    http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Jun 4, 2008

  2. Al Dykes

    Pete D Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    news:g26hac$gr0$...

    > I've just started playing with Flick. It's not hard and the basics
    > are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    > Flier blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flier
    > tricks?
    >
    > I think I do some good work and would love to participate in
    > discussions of my pics and others. I haven't found that, yet.
    >
    > FWIW, here is my first go.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/
    >

    > --
    > Al Dykes
    > News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
    > advertising.
    > - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

    You will have a to join a few special interest groups and send you photos to
    them, that way others will see them, you also need to do serious tagging so
    that others can find your shots.

    Cheers.

    Pete
    Pete D, Jun 4, 2008

  3. Al Dykes

    Paul Bartram Guest

    Re: Flickr "how-to"?

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote

    > I've just started playing with Flick.

    You'll go blind!

    > It's not hard and the basics
    > are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    > Flickr blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flickr
    > tricks?

    The one that keeps coming up on Google is "How to Use Flickr: The Digital
    Photography Revolution" by Richard Giles. Sounds like what you want.

    > I think I do some good work and would love to participate in
    > discussions of my pics and others. I haven't found that, yet.

    If your pictures are fairly good, you'll get comments straight away, and
    possibly invitations to submit them to various on-topic groups.

    I must say, I sometimes wonder why quite pedestrian snapshots attract dozens
    of positive comments, whilst others which I find far more noteworthy get
    none at all. I think tags are very important, but people who bung the
    maximum of 50 on every photo, regardless of relevance, are a pain when
    keyword searching.

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Jun 5, 2008
  4. Re: Flickr "how-to"?

    Paul Bartram <p.bartram AT OR NEAR mysoul.com.au> wrote:

    > "Al Dykes" <> wrote
    >>
    >> I've just started playing with Flick.

    > You'll go blind!

    >> It's not hard and the basics
    >> are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    >> Flickr blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flickr
    >> tricks?

    > The one that keeps coming up on Google is "How to Use Flickr: The Digital
    > Photography Revolution" by Richard Giles. Sounds like what you want.

    But that's a paper book, and therefore doesn't include any of the
    useful extras Flickr or others have added to Flickr since it was
    written.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Jun 5, 2008
  5. Al Dykes

    N Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message

    > I've just started playing with Flick. It's not hard and the basics
    > are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    > Flier blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flier
    > tricks?
    >
    > I think I do some good work and would love to participate in
    > discussions of my pics and others. I haven't found that, yet.
    >
    > FWIW, here is my first go.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/
    >

    > --
    > Al Dykes
    > News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
    > advertising.
    > - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

    Do a keyword search to find some photos of subjects that might interest you.
    View the photos and look at the groups that they've been added to. If you
    like those groups then join them.

    Do a group search for things that interest you, e.g.
    http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=canon digital rebel
    N, Jun 5, 2008
  6. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    In article <4846f77a$0$30393$>,
    Pete D <> wrote:

    >"Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've just started playing with Flick. It's not hard and the basics
    >> are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    >> Flier blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flier
    >> tricks?
    >>
    >> I think I do some good work and would love to participate in
    >> discussions of my pics and others. I haven't found that, yet.
    >>
    >> FWIW, here is my first go.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/

    Thanks, all.

    I've put more pics up and added a few tags per pic but I have a
    horrible track record when I do tag searches and imagining what others
    look for then they search.

    I'm looking for a general purpose discussion group for questions and
    suggestions about specific pictures. These days I'm looking to improve
    my art and for street photography. It doesn't have to be on Flickr.

    Of the pics, so far, I'm curious to hear what people see in this
    picture.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/2547076866/

    I almost discarded it, but it is #1 hit count almost by a factor of
    two. It has blond content but clearly no cheese-cake value. It's
    rather grim, actually.

    Last night I put a pic up that had "sunbathing" in the tags that just
    overtook it.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Jun 7, 2008
  7. Al Dykes

    ASAAR Guest

    On 7 Jun 2008 12:14:01 -0400, Al Dykes wrote:

    > Of the pics, so far, I'm curious to hear what people see in this
    > picture.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/2547076866/
    >
    > I almost discarded it, but it is #1 hit count almost by a factor of
    > two. It has blond content but clearly no cheese-cake value. It's
    > rather grim, actually.

    (she's thinking) "If xxxxx didn't heat this coffee to the boiling
    point, I could have been enjoying it by now."

    The shot works well if you were trying to convey grimness. But it
    could also be seen as portraying sadness or someone deeply lost in
    contemplation. That may explain its popularity. Viewers can easily
    supply their own 'vision' to the photo. Or maybe she's thinking
    "I'll never forgive Brad for saying 'If you don't stop wolfing down
    those donuts, someday soon you'll look like Courtney Love'."
    ASAAR, Jun 7, 2008
  8. Al Dykes

    Paul Furman Guest

    N wrote:
    > "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've just started playing with Flick. It's not hard and the basics
    >> are obvious but I wonder what I'm missing. Is there an independent
    >> Flier blog, a how-to website, or even a book for advanced Flier
    >> tricks?
    >>
    >> I think I do some good work and would love to participate in
    >> discussions of my pics and others. I haven't found that, yet.
    >>
    >> FWIW, here is my first go.
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/staten-island/
    >>

    > Do a keyword search to find some photos of subjects that might interest
    > you. View the photos and look at the groups that they've been added to.
    > If you like those groups then join them.
    >
    > Do a group search for things that interest you, e.g.
    > http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?q=canon digital rebel

    Make lots of comments on other people's photos and they will likely look
    at your photos and rate them, giving you better ratings. You have to
    participate heavily in the communities, it's a lot of work.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 8, 2008