    i put a floppy drive in, it shows in bios, shows in windows, device manager
    etc,when i insert a floppy it says to insert a floppy in drive A. I bought
    another floppy drive same thing?

    doS, Feb 18, 2005

  2. doS

    BIGEYE Guest

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    news:4huRd.1152$...
    > i put a floppy drive in, it shows in bios, shows in windows, device
    > manager
    > etc,when i insert a floppy it says to insert a floppy in drive A. I bought
    > another floppy drive same thing?

    Try another disk, the one you are using may have become unreadable.

    BIGEYE, Feb 18, 2005

  3. doS

    doS Guest

    did that, tried 3 different ones and changed the cable.no joy

    doS, Feb 18, 2005
  4. doS

    Plato Guest

    BIGEYE wrote:

    > > i put a floppy drive in, it shows in bios, shows in windows, device
    > > manager
    > > etc,when i insert a floppy it says to insert a floppy in drive A. I bought
    > > another floppy drive same thing?

    > Try another disk, the one you are using may have become unreadable.

    Often, especially if you havn't use a floppy drive in ages, you insert a
    disk, then the disk grabs all the dirt and grime off the floppy heads.
    So you go and put in another drive and wala, same problem. Why? you just
    transferred the sticky dirt and grime to the new drive heads.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Feb 18, 2005
  5. doS

    doS Guest

    man, you wont beleive this....ever saw a case that has the floppy cover,
    http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/xoxide/silvercover1a.jpg

    you instert the floppy drive to butt against the cover...the fking thing
    was keeping the eject button depressed.......

    doS, Feb 18, 2005
  6. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Heh heh...slight misadjustment there <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2005
  7. doS

    doS Guest

    ;-)

    doS, Feb 19, 2005
  8. doS

    Clob Guest

    Throw it against the wall to prevent futher problems

    Clob, Feb 19, 2005
  9. doS

    Plato Guest

    doS wrote:

    > man, you wont beleive this....ever saw a case that has the floppy cover,
    > http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/xoxide/silvercover1a.jpg
    >
    > you instert the floppy drive to butt against the cover...the fking thing
    > was keeping the eject button depressed.......

    Lots of older big brand cases had floppy covers built into the front
    bezel. To put in a standard drive you had to pry off the front cover of
    the 1.44 drive. Easy really.

    Plato, Feb 19, 2005
  10. doS

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    | doS wrote:
    | >
    | > man, you wont beleive this....ever saw a case that has the floppy cover,
    | > http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/xoxide/silvercover1a.jpg
    | >
    | > you instert the floppy drive to butt against the cover...the fking thing
    | > was keeping the eject button depressed.......
    |
    | Lots of older big brand cases had floppy covers built into the front
    | bezel. To put in a standard drive you had to pry off the front cover of
    | the 1.44 drive. Easy really.

    Until the blasted little plastic tabs that snapped the case back on broke.
    I've had to devise "alternate" connection methods on several :eek:(

    Toolman Tim, Feb 19, 2005
  11. doS

    No one Guest

    Plato wrote:
    [...]
    > Often, especially if you havn't use a floppy drive in ages, you insert a
    > disk, then the disk grabs all the dirt and grime off the floppy heads.
    > So you go and put in another drive and wala, same problem. Why? you just
    > transferred the sticky dirt and grime to the new drive heads.

    unless it's changed recently, diskette detection is a mechanical
    interlock and a switch. it's likely the OP's problem lies somewhere
    else.

    also... the term is 'voila' (with accent over the 'a'), and is an
    expression of satisfaction with something. "wala" is reserved for
    use by the under-educated.

    No one, Feb 19, 2005
  12. doS

    doS Guest