floppy drive....... gone!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Lady Jessica, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Help! I'm having problems accessing my floppy disc drive (the common or
    garden 3.5" variety).

    It was fine up until today.

    Now, every time I click on 3.5 floppy under 'My Computer', I get a
    loooooooong wait followed by the menu. Whatever I try to do, it always
    tells me that either a) I do not have access to the A:\ drive (I'm using
    Windows '98, so this shouldn't be a problem), or b) it says that my disk is
    unformatted (when I know it is). If I prompt it to format the disk, all I
    get is the formatting dialogue box and then the whole system crashes. Again
    and again. It also seems to be affecting my 'Active Desk Top', although I'm
    not sure why. I get some odd message superimposed on my desk top and when I
    click 'Restore Active Desk Top' it all seems to go back to normal until the
    next time I try to access the A: drive.

    Please help. Do I have a virus of some sort? Please type any technical
    replies s-l-o-w-l-y as I'm not so gifted in that area.

    Many thanks in advance
    --
    The Lady Jessica

    The Lady Jessica, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Oops, meant to hit the 'Reply Group' button, hit the 'Reply' button instead.

    Here it is again........

    Thanks for that, Mike, but I've already tried that. I have no problem
    accessing the C: drive and the D: drive, my CD ROMs all seem to play okay
    and all the other parts of the pc appear fine, too. It's just the damn 3.5
    drive.

    The Lady Jessica, Aug 19, 2003

  3. The Lady Jessica

    Just Taylor Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:50:34 +0100, "The Lady Jessica"
    <> wrote:

    >Now, every time I click on 3.5 floppy under 'My Computer', I get a
    >loooooooong wait followed by the menu. Whatever I try to do, it always
    >tells me that either a) I do not have access to the A:\ drive (I'm using
    >Windows '98, so this shouldn't be a problem), or b) it says that my disk is
    >unformatted (when I know it is). If I prompt it to format the disk, all I
    >get is the formatting dialogue box and then the whole system crashes. Again
    >and again. It also seems to be affecting my 'Active Desk Top', although I'm
    >not sure why. I get some odd message superimposed on my desk top and when I
    >click 'Restore Active Desk Top' it all seems to go back to normal until the
    >next time I try to access the A: drive.

    Just to make sure have you tried a new/different 1.4MB FD? I just a
    driver disk go bad on me the other day and I had the same problem. You
    may think the floppy is formatted and working OK but it could very well
    be bad, even if it is new.

    If that is not the case and you have not made any changes in your BIOS
    or computer setup your floppy just may have decided it was time to take
    leave at the floppy rest home in the sky.

    --
    Taylor

    Just Taylor, Aug 19, 2003
  4. The Lady Jessica

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm not talking about the C: and D: drive - replace the *floppy*
    drive, physically.

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:07:25 +0100, in
    <zqv0b.28190$>
    The Lady Jessica scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 19, 2003
  5. The Lady Jessica

    JabberSmith Guest

    "The Lady Jessica" <> wrote in message
    > I've done that. I checked with several types of disc and still the same
    > problem.
    >
    > --

    Steps to replace DISC:

    Push button, remove plastic thingy with metal thingy door on it. Insert new
    disc thingy, same direction as the other one, metal door first, round metal
    bit down.

    Steps to replace Floppy DRIVE

    Unplug computer, remove cover (usually by removing some screws), find floppy
    drive, unscrew floppy drive from frame (usually four), pull out mulit-color
    cable (power), pull out ribbon cable (data) [gently on those]. Insert new
    floppy drive, using reverse steps.

    See the difference?

    The drive is probably dead. It's not worth spending more than 5 minutues
    trouble-shooting it. Simply replace. New are $8 where I am, could be
    cheaper some places.

    JabberSmith, Aug 20, 2003