    interesting".
    Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?
    Thank you! Bye, Max!

    Max, Sep 22, 2007

  2. Per Max:
    >Hi!
    >I'm starting using Flickr. I notice that in the search engine, photos
    >can be ordered with 2 criterions: "most relevant" and "most
    >interesting".
    >Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?
    >Thank you! Bye, Max!

    Amen. I posed that question some months ago, but never heard an
    answer.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Sep 22, 2007

  3. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Max:
    >> Hi!
    >> I'm starting using Flickr. I notice that in the search engine, photos
    >> can be ordered with 2 criterions: "most relevant" and "most
    >> interesting".
    >> Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?
    >> Thank you! Bye, Max!

    > Amen. I posed that question some months ago, but never heard an
    > answer.

    I believe that "most relevant" orders it solely by the relevance of your
    search criteria (similar to Google's order by relevance). "Most
    interesting" uses a variation of the Flickr Interestingness algorithm
    that is used to determine which photos make it into the Explore page.
    The Interestingness algorithm is quite complex and includes the number
    of groups the photo is in (over a certain threshold makes your photo
    less interesting), the number of comments and favorites. It also takes
    into account who has commented and favorited your photos (not sure how
    it ranks accounts for determining their ability to influence
    interestingness).

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Sep 22, 2007
  4. Max

    Paul Bartram Guest

    > "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote

    > I believe that "most relevant" orders it solely by the relevance of your
    > search criteria (similar to Google's order by relevance). "Most
    > interesting" uses a variation of the Flickr Interestingness algorithm that
    > is used to determine which photos make it into the Explore page. The
    > Interestingness algorithm is quite complex and includes the number of
    > groups the photo is in (over a certain threshold makes your photo less
    > interesting), the number of comments and favorites. It also takes into
    > account who has commented and favorited your photos (not sure how it ranks
    > accounts for determining their ability to influence interestingness).

    Is it that complicated, or is it simply the number of comments received?

    All the 'Most Interesting' photos in any category have heaps of comments
    (sometimes hundreds over a long period) which suggests (a) the photo is
    exceptionally good and (b) it has attracted lots of views, therefore gaining
    many invitations to join groups.

    Nobody ever seems to comment on mine <sigh>...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Sep 23, 2007
  5. Paul Bartram wrote:
    >> "Barry L. Wallis" <> wrote

    >> I believe that "most relevant" orders it solely by the relevance of your
    >> search criteria (similar to Google's order by relevance). "Most
    >> interesting" uses a variation of the Flickr Interestingness algorithm that
    >> is used to determine which photos make it into the Explore page. The
    >> Interestingness algorithm is quite complex and includes the number of
    >> groups the photo is in (over a certain threshold makes your photo less
    >> interesting), the number of comments and favorites. It also takes into
    >> account who has commented and favorited your photos (not sure how it ranks
    >> accounts for determining their ability to influence interestingness).

    > Is it that complicated, or is it simply the number of comments received?
    >
    > All the 'Most Interesting' photos in any category have heaps of comments
    > (sometimes hundreds over a long period) which suggests (a) the photo is
    > exceptionally good and (b) it has attracted lots of views, therefore gaining
    > many invitations to join groups.
    >
    > Nobody ever seems to comment on mine <sigh>...
    >
    > Paul

    It is definitely more complicated than a simple count of comments
    (although they do play a significant role). Flickr staff have confirmed
    that the other items affect interestingess (e.g., having a photo in more
    than 10 groups) affects you're photos rating. If you are really
    interested, you can find the patent for interestingess here:
    <http://preview.tinyurl.com/uljes>

    --
    - Barry

    Barry L. Wallis, Sep 23, 2007
  6. Max

    Guest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi!
    > I'm starting using Flickr. I notice that in the search engine, photos
    > can be ordered with 2 criterions: "most relevant" and "most
    > interesting".
    > Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?

    The "interestingness" algorithm on flickr is secret, and subject to
    frequent tinkering, because they don't want people to game the system to
    get their photos rated more interesting.

    Among the factors that appear to be considered:

    * number of views
    * number of comments
    * number of people who rate the photo a favorite
    * whether the views, comments, favorites come from people in the
    photographer's contacts list, or from strangers who happened to find the
    photo noteworthy
    * how many flickr groups the photo has been posted to, and what type of
    groups they are

    Looking at the "interestingness" of my own photos, one photo with 220
    views, 1 favorite, 1 comment, is less "interesting" than one with only
    136 views , 2 favorites, 1 comment. So a favorite is clearly worth
    quite a few views.

    If you want more information and gobs of speculation, search flickr
    groups for "Magic Donkey." (Seriously, that's what people call the
    interestingness algorithm, the Magic Donkey.)

    --
    is Joshua Putnam
    <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

    Guest, Sep 24, 2007
  7. Max

    theclyde Guest

    On Sep 23, 10:57 pm, <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I'm starting using Flickr. I notice that in the search engine, photos
    > > can be ordered with 2 criterions: "most relevant" and "most
    > > interesting".
    > > Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?

    > The "interestingness" algorithm on flickr is secret, and subject to
    > frequent tinkering, because they don't want people to game the system to
    > get their photos rated more interesting.
    >
    > Among the factors that appear to be considered:
    >
    > * number of views
    > * number of comments
    > * number of people who rate the photo a favorite
    > * whether the views, comments, favorites come from people in the
    > photographer's contacts list, or from strangers who happened to find the
    > photo noteworthy
    > * how many flickr groups the photo has been posted to, and what type of
    > groups they are
    >
    > Looking at the "interestingness" of my own photos, one photo with 220
    > views, 1 favorite, 1 comment, is less "interesting" than one with only
    > 136 views , 2 favorites, 1 comment. So a favorite is clearly worth
    > quite a few views.
    >
    > If you want more information and gobs of speculation, search flickr
    > groups for "Magic Donkey." (Seriously, that's what people call the
    > interestingness algorithm, the Magic Donkey.)
    >
    > --
    > is Joshua Putnam
    > <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    > Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
    > <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html>

    I will second that. My Flickr library is still fairly small. When
    somebody marks a pic as a favorite it gets bumped right up to the top
    of my most interesting pics.

    theclyde, Sep 25, 2007
  8. Max

    Frank ess Guest

    theclyde wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 10:57 pm, <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> Hi!
    >>> I'm starting using Flickr. I notice that in the search engine,
    >>> photos can be ordered with 2 criterions: "most relevant" and "most
    >>> interesting".
    >>> Which is the difference? In which way they are calculated?

    >> The "interestingness" algorithm on flickr is secret, and subject to
    >> frequent tinkering, because they don't want people to game the
    >> system to get their photos rated more interesting.
    >>
    >> Among the factors that appear to be considered:
    >>
    >> * number of views
    >> * number of comments
    >> * number of people who rate the photo a favorite
    >> * whether the views, comments, favorites come from people in the
    >> photographer's contacts list, or from strangers who happened to
    >> find the photo noteworthy
    >> * how many flickr groups the photo has been posted to, and what
    >> type of groups they are
    >>
    >> Looking at the "interestingness" of my own photos, one photo with
    >> 220 views, 1 favorite, 1 comment, is less "interesting" than one
    >> with only 136 views , 2 favorites, 1 comment. So a favorite is
    >> clearly worth quite a few views.
    >>
    >> If you want more information and gobs of speculation, search flickr
    >> groups for "Magic Donkey." (Seriously, that's what people call the
    >> interestingness algorithm, the Magic Donkey.)
    >>
    >> --
    >> is Joshua Putnam
    >> <http://www.phred.org/~josh/>
    >> Updated Infrared Photography Gallery:
    >> <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ir.html>

    > I will second that. My Flickr library is still fairly small. When
    > somebody marks a pic as a favorite it gets bumped right up to the
    > top of my most interesting pics.

    When someone comments or "favorites" one of mine it moves up on the
    "Popular" list. Strange, but my brand of Flickr doesn't seem to have
    an "Interesting" list - that I can find, anyway.

    My most "Popular" image has 337 views, NO "Favorite" chooses, and five
    Comments; just six slots down (out of 200 on the list) is an image
    with just 25 views, two "Favorite" chooses, and one comment.

    Some one must be looking at these things.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Sep 26, 2007