:
    > >> drive. Still works as being recognized as the B: drive. But it

    would be
    > > much
    > >> better if it were the A: drive. The inoperative A: drive was

    disconnected
    > > so
    > >> if there is a software solution ... ? This on a Dell box running

    the
    > >> (eccch..) M$ ME O/S.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

    > Note I pointed out that I made the CD drive capable of booting the

    puter.
    > That means I went through the BIOS to make the necessary changes. If

    there
    > were a means to boot from the B: drive I would have changed to it. As

    for the
    > properties that might be in the O/S to change it, that is why I posted

    the
    > question. Thanks for telling me what I might do when I clearly have

    already
    > done so.
    > FK

    Hmm...are there any conflicts or Other devices in the Windows device
    manager?

    hushia, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    hushia <> wrote:
    > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    >> strand <> wrote:
    >> > i cant offer a solution but
    >> > 1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    >> > 2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts

    > drive letter
    >> > allocations

    >> > --
    >> > xx
    >> > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message

    > short

    > Light
    >> > was

    > indexed and

    > boot
    >> > disk

    > external

    > as
    >> > both

    > the A:

    > would be
    >> > much

    > disconnected
    >> > so

    > the

    >> Note I pointed out that I made the CD drive capable of booting the

    > puter.
    >> That means I went through the BIOS to make the necessary changes. If

    > there
    >> were a means to boot from the B: drive I would have changed to it. As

    > for the
    >> properties that might be in the O/S to change it, that is why I posted

    > the
    >> question. Thanks for telling me what I might do when I clearly have

    > already
    >> done so.
    >> FK
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

    > Hmm...are there any conflicts or Other devices in the Windows device
    > manager?

    None that I can see. And attempts to change floppy drive letter assignments
    in "System Properties" fails as changes are not allowed.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Fred Kasner

    Eugene Solot Guest

    You can usually change the floppy letter designation in bios but I have
    never seen a Dell bios.

    Eugene Solot, Apr 12, 2004
  7. Fred Kasner

    Toolman Tim Guest

    True, Eugene. I've used the "Swap Floppy Drive" setting in several computers
    to force a boot from the B: drive. Unfortunately, every Dell CMOS setup I've
    seen (probably 25 or more) didn't allow that. They really limit what the end
    user can change in their system.

    Toolman

    "Eugene Solot" <> wrote in message
    > You can usually change the floppy letter designation in bios but I have
    > never seen a Dell bios.
    > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    > > I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a short
    > > while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all. Light

    > was
    > > always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are indexed

    and
    > > that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a boot

    > disk
    > > for the CD drive so that kind of impotence is avoided. Bought an

    external
    > > flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable as

    > both
    > > A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as the

    A:

    Toolman Tim, Apr 12, 2004
  8. Fred Kasner

    Millimeter Guest

    On 11 Apr 2004 15:33:49 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    wrote:

    >I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a short
    >while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all. Light was
    >always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are indexed and
    >that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a boot disk
    >for the CD drive so that kind of impotence is avoided. Bought an external
    >flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable as both
    >A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as the A:
    >drive. Still works as being recognized as the B: drive. But it would be much
    >better if it were the A: drive. The inoperative A: drive was disconnected so
    >if there is a software solution ... ? This on a Dell box running the
    >(eccch..) M$ ME O/S.

    I don't yet know much about USB floppies but,
    Typically the floppy drives where intentionally cable select by design
    in that the A/B designation was determined by which section of the
    cable the drive was connected to. If there is only a single floppy in
    the chain then it should accept being called A: or B:, unless the
    drive letter had been remapped to a different physical drive such as a
    network drive.

    If the light on your replacement drive is staying on it could be from
    a number of causes. A failed drive is a possibility or having the
    connector upside down, or even a pin that is bent or corroded.

    As you said it worked for a "short" time before it failed, I wonder if
    it is not a power supply issue. How big is your power supply and what
    all do you have running off of it?

    Having asked that, is there a USB driver for the drive that would
    allow you to choose which drive letter to use? I know that some dos
    mouse drivers allow you to force it to expect a particular com port to
    use.

    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 12, 2004
  9. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    strand <> wrote:
    > i cant offer a solution but
    > 1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    > 2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts drive letter
    > allocations

    That is a property attributed to an XP OS. ME and earlier cannot allocate the drive letters in
    an arbitrary manner.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, May 5, 2004
  10. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    hushia <> wrote:
    > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message
    >> strand <> wrote:
    >> > i cant offer a solution but
    >> > 1. is everything looking correct in the Bios setup ?
    >> > 2. Is there somewhere in your OS (ver ?) that permits/restricts

    > drive letter
    >> > allocations

    >> > --
    >> > xx
    >> > "Fred Kasner" <> wrote in message

    > short

    > Light
    >> > was

    > indexed and

    > boot
    >> > disk

    > external

    > as
    >> > both

    > the A:

    > would be
    >> > much

    > disconnected
    >> > so

    > the

    >> Note I pointed out that I made the CD drive capable of booting the

    > puter.
    >> That means I went through the BIOS to make the necessary changes. If

    > there
    >> were a means to boot from the B: drive I would have changed to it. As

    > for the
    >> properties that might be in the O/S to change it, that is why I posted

    > the
    >> question. Thanks for telling me what I might do when I clearly have

    > already
    >> done so.
    >> FK
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

    > Hmm...are there any conflicts or Other devices in the Windows device
    > manager?

    Nope.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, May 5, 2004
  11. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Eugene Solot <> wrote:
    > You can usually change the floppy letter designation in bios but I have
    > never seen a Dell bios.

    That is one of the first things I attempted in my trip through the BIOS. BUt it would not
    accept a change of the letters of the floppies even though it allows you to write to the those
    designations. Just leaves them unchanged whether written to or attempted changes via something
    like the pageup or pagedown keys.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, May 5, 2004
  12. Fred Kasner

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Millimeter <> wrote:
    > On 11 Apr 2004 15:33:49 GMT, Fred Kasner <>
    > wrote:

    >>I had problems with my A: drive floppy. Got a new one and it for a short
    >>while solved the problem. Then the new one failed to work at all. Light was
    >>always on. That implied reversed leads. But the connectors are indexed and
    >>that is impossible unless you pull out the wires. Anyway I made a boot disk
    >>for the CD drive so that kind of impotence is avoided. Bought an external
    >>flooppy for the USB port and it works. At first it was recognizable as both
    >>A: and B: much to my surprise. Then it stopped being recognized as the A:
    >>drive. Still works as being recognized as the B: drive. But it would be much
    >>better if it were the A: drive. The inoperative A: drive was disconnected so
    >>if there is a software solution ... ? This on a Dell box running the
    >>(eccch..) M$ ME O/S.

    > I don't yet know much about USB floppies but,
    > Typically the floppy drives where intentionally cable select by design
    > in that the A/B designation was determined by which section of the
    > cable the drive was connected to. If there is only a single floppy in
    > the chain then it should accept being called A: or B:, unless the
    > drive letter had been remapped to a different physical drive such as a
    > network drive.

    > If the light on your replacement drive is staying on it could be from
    > a number of causes. A failed drive is a possibility or having the
    > connector upside down, or even a pin that is bent or corroded.

    > As you said it worked for a "short" time before it failed, I wonder if
    > it is not a power supply issue. How big is your power supply and what
    > all do you have running off of it?

    > Having asked that, is there a USB driver for the drive that would
    > allow you to choose which drive letter to use? I know that some dos
    > mouse drivers allow you to force it to expect a particular com port to
    > use.

    > Millimeter

    ONe of the things I investigated was the wiring. I even tried three different cables for the
    internal floppy. All produced the same unhappy results. The internal floppy was a poor fit to
    its carriage (but that's a result of the physical setup of the Dell case. The power supply
    doesn't run hot. It it were underpowered it would certainly run hot. No other devices show
    problems save the original HD finally giving up the ghost after three and a half years. I just
    reformatted the second HD and installed ME on it after switching the cable from the dead unit
    to the second HD. After loading all needed software and data it runs quite well for a cranky
    old ME box. Except for all those resources hogs that I run such as NAV. It makes one program
    where I help students in the sciences crash with annoying regularity when I am online.

    Just yesterday checked out the USB driver disk. There is no choice for the drive letter in the
    setup. I may have to run an editor on the driver to see if in the hex code there is an
    assignment that I could change.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, May 5, 2004