    XP is 'updating them'.

    I seem to have seen this before in W98 (can't remember the condiitions).

    TIA

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    Kelly Guest

    See if line 157 helps: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

    Taskbar Repair Tool

    Kelly, Aug 6, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Unfortunately it had no effect on the problem (as I suspected).
    Something it certain items on the screen is to flicker and it is not
    just desktop items as I first thougt, for example the newsgroup listing
    (left hand pane) text is flickering as is the message pane but not
    the message or even this reply, it seems to be text with an associated icon/
    graphic. It only happend when the USB stick display is in the forground.

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 6, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Actually I think I have found a fix for it myself. If you right click
    desktop - properties,
    settings - advanced - trouble shoot and then set the hardware acceleration
    value to zero or the next highest setting it cures the problem!!!!!

    I would add that you can set the hardware acceleration back to the
    maxumum and the problem will not return, however if you close the
    Freecom program and restart it the problem will return if the
    hardware acceleration value abouve the two lowest settings, on
    the lowest two setting it will not return at all!

    Might be an idea to add this 'tweak' to your list, it is rather irrating
    having a flicker in the background!!

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 6, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Kelly Guest

    Hi,

    Good catch. Wouldn't have thought it for USB ports, etc.
    I do have a write-up under Display for this workaround.
    Glad you have it sorted and thanks for the feedback. :eek:)

    Kelly, Aug 7, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Well I kind of knew it was not the number of icons because I don't
    have very many and I have had more in the past.
    Then I was thinking the screen refresh rate but that didn't make sense,
    I had a vague recollection the reducing the hardware acceleratrion
    could help fix some problems but I don't really understand what hardware
    acceleration is anyway, but I gave it a go and got lucky.
    However I don't know if will work for other computers with different
    hardware, infact other computers may not have the problem in the first
    place. My video graphics is Radeon Xpress 200 (onboard) so I don't
    know if that is relevant or not.
    One think I did find was that I booted up today the acceleration was reset
    to maximum, not sure why that should be.

    I know I had a very similar problem in W98 on my old system (occasionally)
    but I could not identify a cause at the time (had no USB stick then)

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 7, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    Kelly Guest

    Great info....when the acceleration was reset, did it cause the same
    issue(s)?

    Kelly, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    Yea the problem returned, however I am not sure why my computer 'forget'
    the new lower hardware acceleration setting when it was rebooted. I just
    tried
    rebooting again and it remembered the setting, maybe I 'accidently' set it
    back
    to the maximum. However I seem to recall it forgetting the screen refresh
    rate
    when I set it to 75 herts and later found it set at 60 a few times.
    Maybe the registry got corrupt and it rolled it back?

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 8, 2006