Flashing the Canon A720

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, Apr 1, 2008.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    First of all, for those of you who are interested in Dima's condition, the
    tests came back last week, and the tumour is malignant.

    The vet also said she noticed some small spots on Dima's liver while she was
    removing Dima's spleen. Thus, Dima is, for all intents and purposes,
    retired.

    The vet says that, on a scale of 1 to 4, the severity of the cancer would be
    at the 3rd stage. Thus, we should prepare ourselves for as little as a
    couple of months, but the type of cancer she has -- hemoragic sarcoma
    (spelling?) -- is sufficiently unpredictable that she could have up to six
    or eight months.

    At present, the surgery has helped her quite a bit. She has more energy,
    and is even playful at times. I'm hoping the snow will melt quick enough
    for me to take her outside and get some shots to post in her honour.

    In preparation for those shots, I dragged some of my old flashes out. I'm
    hoping to get a nicely lit, three or four flash shot, but I've noticed some
    interesting effects when I try to use some of my odd assortment of flashes
    with my Canon A720.

    First of all, I shot a few tests with my HF-DC1, the remote, slave fired
    flash Canon produces for the A series cameras. This flash works great in
    the various auto modes, but I can't seem to get it to fire when the camera
    is in manual mode.

    Up until now, this hasn't been a problem, as I've been mainly playing around
    with the various auto modes, and tended to shoot existing light when in
    manual mode. However, I have a couple of flashes I want to use for Dima's
    shots that will only work with the A720 in manual mode, or, at least, they
    work best in manual.

    My old Pentax AF 240Z flash tends to over-power the camera's circuitry when
    in the auto modes. It works wonderfully in manual mode, but the image goes
    really dark when in any of the auto modes. My Canon Speedlite 540 ez has a
    similar problem when at or near full power, but works relatively well when
    around 60% or less of full output.

    Now, having said all that, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get the
    HF-DC1 to work in manual mode, or why non-HF-DC1 flashes won't work properly
    in the auto modes with the A720. (Yes, I know they can't be sync'd with the
    camera's circuitry. But, I think they should work if triggered by a slave.)

    I have a couple of sighted volunteers who are helping me to read through my
    manuals, but they aren't photographers, so the search for info related to
    this problem has been slow and non-productive. I'd appreciate whatever
    insight you can offer.

    Thanks,
    Dudley

    Once again, if you love dogs, think about donating to Guide Dogs for the
    Blind at:

    http://www.guidedogs.com

    or,

    1-800-295-4050

    Dima has been a great guide, and GDB has been incredible in helping her to
    retire with as comfortable a life as possible.

    Dudley Hanks, Apr 1, 2008

  2. Dudley Hanks

    John Turco Guest

    Dudley Hanks wrote:

    > First of all, for those of you who are interested in Dima's condition, the
    > tests came back last week, and the tumour is malignant.
    >
    > The vet also said she noticed some small spots on Dima's liver while she was
    > removing Dima's spleen. Thus, Dima is, for all intents and purposes,
    > retired.
    >
    > The vet says that, on a scale of 1 to 4, the severity of the cancer would be
    > at the 3rd stage. Thus, we should prepare ourselves for as little as a
    > couple of months, but the type of cancer she has -- hemoragic sarcoma
    > (spelling?) -- is sufficiently unpredictable that she could have up to six
    > or eight months.

    Hello, Dudley:

    It's "hemorrhagic sarcoma," actually.

    > At present, the surgery has helped her quite a bit. She has more energy,
    > and is even playful at times. I'm hoping the snow will melt quick enough
    > for me to take her outside and get some shots to post in her honour.

    <edited for brevity>

    Sad news, indeed. One hopes that you'll have enough time to snap lots of
    pics of Dima, at least.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 5, 2008