    could extract themselves from the cockpit.

    http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

    Did you make the event Savageduck?

    me, Aug 22, 2013

  2. me

    me Guest

    On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:47:15 -0700, wtrplnet <> wrote:

    >On 8/21/2013 6:17 PM, me wrote:
    >> I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
    >> F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
    >> this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
    >> race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
    >> other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
    >> could extract themselves from the cockpit.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/
    >>
    >> Did you make the event Savageduck?

    >Nice sequence. I was there Sunday but left before the F1 event. I
    >listened in on a driver's meeting earlier in the week where the steward
    >made clear that this is a "gentleman's event" and that aggressive
    >driving would be frowned upon. Looks like someone didn't get the word.
    >Of course, with old cars like this mechanical problems are always
    >likely, such as a stuck throttle, which may be what happened here.

    I believe back when I last attended in '05 (or maybe an earlier event)
    there was enough of a collision in the Can-Am race for the instigator
    to draw a penalty. IIRC, it happened diving into turn 5 before going
    up the hill. The recipient had fairly good damage to the left front if
    memory serves.

    In this case the word was one ran over the others wheel. Not a good
    scenario entering the corkscrew as the photos detail. I didn't hear
    who might have been at fault.

    me, Aug 22, 2013

  3. me

    me Guest

    On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:57:14 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2013-08-21 18:17:30 -0700, me <> said:
    >
    >> I had the good fortune of not only being up at the corkscrew for the
    >> F-1 race, but also to be shooting cars coming into the corkscrew when
    >> this incident happened on the next to last lap of the next to last
    >> race on Sunday. Thankfully, the driver escaped unhurt, although two
    >> other drivers had to help pick the side of the car up a bit so they
    >> could extract themselves from the cockpit.
    >>
    >> http://edwardgruf.com/Flipping_out_at_2013_MMR/

    >Damn! How did he manage to do that? That first blind dip into the
    >corkscrew can surprise them, but to flip an F-1 like that... At least
    >the Williams following him didn't get involved.

    One supposedly ran over the others wheel according to the announcer.
    Never heard who the one at fault was.

    >> Did you make the event Savageduck?

    >Unfortunately not this year I had some other stuff happening. When I do
    >get up there, I usually spend the early morning in the paddock for a
    >few hours, and a bit of time way up on the bleachers at turn #4. Then I
    >make the climb up the hill to the corkscrew for the rest of the day.
    >Where were you traveling from to get to our neighborhood?

    Close to my modus operandi. I traveled from the east coast, near
    Yorktown, VA to be precise.I met some friends in LA from my SoCal
    aerospace employment days in the mid/late '80s. We drove up the coast
    reaching the track mid afternoon on Fri. Here are some pics I posted
    during the trip:

    http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-16_snaps

    I'm sure you recognize McWay Falls.

    http://edwardgruf.com/2013-08-17_Monterey_Reunion_snaps/