    reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
    up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with 512
    megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?
    mjf, Jan 4, 2006

  2. mjf

    Chet Guest

    You probably have developed a problem in the floppy drive. When you insert
    a different disk, the drive sends a signal to the OS which should then
    discard any old info about the disk in the drive. If that signal isn't
    being sent, the driver and OS "think" that the old disk is still there.

    It's also possible that something is wrong in the driver. You could try
    removing and re-installing the driver and see if it helps.

    Chet, Jan 4, 2006

  3. mjf

    (Just) Allan Guest

    On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:00 -0500, "mjf" <> wrote:

    >My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
    >fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When I
    >reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
    >up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with 512
    >megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

    When you put the second disk in, and you right-click in the area of
    the screen showing the files and select REFRESH, does it still do it?
    (Just) Allan, Jan 4, 2006
  4. mjf

    Erick Guest

    That was going to be my suggestion. If you leave the window open with the
    contents displayed and insert another disk, Windows has no idea that a new
    disk has been put in (floppy drives don't work like CD drives).

    However, if it's in the command prompt, it's definitely a problem with the
    drive.

    Erick, Jan 6, 2006
  5. mjf

    Robert Baer Guest

    Erick wrote:
    > That was going to be my suggestion. If you leave the window open with the
    > contents displayed and insert another disk, Windows has no idea that a new
    > disk has been put in (floppy drives don't work like CD drives).
    >
    > However, if it's in the command prompt, it's definitely a problem with the
    > drive.
    >

    > "(Just) Allan" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:34:00 -0500, "mjf" <> wrote:
    >

    >>My problem is that when I put a floppy in the A: drive it reads the disc
    >>fine, but the second disc inserted reads the first discs information. When
    >>reboot the next disc will read fine but the next disc inserted still brings
    >>up the first discs information. I'm running win xp business edition with
    >>512
    >>megs of ram and 1.3 gig pent.4. Any ideas or fixes?

    > When you put the second disk in, and you right-click in the area of
    > the screen showing the files and select REFRESH, does it still do it?

    I am using Win98Se and it "knows" about a disk change, but that does
    not mean that the floppy directory automatically gets re-read just
    because of the change.
    One needs to do something that causes a disk access.
    Robert Baer, Jan 6, 2006