    component" - which happened to be a floppy drive cable. My question is why
    send a floppy drive cable when this OS can't be installed the traditional way
    by installing through DOS?
    =?Utf-8?B?U3ludGVrOTk=?=, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Because you had to have some sort of qualifying hardware, and floppy cables
    are cheap and becoming surplus to requirements.

    But the real reason is, because you almost always need to press F6 and load
    drivers from your floppy when you install x64 Edition. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 4, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3ludGVrOTk=?=

    Rick Guest

    If your system has SATA drives you will probably have to load the
    appropriate drivers via a floppy drive during setup.

    Rick, Dec 4, 2005
  4. To comply with a requirement for selling an OEM edition of Windows (and I am
    not so sure this does). OEM Windows are supposed to sold preinstalled on a
    new computer or with hardware on which it could be installed. Forget the
    included cable. The cable is meaningless and does not even have to work.
    It is irrelevant. It could just as well have been a computer memory module
    that failed testing and not even designed for your computer. The included
    hardware simply does not matter. It's all a legal dance.

    XP is not installed through DOS anyway. You might be calling the command
    line interface "dos" but it isn't.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  5. On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:26:40 -0000, Charlie Russel - MVP
    <> wrote:

    > Because you had to have some sort of qualifying hardware, and floppy
    > cables
    > are cheap and becoming surplus to requirements.
    >
    > But the real reason is, because you almost always need to press F6 and
    > load
    > drivers from your floppy when you install x64 Edition. :)

    It's a pretty laughable situation, where companies send out any old crap
    in the basement with OEM software, just to comply with Microsoft's self
    imposed rules. When are they going to get rid of this crazy requirement?

    Perhaps they should introduce a requirement, that the person packing the
    OEM software should do a little Irish jig, walk around the box 3 times
    clockwise, then 7 times anti-clockwise, before finally sprinkling some
    special Redmond pixie dust over the software before boxing it up. That
    would make just as much sense...
    Mark Gillespie, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Consider it a blessing, some people only get a mouse and end up have to buy
    the floppy drive separately just to get SATA/RAID drivers loaded.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa, Dec 4, 2005
  7. My last copy of XP Pro came with a network card. I thought that was pretty
    cute, until the onboard LAN on my new build apparently failed and I needed a
    card (with drivers... not a no name pulled out of a discard bin). It saved
    me a hassle... until I finally realized that the onboard LAN hadn't failed;
    I'd been bumped off by the original owner of the IP. Anyways, any old piece
    'o hardware can eventually come in handy...

    Dennis Gordon, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Thanks guys - very informative

    =?Utf-8?B?U3ludGVrOTk=?=, Dec 5, 2005