Floating Virtual IP

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GNY, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. GNY

    GNY Guest

    Hello,

    Does anyone know if this setup is possible and if so, which router or
    device can do this.

    Virtual floating IP.

    Site A: Server 1
    Site B: Server 2

    1 IP pointing to A site.

    Scenario: If site A's server doesnt answer send the traffic to site B
    and the router there will forward it to the site B server.

    There is a VPN tunnel connecting sites A & B.

    The server on site A and B are exactly the same. So if for some reason
    site A server fails the router should send the traffic then to site B.

    Yes I know there are redundancy applications that can do this and
    thats what they are for, but is this possible from a router
    perspective?

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but would the return traffic here be the
    issue? COnsidering that traffic would come from a different IP all
    together or is this where PAT comes in?

    Hope i clearly explained what I'm trying to do here; any
    recommendations are appreciated.

    GNY

    GNY, Jul 14, 2007

  2. GNY

    James Guest

    Hi,

    In the Cisco world you would use a Content Services Switch (CSS 11000
    series) or IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB) for this however both of
    these solutions are expensive. CSS's start at around $11,000 and SLB
    is only supported on the 3640 & 3660 (both end of life), highend
    router platforms (7100, 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7600) and the 6000 / 6500
    switches.

    There are many other maufacturer's who offer similar devices and may
    be a cheaper alternative such as Radware, Alteon (Nortel), F5 and
    Foundry.

    Jmes

    James, Jul 16, 2007

  3. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jul 15, 10:48 pm, James <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the Cisco world you would use a Content Services Switch (CSS 11000
    > series) or IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB) for this however both of
    > these solutions are expensive. CSS's start at around $11,000 and SLB
    > is only supported on the 3640 & 3660 (both end of life), highend
    > router platforms (7100, 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7600) and the 6000 / 6500
    > switches.
    >
    > There are many other maufacturer's who offer similar devices and may
    > be a cheaper alternative such as Radware, Alteon (Nortel), F5 and
    > Foundry.
    >
    > Jmes

    James.. Thanks for the reply.. So such a setup is not possible out the
    box with any device.

    What about multi-homed BGP? There a possiblity with that?

    Thanks!

    GNY

    GNY, Jul 16, 2007
  4. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jul 16, 6:40 am, GNY <> wrote:
    > On Jul 15, 10:48 pm, James <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > In the Cisco world you would use a Content Services Switch (CSS 11000
    > > series) or IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB) for this however both of
    > > these solutions are expensive. CSS's start at around $11,000 and SLB
    > > is only supported on the 3640 & 3660 (both end of life), highend
    > > router platforms (7100, 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7600) and the 6000 / 6500
    > > switches.

    > > There are many other maufacturer's who offer similar devices and may
    > > be a cheaper alternative such as Radware, Alteon (Nortel), F5 and
    > > Foundry.

    > > Jmes

    > James.. Thanks for the reply.. So such a setup is not possible out the
    > box with any device.
    >
    > What about multi-homed BGP? There a possiblity with that?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > GNY

    Sorry I meant.. with any device except for those you mentioned.

    What exactly would this setup be called?

    GNY

    GNY, Jul 16, 2007
  5. GNY

    James Guest

    On 16 Jul, 20:01, GNY <> wrote:
    > On Jul 16, 6:40 am, GNY <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 15, 10:48 pm, James <> wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > In the Cisco world you would use a Content Services Switch (CSS 11000
    > > > series) or IOS Server Load Balancing (SLB) for this however both of
    > > > these solutions are expensive. CSS's start at around $11,000 and SLB
    > > > is only supported on the 3640 & 3660 (both end of life), highend
    > > > router platforms (7100, 7200, 7300, 7400 & 7600) and the 6000 / 6500
    > > > switches.

    > > > There are many other maufacturer's who offer similar devices and may
    > > > be a cheaper alternative such as Radware, Alteon (Nortel), F5 and
    > > > Foundry.

    > > > Jmes

    > > James.. Thanks for the reply.. So such a setup is not possible out the
    > > box with any device.

    > > What about multi-homed BGP? There a possiblity with that?

    > > Thanks!

    > > GNY

    > Sorry I meant.. with any device except for those you mentioned.
    >
    > What exactly would this setup be called?
    >
    > GNY- Hide quoted text -

    Maybe you could do something clever with a routing protocol - BGP,
    OSPF or RIP software running on the server might be able to provide
    this funtionallity but I have never heard of anyone doing this.

    This funtionality is available in any Server Load Balancing appliance
    or software, so I would call it Server Load Balancing :)

    There is probably an Open Source / Linux solution out there that would
    work?

    James

    James, Jul 17, 2007
  6. GNY

    GNY Guest

    On Jul 16, 10:53 pm, James <> wrote:
    > On 16 Jul, 20:01, GNY <> wrote:

    > > > James.. Thanks for the reply.. So such a setup is not possible out the
    > > > box with any device.

    > > > What about multi-homed BGP? There a possiblity with that?

    > > > Thanks!

    > > > GNY

    > > Sorry I meant.. with any device except for those you mentioned.

    > > What exactly would this setup be called?

    > > GNY- Hide quoted text -

    > Maybe you could do something clever with a routing protocol - BGP,
    > OSPF or RIP software running on the server might be able to provide
    > this funtionallity but I have never heard of anyone doing this.
    >
    > This funtionality is available in any Server Load Balancing appliance
    > or software, so I would call it Server Load Balancing :)
    >
    > There is probably an Open Source / Linux solution out there that would
    > work?
    >
    > James

    Thanks James. I'll look into it.

    GNY