Floppy drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jaap, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Jaap

    Jaap Guest

    This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
    it yet in any web forum.

    I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.

    I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
    neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.

    Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
    had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.

    In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
    a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
    floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
    for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
    feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
    before I tried the second drive.

    I use Windows ME.

    I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.

    Jaap
    Jaap, Mar 7, 2004

  2. Jaap

    philo Guest

    "Jaap" <> wrote in message
    > This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
    > it yet in any web forum.
    >
    > I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.
    >
    > I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
    > neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.
    >
    > Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
    > had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.
    >
    > In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
    > a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
    > floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
    > for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
    > feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
    > before I tried the second drive.
    >
    > I use Windows ME.
    >
    > I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.
    >
    > Jaap

    first off , make sure it's set correctly in the bios...
    (drive A: 1.44 megs)
    if that's ok ...be sure the data and power cables are connected...
    you might have dislodged something...

    also...floppy A: should be on the far end of the ribbon cable
    philo, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Jaap

    °Mike° Guest

    No once did you mention if you had checked the
    cable/s and/or connection/s. Do that.

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:41:33 GMT, in
    <4all.nl>
    Jaap scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Jaap

    Jaap Guest

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 09:14:18 -0600, "philo" <> wrote:

    >"Jaap" <> wrote in message
    >> This problem is several months old, and I haven't found a solution for
    >> it yet in any web forum.
    >>
    >> I have a Compaq Presario with a floppy drive which worked just fine.
    >>
    >> I thought I'd try to install a second floppy drive. When I did,
    >> neither of them worked. So I removed drive #2 again.
    >>
    >> Since then floppy drive #1 doesn't work anymore. I removed the driver,
    >> had windows detect it and install the driver again. No change.
    >>
    >> In Windows Explorer I can see the A: drive. If I click on it, it takes
    >> a long time for explorer te say: Insert a disk. I can try any good
    >> floppy I want, windows still thinks there is no disk inside. Same goes
    >> for Scandisk. And for Save Mode. If you insert a floppy, the drive
    >> feels dead, you don't see/hear it work. Though it worked just fine
    >> before I tried the second drive.
    >>
    >> I use Windows ME.
    >>
    >> I'd greatly appreciate any clues on this.
    >>
    >> Jaap
    >>

    >first off , make sure it's set correctly in the bios...
    >(drive A: 1.44 megs)
    >if that's ok ...be sure the data and power cables are connected...
    >you might have dislodged something...
    >
    >also...floppy A: should be on the far end of the ribbon cable

    Great, that solved it ! The drive was on the other plug, not on the
    far end. I never knew their function was different.

    Thanks a lot,

    Jaap
    Jaap, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Jaap

    philo Guest

    > Great, that solved it ! The drive was on the other plug, not on the
    > far end. I never knew their function was different.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    >
    > Jaap

    glad you got it...
    there is a twist in the cable that makes the difference
    philo, Mar 7, 2004