Flickr: What's the deal with the "You are ...'s newest contact" emails?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Dykes, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. Al Dykes

    Al Dykes Guest

    As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
    messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".

    I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
    deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.

    Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
    from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
    message.

    What are they and what are they good for?

    I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.

    Thanks.

    --
    Al Dykes
    Al Dykes, Jun 10, 2008

  2. Al Dykes

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: Flickr: What's the deal with the "You are ...'s newest contact"emails?

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
    > messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
    >
    > I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
    > deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
    >
    > Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
    > from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
    > message.
    >
    > What are they and what are they good for?

    It's just like putting folks in your address book. If you know the
    person, you can add them too. People viewing your profile can see your
    contact list, subscriptions, etc, so that can be a good way to network
    folks with similar interests. No need to respond if you don't know them
    & their work isn't interesting, they may just be fishing for people to
    view their images; some combination of being social & self promoting.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 10, 2008

  3. Al Dykes

    Pete D Guest

    "Al Dykes" <> wrote in message

    > As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
    > messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
    >
    > I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
    > deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
    >
    > Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
    > from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
    > message.
    >
    > What are they and what are they good for?
    >
    > I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Ummm, Flickr is actually all about socially networking, that is why you tag
    photos, so others can find them. If you don't want to do the social thing
    then don't use tags and just ignore the contacts. I use Flickr but not for
    the social thing as well except for people I actually know.

    Pete
    Pete D, Jun 10, 2008
  4. Al Dykes

    tony cooper Guest

    On 10 Jun 2008 11:51:10 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >As a new Flickr user, I've gotten a few "You are ...'s newest contact"
    >messages and I've deleted them. I don't do "social networking".
    >
    >I have a hard policy against unsolicited messages, in general. It gets
    >deleted unless there is a damn good reason to read it.
    >
    >Today I get a comment on a photo that is actually intelligent and it's
    >from someone that also sent me a "You are ...'s newest contact"
    >message.
    >
    >What are they and what are they good for?
    >
    >I don't want to appear to be impolite to the guy.

    I use several of the free image hosting sites. I use one for eBay
    image hosting, one for hobby images, and one for family images. I
    recently added Flickr in order to link to some photos for another
    newsgroup (not for photography).

    It seems that those "contacts" are people who have indicated that
    they'd like to be informed whenever you add new images. They have
    enough interest in your stuff to want to see new work, and Flickr
    seems to inform them when you add something.

    I have one "contact", and he's a regular poster to the newsgroup where
    I posted the first link. He's quite sane, he's not involved in any
    multi-level marketing schemes, he's financially better off than I am
    (he owns an airplane and often links to his aerial photographs), he's
    not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
    $72 million, and has never suggested that I buy any drugs or devices
    that promise to offer any improvements. He's never contacted me by
    email.

    Evidently, he happens to like the images I post.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 11, 2008
  5. Al Dykes

    m II Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > he's
    > not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
    > $72 million,

    As spokesman for the countless sons of Nigerian oil officials who are
    trying to dispose of $72 million (and MORE), I must take offense at your
    stereotyping. The vast majority of us are honest, caring people who
    merely need help in dispensing the funds in a loving, compassionate
    manner. Won't you help, rather than hinder? Please, send the needed tax
    payments/bribes for the officials/bank fees/handling charges now. We are
    here to help.

    Mailing address to follow.

    mike

    --
    Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage, this filter
    blocks all postings from Gmail, Google Mail and Google Groups.

    http://improve-usenet.org/
    m II, Jun 11, 2008
  6. Al Dykes

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:49:37 GMT, m II <> wrote:

    >tony cooper wrote:
    >

    >> he's
    >> not the son of an Nigerian oil official who is trying to dispose of
    >> $72 million,

    >As spokesman for the countless sons of Nigerian oil officials who are
    >trying to dispose of $72 million (and MORE), I must take offense at your
    >stereotyping. The vast majority of us are honest, caring people who
    >merely need help in dispensing the funds in a loving, compassionate
    >manner. Won't you help, rather than hinder? Please, send the needed tax
    >payments/bribes for the officials/bank fees/handling charges now. We are
    >here to help.
    >
    >Mailing address to follow.

    I apologize for my rude portrayal of your family, but I do wonder why
    you keep getting on airplanes. It would seem that you would learn
    that if a rich Nigerian gets on an airplane, it will crash. And why
    does it never occur to you to set-up offshore accounts and write a
    will before you book a flight?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jun 11, 2008
  7. Al Dykes

    m II Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    > I apologize for my rude portrayal of your family, but I do wonder why
    > you keep getting on airplanes. It would seem that you would learn
    > that if a rich Nigerian gets on an airplane, it will crash. And why
    > does it never occur to you to set-up offshore accounts and write a
    > will before you book a flight?

    We honestly don't know what more we can do. Sally Struthers *MAY* be
    available next year, but her fund raising efficacy may be somewhat
    diluted by now.

    mike

    m II, Jun 13, 2008