    computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?
    Cheers,
    John
    JJ, Oct 12, 2003

  2. JJ

    jfwilson Guest

    "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered the
    > computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?
    > Cheers,
    > John

    First try unplugging and re-connecting.
    jfwilson, Oct 12, 2003

  3. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    scribbled:

    >Hi
    >I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered the
    >computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    connecting properly.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Oct 12, 2003
  4. "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    > scribbled:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered

    the
    > >computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    > Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    > connecting properly.
    >
    > --
    > Phillip Weston
    > Taumarunui, New Zealand
    >
    > Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year old
    legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???
    lostforwords.org, Oct 12, 2003
  5. JJ

    EAgle Guest

    "lostforwords.org" <> wrote in message

    > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    > > scribbled:
    > >
    > > >Hi
    > > >I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered

    > the
    > > >computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    > > Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    > > connecting properly.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phillip Weston
    > > Taumarunui, New Zealand
    > >
    > > Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year

    old
    > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    If he wasn't using them then he wouldn't be getting an error now would he...
    EAgle, Oct 12, 2003
  6. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:48:27 +1300, "lostforwords.org"
    <> scribbled:

    >"Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    >> scribbled:
    >>
    >> >Hi
    >> >I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered

    >the
    >> >computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    >> Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    >> connecting properly.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Phillip Weston
    >> Taumarunui, New Zealand
    >>
    >> Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    >Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year old
    >legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    I do.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Oct 12, 2003
  7. JJ

    pete Guest

    > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    > > scribbled:
    > >
    > > >Hi
    > > >I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered

    > the
    > > >computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    > > Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    > > connecting properly.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Phillip Weston
    > > Taumarunui, New Zealand
    > >
    > > Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year

    old
    > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    They have their moments - sometimes burning a CD to transfer a few kilobytes
    of files between PCs is overkill.

    pete, Oct 12, 2003
  8. JJ

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <0q6ib.482$>,
    says...

    > "lostforwords.org" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > > message news:...
    > > > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    > > > scribbled:

    > > the
    > > >
    > > > Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    > > > connecting properly.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Phillip Weston
    > > > Taumarunui, New Zealand
    > > >
    > > > Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    > > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year

    > old
    > > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    > They have their moments - sometimes burning a CD to transfer a few kilobytes
    > of files between PCs is overkill.

    Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.
    Mainlander, Oct 12, 2003
  9. JJ

    pbs Guest

    lostforwords.org wrote:
    > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >
    >>On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:08:28 +1300, "JJ" <johnfitzATclear.net.nz>
    >>scribbled:
    >>

    >>>Hi
    >>>I get this message occasionally although I have not touched or altered

    > the
    >
    >>>computer for a long time could it mean the floppy is on the way out?

    >>Could also just mean that the cable to the floppy drive is not
    >>connecting properly.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Phillip Weston
    >>Taumarunui, New Zealand
    >>
    >>Remove the obvious spamblock to reply via e-mail.

    > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year old
    > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    When the 3.5 inch diskettes were released in SA, IBM (or what ever IBM
    was called during sanctions) ran an advert which showed a good looking
    woman holding one of the new 3.5 diskettes with the caption "I'd rather
    have a three and a half inch stiffy than a five and a quarter inch
    floppy" to this day in SA they are known as stiffies.
    pbs, Oct 12, 2003
  10. JJ

    pete Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <0q6ib.482$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "lostforwords.org" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    > > > message news:...

    altered
    > > > the

    out?

    > > > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on

    20-year
    > > old
    > > > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    > > They have their moments - sometimes burning a CD to transfer a few

    kilobytes
    > > of files between PCs is overkill.

    > Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    Thats true, but nearly every PC ever built had a floppy drive, whereas the
    USB memory cards have to be bought separately. When every PC comes with a
    supplied USB card, I'll ditch the floppy drives :)
    pete, Oct 12, 2003
  11. JJ

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:40:49 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

    >In article <0q6ib.482$>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> "lostforwords.org" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    >> > message news:...

    >> > the

    >> > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year

    >> old
    >> > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    >> They have their moments - sometimes burning a CD to transfer a few kilobytes
    >> of files between PCs is overkill.

    >Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    Except when working on a Win95 PC!
    Invisible, Oct 12, 2003
  12. JJ

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Invisible" wrote
    > >Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    > Except when working on a Win95 PC!

    How so... you can get DOS USB drivers... and they work fine in Win95a, so I
    assume 95b, and Win95c had USB support(although bad) and you may be able to
    use the dos drivers on that too.
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  13. JJ

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:36:17 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Invisible" wrote
    >> >Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    >> Except when working on a Win95 PC!

    >How so... you can get DOS USB drivers... and they work fine in Win95a, so I
    >assume 95b, and Win95c had USB support(although bad) and you may be able to
    >use the dos drivers on that too.

    90% of the old 95 bombs I've looked at don't even have a USB port! ;-)
    Invisible, Oct 12, 2003
  14. On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:48:27 +1300, lostforwords.org wrote:

    > Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year old
    > legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    Me, yesterday, after the CDrom in my laptop failed.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 12, 2003
  15. On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:31:09 +1300, Invisible wrote:

    > 90% of the old 95 bombs I've looked at don't even have a USB port! ;-)

    Look at the motherboard.

    There are a _lot_ of old bombs which have internal USB connectors and no
    external sockets.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Oct 12, 2003
  16. JJ

    pbs Guest

    Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:48:27 +1300, lostforwords.org wrote:
    >

    >>Or that you, like the rest of the PC industry, should give up on 20-year old
    >>legacy devices like floppy drives. who uses them now anyways???

    > Me, yesterday, after the CDrom in my laptop failed.

    Yer. For exactly that reason, I have a Bart's modular boot disk on a
    floppy so that I can boot a laptop onto LAN, so that I can reinstall
    Windows if necessary.
    pbs, Oct 12, 2003
  17. JJ

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Invisible" wrote
    > 90% of the old 95 bombs I've looked at don't even have a USB port! ;-)

    The OS is 8 years old, tell them to upgrade :)
    T.N.O., Oct 12, 2003
  18. JJ

    Richard Guest

    > >Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    > Except when working on a Win95 PC!

    The only work I would do on a PC of that era is the work required to carry
    it to the wheely bin.
    Richard, Oct 12, 2003
  19. JJ

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > "Invisible" wrote
    > > >Thats where one of those USB memory card plugins comes in handy.

    > > Except when working on a Win95 PC!

    > How so... you can get DOS USB drivers... and they work fine in Win95a, so I
    > assume 95b, and Win95c had USB support(although bad) and you may be able to
    > use the dos drivers on that too.

    But practically no peripheral device invented will support 95 on USB.
    Mainlander, Oct 13, 2003
  20. JJ

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 23:36:17 +1300, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Invisible" wrote

    > >> Except when working on a Win95 PC!

    > >How so... you can get DOS USB drivers... and they work fine in Win95a, so I
    > >assume 95b, and Win95c had USB support(although bad) and you may be able to
    > >use the dos drivers on that too.
    > >

    > 90% of the old 95 bombs I've looked at don't even have a USB port! ;-)

    Mine does, but no OS support.

    Some of the motherboards around that time (Intel TX chipset) required you
    to purchase a separate bracket with the USB sockets on it, as an optional
    extra.

    Today you have the situation with some new motherboard with the two on
    the case (ATX), plus a slot bracket with two or three more.
    Mainlander, Oct 13, 2003