    Amd Athlon-PeCM 900 mhz, 30gb drive. Do I have
    a bad floppydisk drive? TIA for advice
    John
    J & C Houghton, Jan 19, 2004

  2. J & C Houghton

    Harrison Guest

    Check the cables. Does it appear in Windows Device Manager? If so, and
    it's still not working. Remove it and let Windows redetect.
    Still not working? > Get a new one, if you must have one.

    Harrison, Jan 19, 2004

  3. J & C Houghton

    Ron Martell Guest

    "J & C Houghton" <> wrote:

    >Comp. wont boot to A floppy...boot ok to c & cdrom.
    >Checked bios & boot sequence is correct..Using
    >Amd Athlon-PeCM 900 mhz, 30gb drive. Do I have
    >a bad floppydisk drive? TIA for advice
    >John

    Boot into Windows.

    Put a diskette that you know is good and which has some files on it
    into the drive.

    Open Windows Explorer and try to access the contents of drive A:

    What happens?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Jan 19, 2004
  4. J & C Houghton wrote:

    > Comp. wont boot to A floppy...boot ok to c & cdrom.
    > Checked bios & boot sequence is correct..Using
    > Amd Athlon-PeCM 900 mhz, 30gb drive. Do I have
    > a bad floppydisk drive? TIA for advice

    Could be the controller or the cable or the unit itself....

    But, just to be dumb as a stump a sec, is a floppy really that important
    for you now?

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 19, 2004
  5. J & C Houghton

    Professor Guest

    Before you replace your floppy drive you could get a cleaning kit which
    consists of a disk and cleaner and try cleaning it. If it isn't too far
    gone that might work.

    Professor, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Thanks to all for your input..Looks like floppy drive
    card has died.
    John

    J & C Houghton, Jan 19, 2004
  7. J & C Houghton

    nemo Guest

    > Comp. wont boot to A floppy...boot ok to c & cdrom.
    > Checked bios & boot sequence is correct..Using
    > Amd Athlon-PeCM 900 mhz, 30gb drive. Do I have
    > a bad floppydisk drive? TIA for advice
    > John

    It's pretty rare that a floppy drive packs up like this, so if you do need a
    new one, rather than spend money, keep an eye open for PCs thrown out in the
    street.

    I replaced my floppy drive with one from an old PC thrown out at work. It's
    lasted longer than the original one so far. It's just a straight replace.
    The generic driver works for all makes.

    Nemo
    nemo, Jan 20, 2004