Floppy drive problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by William J. Lunsford, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. A friend who has saved a lot of data to floppies is having a problem with
    his floppy drive. He gets the message that all of his floppies are not
    formatted. Removing and reloading the driver didn't help. Windows 98 found
    the hardware and the driver appeared to load properly. The drive was
    enabled properly in Setup. I installed a new floppy drive for him, but the
    new drive would not read floppies and we got the message about the floppies
    not being formatted. The only difference is that the new drive showed up
    properly in My Computer as 3½ Floppy A. The old drive was shown as
    Removable Drive A. Device Manager showed both the old drive and the new
    drive as working properly with no conflicts. Properties of a blank
    formatted floppy in the new drive showed:

    Used space 0 bytes

    Free space 0 bytes

    Capacity 0 bytes

    But the pie chart showed the whole blank floppy as used space.

    Drive access was very slow.

    I did not try another floppy cable because I didn't have one readily
    available. The cable appears to be seated properly. I tried one of his
    floppies in my own computer and it worked fine.

    Is this a problem with the floppy cable, a motherboard problem, or something
    I haven't thought about? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 4, 2003

  2. On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:24:31 -0500, "William J. Lunsford"
    <> wrote:

    >A friend who has saved a lot of data to floppies is having a problem with
    >his floppy drive. He gets the message that all of his floppies are not
    >formatted. Removing and reloading the driver didn't help. Windows 98 found
    >the hardware and the driver appeared to load properly. The drive was
    >enabled properly in Setup. I installed a new floppy drive for him, but the
    >new drive would not read floppies and we got the message about the floppies
    >not being formatted. The only difference is that the new drive showed up
    >properly in My Computer as 3½ Floppy A. The old drive was shown as
    >Removable Drive A. Device Manager showed both the old drive and the new
    >drive as working properly with no conflicts. Properties of a blank
    >formatted floppy in the new drive showed:
    >
    >Used space 0 bytes
    >
    >Free space 0 bytes
    >
    >Capacity 0 bytes
    >
    >But the pie chart showed the whole blank floppy as used space.
    >
    >Drive access was very slow.
    >
    >I did not try another floppy cable because I didn't have one readily
    >available. The cable appears to be seated properly. I tried one of his
    >floppies in my own computer and it worked fine.
    >

    >Is this a problem with the floppy cable, a motherboard problem, or something
    >I haven't thought about? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

    If you haven't tried it, try the floppies in another computer.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 4, 2003

  3. William J. Lunsford

    Nick Guest

    I can remember running into a similar problem. In my
    case, it did end up being the main board. Definitely
    check the cable first, maybe you will be lucky.
    --

    Nick
    A+, MCP

    Nick, Jul 5, 2003
  4. His floppies work fine in another computer. Thanks for your reply.

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 5, 2003
  5. This appears to be a different problem. I have asked my friend to scan his
    C drive with an up-to-date antivirus program. I will try working on his
    computer again in a few days and will post the results. Thank you for your
    help.
    Bill

    "Ronnie Broyles" <> wrote in message
    > I've seen the problem--but there were three main problems. First I was
    > tring to use the wrong size floppy and second--my drive controller was
    > turned off and third my floppy drive was bad. I replaced the drive,

    turned

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 5, 2003
  6. William J. Lunsford

    John D Loop Guest

    I have seen variations of this problem over the years.
    Especially in the preformatted floppies.
    There seems to be occasional variation in the floppy drive ability to follow
    the tracks
    formatted by other floppy drives. I attribute it to wide variations creeping
    into the manufacturing process.
    .....Normally.... formatting the floppy in the drive that you use solves the
    problem.
    But not always. Very frustrating sometimes.
    I see the same problem in the CR/CD-R/CD-RW drives. very frustrating.
    Check my web site for tips on homenetworking and safe computing
    www.pccitizen.com

    John D Loop, Jul 5, 2003
  7. The CMOS settings were checked. I'll try your other suggestions in a few
    days when I work on his computer again. Thanks for your help.

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 5, 2003
  8. He has lots of floppies and does not want to lose the data on the floppies.
    I tried one of his floppies in my computer and it works fine. I have been
    told that deletion of the "hsflop.pdr" file can cause the very same problems
    he is having and that several viruses delete this file. I asked him to
    obtain an up-to-date antivirus program and scan his hard drive. After the
    virus is cleaned, we can extract "hsflop.pdr" from a Windows 98 CD.

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 5, 2003

  9. >>
    >> "William J. Lunsford" <> wrote in message
    >> > A friend who has saved a lot of data to floppies is having a problem

    >with
    >> > his floppy drive. He gets the message that all of his floppies are not
    >> > formatted. Removing and reloading the driver didn't help. Windows 98

    >> found
    >> > the hardware and the driver appeared to load properly. The drive was
    >> > enabled properly in Setup. I installed a new floppy drive for him, but

    >> the
    >> > new drive would not read floppies and we got the message about the

    >> floppies
    >> > not being formatted. The only difference is that the new drive showed

    >up
    >> > properly in My Computer as 3½ Floppy A. The old drive was shown as
    >> > Removable Drive A. Device Manager showed both the old drive and the new
    >> > drive as working properly with no conflicts. Properties of a blank
    >> > formatted floppy in the new drive showed:
    >> >
    >> > Used space 0 bytes
    >> >
    >> > Free space 0 bytes
    >> >
    >> > Capacity 0 bytes
    >> >
    >> > But the pie chart showed the whole blank floppy as used space.
    >> >
    >> > Drive access was very slow.
    >> >
    >> > I did not try another floppy cable because I didn't have one readily
    >> > available. The cable appears to be seated properly. I tried one of his
    >> > floppies in my own computer and it worked fine.
    >> >

    >> > Is this a problem with the floppy cable, a motherboard problem, or

    >> something
    >> > I haven't thought about? Has anyone seen anything like this before?

    If he hasn't changed anything and all of a sudden is having trouble
    reading the disks I would also consider that the floppy drives heads
    are not aligned properly.

    I had the same problems as you describe. In the beginning you don't
    notice it because everything works fine as long you don't try to read
    the disks in another drive (which would have properly aligned heads).
    But once the drive deteriorates a little more you wont be able to read
    last weeks disk, etc..

    Don't take life so seriously; It's not permanent.

    Joe Rubberneck, Jul 7, 2003
  10. I tried everything suggested here and all of the suggestions I found from
    other sources. Nothing worked. This must be a motherboard problem. I thank
    all of you for your help.

    William J. Lunsford, Jul 11, 2003