floppy drive problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Stevo, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Stevo

    Stevo Guest

    Houses Oireachtas wrote:
    > i am running windows 98 have problem with floppy drive not reading
    > disks
    > i have changed drive and cable did not resolve problem when i went to
    > format disk
    > 720k disk appeared on dropdown window any ideas appreciated

    A wild guess would tell me that the floppy drive is a 720 Kb drive (or might
    be set to that in the BIOS) and you are trying to read 1.44 Mb disks.

    Try a 720K disk - they are the ones with only the write protect tab, not the
    hole on the opposite side. If that works, then that is your problem..

    Were the drive and cable you put in new items? Can you provide any more
    detail about the hardware?

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Stevo, Oct 3, 2003

  2. i am running windows 98 have problem with floppy drive not reading disks

    Houses Oireachtas, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Stevo

    Shel-hed Guest

    It sounds like you lost the setting in the bios.
    Check the motherboard manual for directions on how to set it properly.

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:21:27 +0100, "Houses Oireachtas" <> wrote
    in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Oct 4, 2003
  4. Stevo

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:21:27 +0100, "Houses Oireachtas" <> wrote:

    >i am running windows 98 have problem with floppy drive not reading disks
    >i have changed drive and cable did not resolve problem when i went to format
    >disk
    >720k disk appeared on dropdown window any ideas appreciated

    You are also losing upper case.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640