    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Nov 16, 2011

  2. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > The last three HDDs I bought:
    >
    > May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    > Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >
    > But the big mover:
    >
    > Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >
    > I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12 months.
    :mad:

    Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally. ;-)

    Yes, if a factory has been flooded out, then how long does it take to get up
    to full production again?

    We also have the problem of buying high and needing to sell high. Think
    petrol prices.

    This is a case of where supply and demand is actually working according to
    theory. Just like memory prices have for years.

    SSD's get (more) competitive, which might mean the end to all HD factories
    going back to HD. Once again, think RAM. The previous version became more
    expensive than the new version, as more factories went to the new version.

    Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-
    Gordon, Nov 17, 2011

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> The last three HDDs I bought:
    >>
    >> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    >> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >>
    >> But the big mover:
    >>
    >> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >>
    >> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
    >> months. :(

    > Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally. ;-)

    I know that but I have no hard evidence of specific prices for "the world"
    like I do for NZ. ;-)

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...ard_Drive_Supply_to_Persist_Through_2012.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...o_Up_Due_to_Insufficient_HDD_Supply_Dell.html

    > Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-

    Heh! Yeah, I bought the drives that I knew I needed soon [next few months]
    and could justify putting (some of the funds) on credit when I realised that
    prices were going to go up. I just didn't realise *how much* they were going
    up or I'd have bought a few more as investments. Especially that 1GB Seagate
    I bought as a boot drive for my 'server', from $86 to $213? Crazy!

    The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166. <shakes
    head>

    ~misfit~, Nov 18, 2011
  4. ~misfit~

    Seagull Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote in message news:ja57e9$dla$...

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> The last three HDDs I bought:
    >>
    >> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    >> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >>
    >> But the big mover:
    >>
    >> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >>
    >> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
    >> months. :(

    > Your headline is wrong misfit. HD prices have increased globally. ;-)

    I know that but I have no hard evidence of specific prices for "the world"
    like I do for NZ. ;-)

    > Yes, if a factory has been flooded out, then how long does it take to
    > get up to full production again?

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...ard_Drive_Supply_to_Persist_Through_2012.html

    > We also have the problem of buying high and needing to sell high.
    > Think petrol prices.
    >
    > This is a case of where supply and demand is actually working
    > according to theory. Just like memory prices have for years.
    >
    > SSD's get (more) competitive, which might mean the end to all HD
    > factories going back to HD. Once again, think RAM. The previous
    > version became more expensive than the new version, as more factories
    > went to the new version.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storag...o_Up_Due_to_Insufficient_HDD_Supply_Dell.html

    > Market forces, Bugger, I did not buy a heap six months ago.;-

    Heh! Yeah, I bought the drives that I knew I needed soon [next few months]
    and could justify putting (some of the funds) on credit when I realised that
    prices were going to go up. I just didn't realise *how much* they were going
    up or I'd have bought a few more as investments. Especially that 1GB Seagate
    I bought as a boot drive for my 'server', from $86 to $213? Crazy!

    The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166. <shakes
    head>
    --
    Shaun.
    Hah Shaun! I thought you should know the you have got me into some trouble.
    (;-)

    I have several compact, medium spec Desktop PCs sitting around here I am
    supposed to be setting up as HTPCs and a couple of them lack storage
    drives.
    I had put them aside in the hopes of HDDs getting cheaper. I had not looked
    at prices for a couple of months, so your original post pressed my panic
    button.

    I took a quick look via price spy and decided that cannibalising an external
    1 TB Seagate Expansion drive from Tricky Dicky for $97 was the only bargain
    price drive still available.
    I looked again the next morning and the price had gone up to $134! Anyways
    I fronted up at the local store and they sold me one at yesterdays price.

    It only when I had started to try and crack the case that I thought to check
    reviews etc, and I found several references to problems with these drives
    failing.
    There is one thread that has 400 odd posts most confirming a deadly "Click
    of Death". My original thought was in case of trouble just return the drive
    to its external case and make
    a warranty claim but the stupidly designed case has 8 little clips that
    break off no matter how carefully the case is opened. So a warranty claim
    will now be difficult I am guessing.

    The saving grace (I hope) is that it seems it is either the power supply or
    the USB connection that causes the problems and the drive performs OK if
    installed in a desktop, so here's hoping?
    Seagull, Nov 20, 2011
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Seagull wrote:
    > "~misfit~" wrote in message news:ja57e9$dla$...

    [snip]
    > The last 80GB IDE laptop drive I bought was $78. Now they're $166.
    > <shakes head>

    <quote Seagull>
[...]

    </quote>

    Bugger! Yeah, well, let's hope that you're right and it *is* the PSU or
    USB - SATA bridge that causes the issues - it likely is I'd say. Good Luck.

    Incidently, I sold an old 80GB Seagate 7200.10 SATA drive yesterday for $80.
    I probably could have got more but it was a mate, setting up a PC for his
    folks using his old gear (he upgraded mobo/CPU/RAM/graphics a couple months
    ago) and he had no idea of what was going on with HDD prices. He needed a
    SATA drive and had intended to just throw a sub-$100 1TB drive in, like I
    bought last month. However when he looked at prices he got a hell of shock.

    He came around here after he'd been to the local Dick Smith store. They no
    longer show internal HDDs on their web site but some stores have old stock
    and, as it was a weekend, here in Pukekohe it was the only local option. All
    they had was a 40GB SATA internal HDD and they wanted $240 for it! That's
    when he came around here and asked if I had a spare drive he could buy to
    finish the project.

    To be honest I didn't want to part with that drive. Like you I could have
    used it to throw into a second-hand desktop to make a saleable machine.
    However he was desperate and I said "make me an offer" and he said $80 so I
    took it. <shrug> Unfortunately I'm not in a position to be any more generous
    than that (not haggling over the price).

    I see that the Trademe community didn't take long to hike the prices up too.
    If you were sitting on a stack of decent second-hand HDDs you could make a
    few bucks. In fact, in a P4 or early dual-core machine the HDD's probably
    worth more than the whole machine right now. Crazy!

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2011
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2011
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The things you see when you don't have any money available to invest. :(

    http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/hard-drives/sata/auction-425229409.htm

    $25 per 250GB enterprise-class near-new HDD. Nice little single-disc fast
    HDDs. The way things are going there's a nice wee profit to be made by
    someone there, split them up and sell them singly.

    Time for bed...

    ~misfit~, Nov 20, 2011
  8. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > The last three HDDs I bought:
    >
    > May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    > Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >
    > But the big mover:
    >
    > Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >
    > I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
    > months. :(

    External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact they've
    been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about $89-$99 when
    the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of those and rip the
    drive out if the case. :)
    Your Name, Nov 20, 2011
  9. On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, (Your Name)
    wrote:

    >On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> The last three HDDs I bought:
    >>
    >> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    >> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >>
    >> But the big mover:
    >>
    >> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >>
    >> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
    >> months. :(

    >External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact they've
    >been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about $89-$99 when
    >the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of those and rip the
    >drive out if the case. :)

    So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high prices.

    Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I don't
    think so.

    Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the flow
    on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
    Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
    gullible and they know it..
    Frank Williams, Nov 20, 2011
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 21/11/2011 10:46 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:

    >>> External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact
    >>> they've been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about
    >>> $89-$99 when the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of
    >>> those and rip the drive out if the case. :)

    >> So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high
    >> prices. Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I
    >> don't
    >> think so.
    >>
    >> Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the
    >> flow on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
    >> Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
    >> gullible and they know it..

    > You're full of it as usual Woger. A quick google shows NZ as on a par
    > with Aus and the UK for HDDs. Now how about a nice apology you
    > whinging old prick?

    Yup, that's why the silly old twat is in my killfile. One of the first signs
    of increased HDD prices that caught my eye was folks in the US complaining
    of places like Newegg doubling their prices long before new stock could
    actually get to them (as in they were increasing the price of pre-bought
    HDDs in anticipation, within two days of the floods hitting). *That's* when
    I started checking NZ prices and bought a couple drives. We were actually
    quite a bit slower at feeling the price hike here.

    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2011
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Your Name wrote:
    > On 2011-11-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> The last three HDDs I bought:
    >>
    >> May '11 WD Scorpio Black 320GB $96 Now $179
    >> Oct '11 WD Scorpio Blue IDE 160GB $110 Now $184
    >>
    >> But the big mover:
    >>
    >> Oct '11 Seagate 7200.12 1TB $86 Now $213
    >>
    >> I hear rumblings that it's not going to get much better for maybe 12
    >> months. :(

    > External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact
    > they've been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about
    > $89-$99 when the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of
    > those and rip the drive out if the case. :)

    The worry about doing that is the HDD firmware. Often it's significantly
    different in external drives, they're a lot slower (as USB is a lot slower
    than SATA is capable of being and they're designed for USB operation) and
    the firmware puts them to sleep a lot.

    The days of HDD companies just sticking a standard internal HDD into a case
    and selling it are long gone. Seagate got bitten quite badly with drives
    overheating when they did that so, for the last couple years, external HDDs
    have had firmware more suited to controlling a rarely-accessed and slow HDD
    that has to run cool.

    Heck, even internal HDDs that are designed as 'data drives' like WD 2TB+
    'green' drives can give trouble. My desktop has four hot-swap SATA bays and
    it's primary use is for data management, moving data from HDDs that usually
    sit in USB cradles attached to laptops into tidier groupings. When copying
    from and to a WD 'green' drive often XP gives an error after 10 minutes of
    file copying, saying that data may have been lost as X drive isn't
    responding.

    Consequently I've learned *not* to cut'n'paste, rather to copy'n'paste, then
    delete the original. Also I've learned to make sure that one of the drives
    involved isn't a WD green drive, even if it means copying to a Seagate drive
    as an intermediate step, then to the desired target drive from the Seagate
    if both source and target are WD green drives (WD20EARS).

    (Operating system is 32-bit XP, WD drives are AF but have been partitioned
    using WD's 'Align' tool. Drives and controller are running in AHCI mode. I
    run a HDD monitoring app (Hard Disk Sentinel) and have it set to poll the
    drives every minute in an effort to keep them 'awake', with no luck.)

    I bought a couple of 2TB WD AF green drives when they were quite cheap but
    they've been more trouble than the savings was worth, at least on XP
    (However I suspect the firmware's habit of going to sleep mid-copy on big
    copys might be an issue with newer, AF-aware OSes too.). I had decided that,
    if I need more storage drives, I'll use Seagate (who's big drives are AF
    internally but, thanks to the drive controller, appear to the OS as having
    512 Byte sectors). Also, Seagate have (or had, just before the floods)
    announced that they weren't going to make 'green' variable speed 'data'
    drives anymore (à la WD). Instead they were just going to stick to 7,200 rpm
    'normal' drives across their whole, single range of consumer desktop HDDs.

    As usual, a tangential post. <g>

    ~misfit~, Nov 21, 2011
  12. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:57:02 +1300
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > I bought a couple of 2TB WD AF green drives when they were quite
    > cheap but they've been more trouble than the savings was worth, at
    > least on XP (However I suspect the firmware's habit of going to sleep
    > mid-copy on big copys might be an issue with newer, AF-aware OSes
    > too.). I had decided that, if I need more storage drives, I'll use
    > Seagate (who's big drives are AF internally but, thanks to the drive
    > controller, appear to the OS as having 512 Byte sectors). Also,
    > Seagate have (or had, just before the floods) announced that they
    > weren't going to make 'green' variable speed 'data' drives anymore (à
    > la WD). Instead they were just going to stick to 7,200 rpm 'normal'
    > drives across their whole, single range of consumer desktop HDDs.
    >
    > As usual, a tangential post. <g>

    Hey ;)
    I thought you can turn the sleep option off, maybe in the registry I
    know there are some hdparms that can be passed in linux....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
    Malcolm, Nov 21, 2011
  13. On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 23:19:48 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 21/11/2011 10:46 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:

    >> So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high prices.
    >>
    >> Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I don't
    >> think so.
    >>
    >> Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the flow
    >> on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
    >> Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
    >> gullible and they know it..

    >You're full of it as usual Woger. A quick google shows NZ as on a par
    >with Aus and the UK for HDDs. Now how about a nice apology you whinging
    >old prick?

    Its a well known fact we pay rip off prices for all electronic/computer
    stuff and with reduced warranties

    Whether you like it or not, so take your head out of the sand and try
    and smell the roses..

    >Now how about a nice apology you whinging
    >old prick?

    Yes after you apologies of the 100 times you have insulted me
    Frank Williams, Nov 22, 2011
  14. ~misfit~

    Seagull Guest

    Interesting to see that PB tech are limiting HDD sales to 2 per customer.

    "~misfit~" wrote in message news:jaej1h$eph$...

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 21/11/2011 10:46 a.m., Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 09:01:35 +1300, (Your Name)
    >> wrote:

    >>> External drives seem to be the same price at the moment, in fact
    >>> they've been going down. You can get a 1TB external drive for about
    >>> $89-$99 when the same model used to be about $120. Just buy one of
    >>> those and rip the drive out if the case. :)

    >> So well known for NZ as its a country for market rip offs high
    >> prices. Check overseas prices and see if they have gone up the same, I
    >> don't
    >> think so.
    >>
    >> Margins are very high here and some times reduced warranties, the
    >> flow on affect would not have reached here due to our low volumes, so
    >> Importers can make any accuse to raise there margins, Kiwis are so
    >> gullible and they know it..

    > You're full of it as usual Woger. A quick google shows NZ as on a par
    > with Aus and the UK for HDDs. Now how about a nice apology you
    > whinging old prick?

    Yup, that's why the silly old twat is in my killfile. One of the first signs
    of increased HDD prices that caught my eye was folks in the US complaining
    of places like Newegg doubling their prices long before new stock could
    actually get to them (as in they were increasing the price of pre-bought
    HDDs in anticipation, within two days of the floods hitting). *That's* when
    I started checking NZ prices and bought a couple drives. We were actually
    quite a bit slower at feeling the price hike here.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    Seems that the shortage is real as I see that PB Tech are limiting HDD sales
    to 2 per customer.
    Seagull, Nov 22, 2011
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#Advanced_Format_512e

    >> Also,
    >> Seagate have (or had, just before the floods) announced that they
    >> weren't going to make 'green' variable speed 'data' drives anymore (à
    >> la WD). Instead they were just going to stick to 7,200 rpm 'normal'
    >> drives across their whole, single range of consumer desktop HDDs.
    >>
    >> As usual, a tangential post. <g>

    > Hey ;)
    > I thought you can turn the sleep option off, maybe in the registry I
    > know there are some hdparms that can be passed in linux....

    Thanks Malcolm. Now, off to Google.... I had a cursory look when it first
    plagued me but found nothing. Now I know it's possible I'll persevere.

    Hope you're well. :)

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2011
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Seagull wrote:
    > Seems that the shortage is real as I see that PB Tech are limiting HDD
    > sales to 2 per customer.

    Oh, it's real alright. The CEO of Seagate gave an address last weekend
    saying that he expects it will be at least 12 months until things are
    approaching 'normal' with HDD manufacture.

    Semms PB Tech are trying to stop people from investing to make money. As I
    speculated (and obviously they think too) it's only going to get worse as
    big manufacturers like Dell, HP et al try to tie up their supply, leaving
    little available for the home builder / upgrader. (Seagate CEO said HP(?)
    offered them $250M cash up front to ensure HDD supply last week.)

    ~misfit~, Nov 22, 2011
  17. On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:13:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:57:02 +1300
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> <snip>
    >>> I bought a couple of 2TB WD AF green drives when they were quite
    >>> cheap but they've been more trouble than the savings was worth, at
    >>> least on XP (However I suspect the firmware's habit of going to sleep
    >>> mid-copy on big copys might be an issue with newer, AF-aware OSes
    >>> too.). I had decided that, if I need more storage drives, I'll use
    >>> Seagate (who's big drives are AF internally but, thanks to the drive
    >>> controller, appear to the OS as having 512 Byte sectors).

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#Advanced_Format_512e
    >
    >>> Also,
    >>> Seagate have (or had, just before the floods) announced that they
    >>> weren't going to make 'green' variable speed 'data' drives anymore (à
    >>> la WD). Instead they were just going to stick to 7,200 rpm 'normal'
    >>> drives across their whole, single range of consumer desktop HDDs.
    >>>
    >>> As usual, a tangential post. <g>

    >> Hey ;)
    >> I thought you can turn the sleep option off, maybe in the registry I
    >> know there are some hdparms that can be passed in linux....

    >Thanks Malcolm. Now, off to Google.... I had a cursory look when it first
    >plagued me but found nothing. Now I know it's possible I'll persevere.
    >
    >Hope you're well. :)

    It may be that the tool you need is wdidle3_1_05.zip from the WD web
    site. I had to use that to make one of my drives stop loading and
    unloading all the time - it did it more than 290,000 times and was
    wearing itself out!

    I found that the disable option did not work, so I just set the drive
    to the largest possible timeout and that has fixed my problem.
    Stephen Worthington, Nov 23, 2011
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 12:13:54 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:57:02 +1300
    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >>> <snip>

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#Advanced_Format_512e

    >>> Hey ;)
    >>> I thought you can turn the sleep option off, maybe in the registry I
    >>> know there are some hdparms that can be passed in linux....

    >> Thanks Malcolm. Now, off to Google.... I had a cursory look when it
    >> first plagued me but found nothing. Now I know it's possible I'll
    >> persevere.
    >>
    >> Hope you're well. :)

    > It may be that the tool you need is wdidle3_1_05.zip from the WD web
    > site. I had to use that to make one of my drives stop loading and
    > unloading all the time - it did it more than 290,000 times and was
    > wearing itself out!

    Yup, as WD only rate them for 1,000,000 load cycles it's a worry when they
    can do that many in only three months run-time.

    > I found that the disable option did not work, so I just set the drive
    > to the largest possible timeout and that has fixed my problem.

    Thank you Stephen, that's exactly what my Googling lead me to yesterday /
    last night. Both of my 2TB WD 'EARS' drives had an idle time of 8 seconds
    set, which I changed to 300 seconds, the highest setting wdidle3.exe
    supports. Hopefully it'll help but I read of a lot of folks who're still
    having problems with their drives 'dropping out' despite changing that
    setting.

    This page is the one that helped the most:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topi...ime-in-seconds-for-hard-drives-to-park-heads/

    (Post #9 by 'superstar'.)

    On another forum I read one guy seems to be having the same issue that's
    plaguing me... Now I can't find it again. I'm not sure how he described it
    but it sounded all technical. <g> Simply put, even after changing the idle
    timer, from time-to-time the drive takes too long to respond to I/O calls
    and drops out, which is what I have happen ~10 minutes or more into copying
    a bunch of data. (Well, they're big drives, WD should expect that they're
    going to be used for long copy operations.)

    The guy who saw the same problem as me was trying to use them with Myth TV
    but gave up in the end. I hope that I can keep using mine as I can't afford
    to replace them, especially with the current situation. I *knew* I should
    have stuck with Seagate! I'd been using them almost exclusively for ~8 years
    and had absolutely no reason to complain. However at the time I bought them
    I couldn't find 2TB Seagate drives locally and the 1.5TB drives were more
    expensive than the WD 2TB drives.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2011
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Stephen Worthington wrote:

    [snip]
    >> It may be that the tool you need is wdidle3_1_05.zip from the WD web
    >> site. I had to use that to make one of my drives stop loading and
    >> unloading all the time - it did it more than 290,000 times and was
    >> wearing itself out!

    > Yup, as WD only rate them for 1,000,000 load cycles it's a worry when
    > they can do that many in only three months run-time.
    >
    >> I found that the disable option did not work, so I just set the drive
    >> to the largest possible timeout and that has fixed my problem.

    > Thank you Stephen, that's exactly what my Googling lead me to
    > yesterday / last night. Both of my 2TB WD 'EARS' drives had an idle
    > time of 8 seconds set, which I changed to 300 seconds, the highest
    > setting wdidle3.exe supports. Hopefully it'll help but I read of a
    > lot of folks who're still having problems with their drives 'dropping
    > out' despite changing that setting.
    >
    > This page is the one that helped the most:
    > http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topi...ime-in-seconds-for-hard-drives-to-park-heads/
    >
    > (Post #9 by 'superstar'.)

    Just thought I'd sat that 'superstar's post didn't mention anything about
    ACHI but in other fora I've seen people say that your BIOS has to be set to
    IDE mode for wdidle3 to work. However I changed the settings on my drives
    with the BIOS set to ACHI and it seems to have 'taken' just fine. When I
    query them after applying the change they report idle time set to 300
    seconds where previously they said 8 seconds so it seems to work in ACHI
    mode just fine.

    ~misfit~, Nov 23, 2011
  20. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-11-23, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > The guy who saw the same problem as me was trying to use them with Myth TV
    > but gave up in the end.

    I am using an 2TB WD EARS HD as a Mythdora 10.21 HD. No problem at all.
    Several months of use.

    Since MythTV records everything you view, I would have thought 8 seconds
    "shut down" would be just fine.

    > I hope that I can keep using mine as I can't afford
    > to replace them, especially with the current situation. I *knew* I should
    > have stuck with Seagate!

    They had a problem or two about data going west which allowed WD to take the
    "default" option here in NZ.

    > I'd been using them almost exclusively for ~8 years
    > and had absolutely no reason to complain. However at the time I bought them
    > I couldn't find 2TB Seagate drives locally and the 1.5TB drives were more
    > expensive than the WD 2TB drives.

    Now they both look cheap.

    Living in NZ, we really do have a problem with the idea that it will take
    six weeks for the flood levels to go in Thailand. Six weeks. On the West
    Coast six hours can have a river up to flooding, and back to normal in more
    like six hours.

    I read to-day the 45% of HD production is in Thailand. Eggs and baskets
    comes to mind
    Gordon, Nov 25, 2011