    I'm looking at the Epson 4990 and the Microtek i800, like the i800
    better 'cause it has a 14" bed. Suggestions, opinions etc are welcomed.

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 22, 2006

  2. tomm42

    Terry Guest

    On 22 Mar 2006 11:18:05 -0800, "tomm42" <> wrote:

    >Yeah I know this is OT, but sometimes good photo adice goes on around
    >here. Here is what I need for work, a flatbed that will scan docs, and
    >scan 35mm slides for PowerPoint. It wouldn't hurt if I could slip in
    >some of my LF photos too ;-). Had an Epson Expression 1600, did a
    >decent job until it died. Ineed the 35mm scans at 1000ppi for
    >Powerpoint and standard 300ppi doc scanning. I often get 2-300 slides
    >with a couple of days to scan them, so I need a little speed. I have an
    >LS2000 for publication scanning.
    >I'm looking at the Epson 4990 and the Microtek i800, like the i800
    >better 'cause it has a 14" bed. Suggestions, opinions etc are welcomed.

    I have used the Canon 9950F with good results. It's A size (8.5x11
    inches), but it does have a slide holder for 12 slides at a time. It
    still takes some time, because it scans each slide one at a time, but
    at 1500 dpi it's about a minute per slide (including FARE, which is
    Canon's equivalent of ICE -- dust and scratch removal). And you can go
    do something else for 11-12 minutes while it scans all the slides.

    I found FARE to work quite well, even on Kodachrome.

    The Epson 4490 has a good reputation, but it's slide holder only holds
    4 slides, and it is supposedly significantly slower when using ICE
    than the Canon when using FARE. I have no direct experience with it,
    however.

    Not familiar with the i800.

    I think that for 1000 dpi scanning to use in powerpoint presentations,
    any of these scanners would do fine.

    Terry

    Terry, Mar 23, 2006

  3. tomm42

    Marvin Guest

    tomm42 wrote:
    > Yeah I know this is OT, but sometimes good photo adice goes on around
    > here. Here is what I need for work, a flatbed that will scan docs, and
    > scan 35mm slides for PowerPoint. It wouldn't hurt if I could slip in
    > some of my LF photos too ;-). Had an Epson Expression 1600, did a
    > decent job until it died. Ineed the 35mm scans at 1000ppi for
    > Powerpoint and standard 300ppi doc scanning. I often get 2-300 slides
    > with a couple of days to scan them, so I need a little speed. I have an
    > LS2000 for publication scanning.
    > I'm looking at the Epson 4990 and the Microtek i800, like the i800
    > better 'cause it has a 14" bed. Suggestions, opinions etc are welcomed.
    >
    > Tom

    I recently got an Epson 3490 Photo scanner, and it is
    working well for me. I haven't tried scanning a slide yet,
    but reports I've read elsewhere said it does well at that
    task. And it cost only $90 by taking advantage of a Best
    Buy offer to buy it online for pickup at a store.

    Marvin, Mar 23, 2006
  4. tomm42

    tomm42 Guest

    > I recently got an Epson 3490 Photo scanner, and it is
    > working well for me. I haven't tried scanning a slide yet,
    > but reports I've read elsewhere said it does well at that
    > task. And it cost only $90 by taking advantage of a Best
    > Buy offer to buy it online for pickup at a store.

    I need it to be able to scan 8-12 slides at once, as I often get slides
    to digitize for PowerPoint presentations. Can be 100's at a time. This
    is for work so i just ordered an Epson V700. This is Epson's
    replacement for the 4990. New model, I'll see if it works out of the

    Tom

    tomm42, Mar 23, 2006