    I have a ton of floppy discs created on my old Compac using windows 98.
    These discs will not open on my new windows xp. Is there any way to make
    them open?
    Fred Skyler, Sep 27, 2003

  2. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
    physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
    Do they still work on the 98 machine?

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:31:44 -0700, in
    <>
    Fred Skyler scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003

  3. Fred Skyler

    Me-GT Guest

    Tiresome "Mike"

    I'm tired of this lurker.
    What an abject cretin.
    Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
    who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    computing, PLEASE...

    Michael

    Me-GT, Sep 27, 2003
  4. Fred Skyler

    Chris Guest

    Ditch XP

    Chris, Sep 27, 2003
  5. Fred Skyler

    Meat-Plow Guest

    > How have they been stored, and for how long - IOW, are they
    > physically readable, still? What capacity were they formatted in?
    > Do they still work on the 98 machine?

    All he has to do is replace his CMOS battery and as if by magic, the discs
    will read. :)

    Meat-Plow, Sep 27, 2003
  6. Fred Skyler

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Me-GT said:

    > I'm tired of this lurker.
    > What an abject cretin.
    > Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
    > who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    > Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    > computing, PLEASE...
    >
    > Michael

    What?
    I think his questions were valid.

    Brian H¹©, Sep 27, 2003
  7. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Lurker? Cretin? I guess that sums *you* up pretty well.

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, in
    <bl4qhm$p1j$>
    Me-GT scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  8. Fred Skyler

    Patrick Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Me-GT wrote:
    > I'm tired of this lurker.
    > What an abject cretin.
    > Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
    > posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    > Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    > computing, PLEASE...

    I've not noticed your name before, but °Mike° is no 'lurker'.
    He is in fact, a fair part of 25% of the value of this group, (i'm the other
    75% :) )

    He, as far as I can see, is being hassled by people who are trying to make
    needless contention with him (being trolled). Thus it is that if you
    consider said, perhaps a little understanding for *him).
    PS not wishing you to misunderstand me, It is a shame that the situation
    arises.

    Patrick, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Fred Skyler

    Mike Calkins Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Don't know Mike, yet...

    1 Your old drive could be out of alignment. Can you read the media in
    another machine?

    2. If they are 5.25 inch , storage would indeed matter. 3.5 too for that
    matter...

    3. If everything is ok, no virus, storage OK... You could install the
    old Compaq (sp) drive in the new machine and try to read the media.......

    Just Thoughts

    Mike in Texas

    Mike Calkins, Sep 27, 2003
  10. Fred Skyler

    trout Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Me-GT wrote:

    > I'm tired of this lurker.
    > What an abject cretin.
    > Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
    > posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    > Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    > computing, PLEASE...
    >
    > Michael

    Yes, let's hope that the knowledgable person who helps hundreds of
    people toddles off, because *you're* too thick to understand what he's
    saying, and why. To someone else.
    After all, why ask those burdonsome questions in order to provide
    the *correct* answer, when he could just sit down and write-up a list of
    possibilities, based on all possible scenerios and guesswork?
    That way, thick-headed ignorant twits like you could pick the one
    that strikes their fancy, and it would magically correct all their
    difficulties; without having to apply the slightest amount of thought to
    their own problem, or even bother fully describing it.
    Are you a complete and utter moron; or are you participating in a
    contest for the most bizarrely misinformed, stupid, and ridiculous post?
    --
    "In which case, you have a strong contender."

    trout, Sep 27, 2003
  11. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:21:26 -0700, in
    <bl52h7$8028a$-berlin.de>
    trout scrawled:

    >Me-GT wrote:
    >
    >> I'm tired of this lurker.
    >> What an abject cretin.
    >> Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to
    >> posters, who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    >> Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    >> computing, PLEASE...
    >>
    >> Michael

    > Yes, let's hope that the knowledgable person who helps hundreds of
    >people toddles off, because *you're* too thick to understand what he's
    >saying, and why. To someone else.
    > After all, why ask those burdonsome questions in order to provide
    >the *correct* answer, when he could just sit down and write-up a list of
    >possibilities, based on all possible scenerios and guesswork?
    > That way, thick-headed ignorant twits like you could pick the one
    >that strikes their fancy, and it would magically correct all their
    >difficulties; without having to apply the slightest amount of thought to
    >their own problem, or even bother fully describing it.
    > Are you a complete and utter moron; or are you participating in a
    >contest for the most bizarrely misinformed, stupid, and ridiculous post?

    I guess I must have a hidden "kick me" sign hidden about
    my (virtual) person, today.

    --
    "Weekend posters can be irritating, kind of like tourists can."
    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Fred Skyler

    Mara Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, Me-GT wrote:

    >I'm tired of this lurker.
    >What an abject cretin.
    >Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
    >who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    >Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    >computing, PLEASE...

    PLEASE, shut the **** up.

    "Why don't you just put a neon sign on your forehead that flashes "I'm STOOPID"
    instead? It will have the same effect as your whine."

    --
    If it adjusts their attitude towards the desired goal, then it's a LART,
    even if it doesn't leave blood stains." -- Paul Tomblin
    Mara, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    17:57:51 -0500, Mara uttered this:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, Me-GT wrote:
    >
    >>I'm tired of this lurker.
    >>What an abject cretin.
    >>Always asking cretinous questions instead of being sympathetic to posters,
    >>who patently don't know what level to aim the question at...
    >>Go take the piss out of your family instead of targeting us new to
    >>computing, PLEASE...

    > PLEASE, shut the **** up.
    >
    > "Why don't you just put a neon sign on your forehead that flashes "I'm STOOPID"
    > instead? It will have the same effect as your whine."

    Probably because, he too st00pid to know he's st00pid?

    --
    "I can almost hear the
    shutters going up on him"
    William Poaster, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    21:25:25 +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    > Lurker? Cretin? I guess that sums *you* up pretty well.

    <quote>
    >I'm tired of this lurker.
    >What an abject cretin.

    <quote>

    That sums him up *very* well, I'd say...

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, in
    > <bl4qhm$p1j$>
    > Me-GT scrawled:

    <nothing to see>
    William Poaster, Sep 28, 2003
  15. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:25:09 +0100, in
    <>
    William Poaster scrawled:

    >This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    >21:25:25 +0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >
    >> Lurker? Cretin? I guess that sums *you* up pretty well.

    ><quote>
    >>I'm tired of this lurker.
    >>What an abject cretin.

    ><quote>
    >
    >That sums him up *very* well, I'd say...

    I particularly liked the "lurker" reference. Choice! :)

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003
  16. Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    Mara Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <>:
    > PLEASE, shut the **** up.
    >
    > "Why don't you just put a neon sign on your forehead that flashes
    > "I'm STOOPID" instead? It will have the same effect as your whine."

    Actually, that tile's been taken. However, I put forth the motion
    to assign the new title of "I'm a friggin shit-stirring,
    bottom-feeding sack of snail snot" to that particular poster...

    All in favor?

    --
    "Aye"
    Thund3rstruck, Sep 28, 2003
  17. Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    °Mike° Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    in <>:
    > I guess I must have a hidden "kick me" sign hidden about
    > my (virtual) person, today.

    They don't like your advice? IMO, they're more than welcome to
    muddle around on their own...**** em.

    NOI

    --
    "Carry on"
    Thund3rstruck, Sep 28, 2003
  18. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:18:04 -0400, in
    <3f764400$0$13094$>
    Thund3rstruck scrawled:

    >°Mike° Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed
    >in <>:
    >> I guess I must have a hidden "kick me" sign hidden about
    >> my (virtual) person, today.
    >>

    > They don't like your advice? IMO, they're more than welcome to
    >muddle around on their own...**** em.
    >
    > NOI

    What is striking, is that those who attempt to bad mouth others, more
    often than not, never offer alternative advice of their own. Quite
    telling, don't you think?

    --
    "Just one classic sign of a troll."
    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003
  19. Fred Skyler

    Sir_Grizzly Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:25:09 +0100, in
    > <>
    > William Poaster scrawled:
    >
    >> This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    >> 21:25:25 +0100, °Mike° uttered this:
    >>
    >>> Lurker? Cretin? I guess that sums *you* up pretty well.

    >> <quote>
    >>> I'm tired of this lurker.
    >>> What an abject cretin.

    >> <quote>
    >>
    >> That sums him up *very* well, I'd say...

    > I particularly liked the "lurker" reference. Choice! :)
    >
    >>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:06:32 +0100, in
    >>> <bl4qhm$p1j$>
    >>> Me-GT scrawled:

    >> <nothing to see>

    Dammit Mike, I told you to lurk in SECRET, but no, you just had to post
    helpful stuff while you lurked....

    --
    "Chaos, panic and disorder ... my work here
    is done."
    Sir_Grizzly, Sep 28, 2003
  20. Fred Skyler

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Tiresome "Mike"

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 02:33:05 GMT, in
    <BLrdb.3959$>
    "Sir_Grizzly" <Sir > scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:25:09 +0100, in
    >> <>
    >> William Poaster scrawled:
    >>
    >>> This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    >>> 21:25:25 +0100, °Mike° uttered this:

    >>> <quote>
    >>> <quote>
    >>>
    >>> That sums him up *very* well, I'd say...

    >> I particularly liked the "lurker" reference. Choice! :)

    <snip>

    >Dammit Mike, I told you to lurk in SECRET, but no, you just had to post
    >helpful stuff while you lurked....

    You mean all this time, I actually WAS pressing "Send"?

    --
    "OMFG!"
    °Mike°, Sep 28, 2003