    drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
    do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
    Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

    Walter Mitty, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Walter Mitty

    Plato Guest

    Walter Mitty wrote:

    > My floppy drive ceases to work. I'm running XP Home. The drive appears in
    > the device manager list and shows to be working ok but when I double click
    > My Computer all the drives are there with the exception of the floppy. I
    > have run the hardware wizard with no joy. I have installed another floppy
    > drive with no joy. My floppy drive works on the other pc.The floppy lights
    > do not come on when starting my pc or when inserting a floppy.
    > Does anyone have any pointers for me to go on?

    Does it work after booting with a dos bootdisk? If not, then either the
    bios is set incorrectly or the drive/cable is bad, or the power to the
    drive is bad.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 24, 2005

  3. Walter Mitty

    Adi Guest

    Check what is run as resident program. Put them all in Close status and then
    check that will floppy work.
    If works you must find program that disturb it is switch to ON (you see it
    in status line).

    "Walter Mitty" <> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:EtNue.3003$ ...

    Adi, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > Does it work after booting with a dos bootdisk? If not, then either the
    > bios is set incorrectly or the drive/cable is bad, or the power to the
    > drive is bad.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Hi there Plato. I have tried everything I can think of. I have put in the
    disk before booting but it just doesn't realize that the floppy is inserted
    and won't read it. I have the BIOS set to 1st boot floppy, seek floppy. the
    cables all check out as the drive & cable works on another pc. I even put
    the cable in the wrong way and all I got was the floppy light staying on as
    expected.

    Walter Mitty, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    "Adi" <> wrote in message
    > Check what is run as resident program. Put them all in Close status and
    > then check that will floppy work.
    > If works you must find program that disturb it is switch to ON (you see it
    > in status line).

    any resident programs I can think of would be calculator,calendar etc. What
    is the path to check this out.

    Walter Mitty, Jun 24, 2005
  6. Walter Mitty

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the drive is set up as a 3.5 inch
    1.44 megabyte drive. Be sure to save any changes when exiting.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jun 24, 2005
  7. Walter Mitty

    pengulin Guest

    > Hi there Plato. I have tried everything I can think of. I have put in the
    > disk before booting but it just doesn't realize that the floppy is

    inserted
    > and won't read it. I have the BIOS set to 1st boot floppy, seek floppy.

    the
    > cables all check out as the drive & cable works on another pc. I even put
    > the cable in the wrong way and all I got was the floppy light staying on

    as
    > expected.

    The fact that the drive light does not flash at all seems to indicate a
    power issue. Even if bios was set incorrectly drive should flash briefly one
    time when system powers on. Since you pulled the drive and the data cable
    and it works in a different machine, I suspect the power lead on the machine
    in which the drive doesn't work. I believe you said you tried a different
    drive in the same machine, and that didn't work either? Since power supplies
    often have two small power leads, I would try the alternate power lead. If
    there is no alternate power lead that will fit the floppy drive, you could
    find an adaptor at any computer store (not office max or staples) that will
    convert a standard power lead to a small floppy power lead.

    pengulin, Jun 24, 2005
  8. Walter Mitty

    Adi Guest

    I do not know how many program you have in Startup group (some have to 30
    programs runinng as resident).
    Left click on icon and Exit one by one.
    I tell you this because i have same problem and removing a one bad program
    floppy works normal again.

    "Walter Mitty" <> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:UtPue.3356$ ...

    Adi, Jun 24, 2005